Prospective owner of M20B

Hello folks,

i am considering purchasing a 1961 M20B. I would like to ask for some feedback on this particular model. Any quirks? Anything I should be aware of? 

This particular airplane has the prop AD and fuel tanks have been resealed. I haven’t gotten to deep into the logs yet for anything else. 

Is there anything that needs to be done to make the airplane better? I know it was only made 1 year before going to the C model.

thanks

All Mooneys are good... except the wooden tail ones...

Fortunately they have all been replaced...

M20Bs are pretty good too... a few small things here and there got improved upon, so they called that an M20C...

More things got improved in 1965, and they called that an M20C... as well...

The C’s rudder got extended... you know what they call that one? An M20C.

Some of the modifications like a larger rudder throw.... is applicable to the M20B... check the logs to see if anything has been updated like that...

There is a list around here somewhere... all the modifications that came out each year...

Some Bs might Still be sporting their machine screw hardware on the cowl... newer M20Cs went to fancy Dzus 1/4 turn fasteners For ease of use...

Cross wind control is improved with the longer rudder, with the larger rudder throw...

PP thoughts only... the 180hp all aluminum Mooney M20B, flys a lot like a180hp M20C.... 

PPIs are everything... read the log books first...

Welcome aboard,

-a-

• Like 1

I have a '62 C but would actually have preferred a B model.  Manual gear and fully manual flaps.   It also has thicker gauge aluminum for the skins.  Downside (if applicable) is lower gross weight which I am never near with my two children under 30lbs each.  I, however,  would only be interested with an updated panel.  If not updated the throttle and mixture are nowhere near each other.