Anyone in the CLT area?

Wrench978

Hi all.  Sorry for another one of "these" threads.  I am in the process (made an offer/waiting for a response) of trying to buy a 68 M20G in North Carolina.  The biggest hurdle is that I live in Puerto Rico.  I was hoping there might be someone knowledgeable in the area to swing by and take a look at the plane before I spend money on a plane ticket and pre-buy inspection.  From everything that I can tell, it seems like the plane is a good fit for me and my wife.  and I certainly plan on checking it out in person once a price is agreed upon.  I just don't want to drop 500+ bucks to take a look at every plane that pops up on the internet.  

Is anyone able to help me out?

(Ive already figured that AGL would be a good bet for PPI (although Im open to other suggestions), but if things go through, I will need suggestions on transition training, as well!

Many thanks to @eman1200 for going to take a look at the plane for me! 

Anyone care to chime in on the plane? For what i would be willing to pay, I don’t expect perfection, but I’m curious if stuff like the rusty hinge bolts or staining by the fuel sump is something to run from. The paint is not a deal breaker for me. I don’t have access to a hangar and the sun is strong here. 

Can I ask what you are considering getting the plane for? Feel free to PM me if you want, just curious what a G model like that commands in today's market. Happy to tell you what I paid for my G model too back in Dec 2016 if you PM me.

Anyway--I can't speak much to the plane. My initial instinct from the pictures would be to tread lightly and have ample $$$ in reserve for unexpected maintenance.  The interior does look clean at least.

That G is in poor shape.

4 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I hate to be negative but that is one dog of a Mooney.  Find one that hasn’t been sitting outside on a ramp with failed paint rusting and corroding forever and ever.

Jim

Agreed. Just looking at the specs, in the next few years, I'd wager you'd:

- Spend at least 15K on an engine overhaul
- Probably need to bring in ADSB compliant by 2020. Another 10K if you go the 430W + 330ES route, there are cheaper alternatives, but how long are you going to want to fly that thing without an IFR GPS? Maybe you don't need one, but still..better planes for better prices to be had out there.

And then it's just hard to take pride of ownership on a plane that so desperately needs paint, etc. Why do you want a G vs a C or something of the sort? Do you prefer the mid body cabins?

Many thanks to [mention=12849]eman1200[/mention] for going to take a look at the plane for me! 
Anyone care to chime in on the plane? For what i would be willing to pay, I don’t expect perfection, but I’m curious if stuff like the rusty hinge bolts or staining by the fuel sump is something to run from. The paint is not a deal breaker for me. I don’t have access to a hangar and the sun is strong here. 

Jimmy has a C model coming in that may be what you’re looking for. Saw the plane here in Pennsylvania. Maintained by Weber’s (MSC). Met the owner. Plane hasn’t flown a lot but has been maintained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 minutes ago, AlexLev said:

That G is in poor shape.

Agreed. Just looking at the specs, in the next few years, I'd wager you'd:

- Spend at least 15K on an engine overhaul
- Probably need to bring in ADSB compliant by 2020. Another 10K if you go the 430W + 330ES route, there are cheaper alternatives, but how long are you going to want to fly that thing without an IFR GPS? Maybe you don't need one, but still..better planes for better prices to be had out there.

And then it's just hard to take pride of ownership on a plane that so desperately needs paint, etc. Why do you want a G vs a C or something of the sort? Do you prefer the mid body cabins?

The engine has 810 hours on it, 300 in the last 3 years. What makes you say is be looking at an overhaul soon?

as far as ADSB, I would likely put a stratus in it, so a little over 4K. I agree that a 430w would be nice, but it’s just not a necessity. I don’t have my IR yet, and my priority would be flying the crap out of the plane and IR training. 

Im looking at mid bodies cause I would like the option of taking friends. After sitting in an E yesterday, I can see the issue with fitting people in the back seats

6 minutes ago, Wrench978 said:

The engine has 810 hours on it, 300 in the last 3 years. What makes you say is be looking at an overhaul soon?

as far as ADSB, I would likely put a stratus in it, so a little over 4K. I agree that a 430w would be nice, but it’s just not a necessity. I don’t have my IR yet, and my priority would be flying the crap out of the plane and IR training. 

Im looking at mid bodies cause I would like the option of taking friends. After sitting in an E yesterday, I can see the issue with fitting people in the back seats

300 in last year 3 years is promising, but how do you know the owner didn't find a little bit of metal in oil changes? I'd personally feel a lot more comfortable with the plane if I can put 10-20 hours on it and then take a look at the oil filter myself, but good luck finding a way to do that. And yes -- it makes sense that you want a mid-body given your mission. I have passengers often and find the G a great plane for bringing at least 2 other pax, and I've had 4 people in it on at least 5-8 occassions for even long cross countries and everyone was cozy.

My G's engine started making metal after I put 200 hours on it. It had 900 hours SMOH when I bought it. In o-360s the cam+lifters are the weakest link. I certainly could have put it on the market then and no one would have been the wiser if I changed the oil before putting it on the market. All I'm saying is, it's wise to have some cash reserves for expenses like this when you're buying any airplane as it could always happen to you too.

I got my G to do IFR training in it and got my instrument rating in it. Let me say this - It would have sucked to not have a 430W because you'd have to relearn so much...and your instrument rating is so much harder without an IFR GPS.

Edited by AlexLev