Lose push to talk yoke switch

apenney

During the final 15 minutes of a cross country this week, I was about to be handed off to the CTAF but approach wasn't responding to my replies.  I noticed the PTT switch on my yoke  was lose...then noticed the nut was almost off.  I think I couldn't depress the switch down enough to activate it.  I couldn't screw it back on in flight  so I plugged into the co-pilot side and used that PTT switch the rest of the flight and back.  Is there anything more to this securing the  switch other than the lose nut?  Also, my socket doesn't fit in this small diameter space.  Next I'll  bring some needle nose pliers but just wanted to check in case anything else might be involved.  Annual is next week but figured I can at least screw in a nut.  Thanks.