Stepwise Panel Work

So, cheap bastard here.

I'm faced with the ADS-B thing, and have a long term plan for my panel, but would like to wait until stuff fails to make the upgrades.  I have some late 90s king 53, 197, and 62A radios, a GX 60, and a JPI 800, a Century 2000, AI, HSI, strikefinder.  I'm happy with the aluminum panel layouts, modern 6 pack on the left, electric backup AI.  Without the ADS-B issue, I could nurse the GX 60 data through the end of 2021 with a last update in November 2020:

https://support.jeppesen.com/article?pc=&pid=&aid=kA20z000000GvMLCA0

Ultimately, I'd like an Aspen in the center of the 6 pack, and the center stack to be a 440 over a Lynx, with legacy audio panel above.  I'd leave a nav in the second stack under the Century 2000 in the right stack and move the second radio below it, replacing the transponder.  I'd put an Ipad Mini on the pilot's yoke.

What I'd really like to do now is just add the 9000 on the bottom of the center stack, and wait to do any more until either a major failure of existing hardware or the end of 2021.  Any thoughts on how much of a cost penalty in doing the two-step over stepwise or all at once?  Also, is there such a thing as pre-wiring harnesses or is the FAA not cool with harnesses in place with unused connectors?

The 800 screen is getting iffy.  Anyone know if an 800 can be upgraded to eliminate legacy instruments with a new screen?

Thanks,

Phil

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/jpi-edm800-upg.htm

20180710_174510.jpg

20180710_174513.jpg

Edited by 65eTurbo
Added images

A picture of your panel would help any with advice to visualize what you are describing.

Doing it all is the most efficient since you are only in there once, but it's also a major investment.

If you have to do one thing right now, I agree that getting the Lynx would be a good move. It gets you ADS-B in and out and will talk to the other things you are describing in the future (AVIDYNE 440, ASPEN). Make sure if you do that they they pre-wire what will come out of the lynx to go to the Avidyne & Aspen. (The Lynx is upgradeable and will allow you to add active traffic if you ever wanted it in the future.)

The 800 can't be upgraded to replace factory instruments. The only JPI's that can do that are a 900 or 930.

So, cheap bastard here.
I'm faced with the ADS-B thing, and have a long term plan for my panel, but would like to wait until stuff fails to make the upgrades.  I have some late 90s king 53, 197, and 62A radios, a GX 60, and a JPI 800, a Century 2000, AI, HSI, strikefinder.  I'm happy with the aluminum panel layouts, modern 6 pack on the left, electric backup AI.  Without the ADS-B issue, I could nurse the GX 60 data through the end of 2021 with a last update in November 2020:
https://support.jeppesen.com/article?pc=&pid=&aid=kA20z000000GvMLCA0
Ultimately, I'd like an Aspen in the center of the 6 pack, and the center stack to be a 440 over a Lynx, with legacy audio panel above.  I'd leave a nav in the second stack under the Century 2000 in the right stack and move the second radio below it, replacing the transponder.  I'd put an Ipad Mini on the pilot's yoke.
What I'd really like to do now is just add the 9000 on the bottom of the center stack, and wait to do any more until either a major failure of existing hardware or the end of 2021.  Any thoughts on how much of a cost penalty in doing the two-step over stepwise or all at once?  Also, is there such a thing as pre-wiring harnesses or is the FAA not cool with harnesses in place with unused connectors?
The 800 screen is getting iffy.  Anyone know if an 800 can be upgraded to eliminate legacy instruments with a new screen?
Thanks,
Phil

I did my panel piecemeal starting in 2012 and finishing with the last upgrade in 2017. If you aren’t certain what you’ll stick in the panel in the future, I would hold off on pre-wiring. Whatever you think you might wire for now may no longer be what you want to wire for in the future (ex. maybe there will be a touchscreen Aspen in 2021 that uses a different protocol or you have a change of heart and want to go with a Garmin GTN).

The downside of piecemeal is that it will cost you more to perform panel surgery multiple times. And at some point, you may get tired of the Frankenstein panel and want new panels cut.

I would just drop in the Lynx, take advantage of the WiFi connectivity it has with iPad apps and wait until you see where you want to head with avionics in the future.

After my upgrade in 2012, I really didn’t like the Aspens sitting proud of the panel, wanted to get rid of the vacuum system and the no longer needed steam gauges. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done everything at once.

The Frankenstein thing just made the panel look cheap. This picture was taken just before the final upgrade in 2017. In between 2012 and this picture, I installed the GNC 255B because the Narco Mark 12D+ failed, I got a deal on a GTX 327 transponder that would work with my GTN, I removed a JPI 830 for a 900 and removed all of the factory gauges that remained.

8f3a5ab91975de4e8a1d0b74e9aa5b62.jpg

In 2017, i installed the Lynx 9000+ (love it), installed an ESI-500, dumped the vacuum system, removed all of the no longer needed steam gauges and recessed the Aspens. At the same time I had new panels cut and got rid of the Frankenstein look.

When the STEC 3100 is available, will have the STEC 60-2 removed which will result in a new left panel being cut.

47260989da3a1ffcbf008d5a8412d110.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10 hours ago, 65eTurbo said:

JPI used to offer the 830 as an upgrade.  They'll sell the display without the sensors.  The other alternative is to buy a display that was pulled out of another airplane for upgrade.  Shameless plug- I pulled a JPI700 out of my Bonanza.  It's my understanding that the instrument is the same- 700-->800 is just more sensors.  I don't know if it would need to go back to JPI for configuration.

22 hours ago, Marauder said:

I did my panel piecemeal starting in 2012 and finishing with the last upgrade in 2017. 

Do you really expect us to believe 2017 was the year of your "last upgrade"?  We understand that's what Mrs. Marauder thinks, but you're supposed to be straight with us. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Do you really expect us to believe 2017 was the year of your "last upgrade"?  We understand that's what Mrs. Marauder thinks, but you're supposed to be straight with us. :)

One of you told her about MooneySpace. I am now Sargent Schultz "I know NUTHIN!!" :D

But I am secretly planning my Aspen Max upgrades to go with the STEC 3100. Shhhhhhhh! Be very quiet!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smccray said:

JPI used to offer the 830 as an upgrade.  They'll sell the display without the sensors.  The other alternative is to buy a display that was pulled out of another airplane for upgrade.  Shameless plug- I pulled a JPI700 out of my Bonanza.  It's my understanding that the instrument is the same- 700-->800 is just more sensors.  I don't know if it would need to go back to JPI for configuration.

No, the 800 has an extra portion of the display at the top, to show RPM, % Pwr and MP.

I have spare 700's and 800's for replacing bad displays....

Also do 830,900 and 930's 'upgrade packages'.

Don

• Like 1