Starter Advice?

Hey Folks - 

Gorgeous a.m. here in Raleigh - went out to fly and Lucy (2977L) decided to crap the bed on me yet again.  I'm writing a LOT more checks than flying :(

So I know there are a lot of articles on here and this might be a beaten dead horse - but is it obvious - do I just replace the starter with a Sky-Tec - and use:skytec 149NL?

Pro's cons, anything I need to know? Lots of labor hours?  Lucy is a 1967 M20F...

THANK YOU ALL!!

PITA because you have to drop the bottom cowl, at least on my  C.

Make sure they do a good job sealing up the baffle around it after installing.

Consider a B&C starter - similar weight, supposedly more durable - you don’t want to have to do this again anytime soon.

https://bandc.com/product/bc315-starter-stc-pma/

If you can use a 149 PM I have one I'd sell you cheap - it's several years old but working fine when removed.. (When I installed the SabreCowl I had to replace the PM with a NL to make room for the new baffling.) The difference between the PM and the NL is how the solenoid is mounted. I think Aircraft Spruce links to the Hartzell (now owns SkyTec) spec sheets where you can compare the models.

I don't think we had to remove the bottom cowl to install on the E but it is tight quarters and "PITA" is fair. You may have to remove or loosen the RAM air, alternator, fuel servo... an experienced mechanic will be more efficient and bleed less. 

I replaced my Prestolite with a 149-NL. Gave me an additional 7 lbs UL. 

Starting seems to catch faster (3-4 blades) over the old one. 

Yes, it was a pain to install (lower cowl removed, drop the fuel servo to get to a couple bolts, some baffling adjustments), but it’s good now. 

Went with a B&C.   There were too many threads about how great Skytecs customer service was in replacing their broken ones.  My understanding is the B&C is bearings and the Skytec is bushings.

Need to count the teeth on your starter gear ring that goes around the prop.    for the B&C you have to make a small bracket that goes over to the alternator bracket.   The custom cut the baffling.

Have a Skytech which was installed at first annual.  Required a little rubber mallet love at 2nd fuel stop to start, replaced no issue.  When remounting motor last winter the screws/bolts holding it together were loose.  Tightened up and no real issue.  Overall I haven’t been very impressed with it.  

Have a Skytech which was installed at first annual.  Required a little rubber mallet love at 2nd fuel stop to start, replaced no issue.  When remounting motor last winter the screws/bolts holding it together were loose.  Tightened up and no real issue.  Overall I haven’t been very impressed with it.  

I also had a loose bolt on a skytech I had installed 3 years ago, found it when removing engine for overhaul, after ~500 hours. Put some loctite on it and retighten, will add that to annual checks.

Tom
  • Thanks 1