Time for a new Starter

I guess 32 years is the max life span of the starter on my TSIO360. I couldn't get it to start the other day, and suspected a dead battery. I left the plane with the shop so they could charge the battery. Evidently the battery was fine. But the starter wouldn't move. Here's some of the stuff that fell out when they opened up the starter. A new one is on the way.

20190321_122835_HDR.thumb.jpg.cd12561fd3c20853b1df75b03936b574.jpg

20190321_122829_HDR.thumb.jpg.b589d7e2f8a2b9e10062978f2026bddb.jpg

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I guess 32 years is the max life span of the starter on my TSIO360. I couldn't get it to start the other day, and suspected a dead battery. I left the plane with the shop so they could charge the battery. Evidently the battery was fine. But the starter wouldn't move. Here's some of the stuff that fell out when they opened up the starter. A new one is on the way.

"Well there's your problem!"  Zoicks! :blink:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

20190321_122835_HDR.thumb.jpg.cd12561fd3c20853b1df75b03936b574.jpg

20190321_122829_HDR.thumb.jpg.b589d7e2f8a2b9e10062978f2026bddb.jpg

Must be on a texas plane, all that corrosion and all.... :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I’ve thrown away at least a dozen SkyTec 3 & 5 in favour of Tempest or TCM versions, I couldn’t give them away, no one wanted them.

Clarence, any better luck with the Sky-Tec 149-NL on a Lyc?

Skip

6 hours ago, PT20J said:

Clarence, any better luck with the Sky-Tec 149-NL on a Lyc?

Skip

Skip,

We haven’t replaced them because of a particular failure, but because the others crank a big bore Continental faster for better starting and longer starter adapter life.

The Lycoming versions generally work quite well, I’ve replaced one due to actual failure.

Clarence

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

The Lycoming versions generally work quite well, I’ve replaced one due to actual failure.

Thanks, Clarence.

The previous owned put one on in 2017 replacing an earlier 149-24LS Sky-Tec installed in 2000 that had a crack. 

Skip

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Off memory I think your mags looked similar?  You might want to IRAN your alternators (I think there’re rear mounted?). Problems like this are not fun on the road, like the middle of polar bear country :) 

I was out at the shop this morning and commented that I wonder if we pulled a cylinder, if the piston would fall out in 20 different pieces. As you said, my Mag was the same when we pulled it apart. We have IRAN the belt driven alternator because it's easy to get too, but not the gear driven alternator yet. At nearly 1600 hours, I'm hoping to get one more year out of this engine. It will then be over TBO and still with the original cylinders. At that time I'll go from an MB to an SB engine.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I was out at the shop this morning and commented that I wonder if we pulled a cylinder, if the piston would fall out in 20 different pieces. As you said, my Mag was the same when we pulled it apart. We have IRAN the belt driven alternator because it's easy to get too, but not the gear driven alternator yet. At nearly 1600 hours, I'm hoping to get one more year out of this engine. It will then be over TBO and still with the original cylinders. At that time I'll go from an MB to an SB engine.

Is the SB engine the one that makes your hand tremor when you write the check?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Is the SB engine the one that makes your hand tremor when you write the check?

I'm pretty sure all engines do that. :wacko:

The SB is 220 hp and is part of what makes the 252 an Encore, which adds 200 lbs to the gross weight and therefore increases the UL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm pretty sure all engines do that. :wacko:

The SB is 220 hp and is part of what makes the 252 an Encore, which adds 200 lbs to the gross weight and therefore increases the UL.

It's not the 60 AMU engine is it? That is the one that is in the Bravo?

I'm glad you found that out about your starter at your home base and not up in the middle of nowhere in Manitoba on your trip last summer. Whatever brand that was on there (probably Energizer) - if it's been on there 33 years that was one tough starter.

After looking over my logs, I made a simple excel file on accessories and how many hours and when was the last date replaced on starter, alternator(s), mags, (I used to on vacuum pumps). When I did the top end overhaul and I had some down time I had both alternators rebuilt (they had never been done) and one mag done (it had 400+ hours anyway - according the accessory shop it was good I did).

If I make a long trip where it might be very inconvenient if I had a starter fail (I've been to Canada a few times,  the extra one I have in the hangar goes in the rubbermaid box in the baggage compartment. Having it and not needing it is my goal.)

(By the way I have an extra Energizer or two in the hangar. Since I don't have Continental powered Mooney if anyone wants a great deal on a spare let me know.)

(I recently got a good deal on an extra mag for the right side - I might bring that on long trips in the future just in case.  I wonder if I could fit an extra TIO-540-AF1B Lycoming back there. . .lol?)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Airways said:

Can you just replace the MB with an SB or do you need to go for the whole “Encore-conversion” treatment ?

I'm guessing here... but from what I know, I'd expect that if you went MB to SB, you'd have to do the rest of the Encore conversion. You'd have 10 extra HP that you didn't have before and that would change the performance. That also requires relabeling the Tach and MP gauge (new redlines). 

But then if you've done the MB to SB, why not complete the Encore conversion and enjoy the increased UL. You've done the expensive bit anyway.

7 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

(By the way I have an extra Energizer or two in the hangar. Since I don't have Continental powered Mooney if anyone wants a great deal on a spare let me know.)

I should have known to call you first. Will they fit my 252? IF so, I might take one.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:49 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Original jugs at TBO in a TSIO360?  You’re doing something right!  (I suspect: flying the heck out of it.)