G3X Touch Certified

And the highlighted portion is also interesting...

For aircraft that can benefit from a modern autopilot, the GFC 500 autopilot provides workload-reducing features such as auto-trim, flight director, airspeed climbs and descents, dedicated level (LVL) mode and more. Garmin Electronic Stability and Protection (ESP), underspeed and overspeed protection are also available as standard and work in the background to help pilots avoid inadvertent flight attitudes or bank angles while the pilot is hand-flying the aircraft. The addition of yaw damping (YD) minimizes yawing oscillations and helps maintain coordinated flight by keeping the slip/skid indicator centered. Additionally, G3X Touch can now serve as an attitude source for the GFC 500 autopilot, which does not require the G5 electronic flight instrument when installed with G3X Touch. The GFC 500 is available as an option for select models of the Beechcraft Bonanza, Cessna 172/182/210, Grumman AA-5, Mooney M20 and the Piper PA-28 with additional certifications in progress. 

1 minute ago, Oldguy said:

For aircraft that can benefit from a modern autopilot, the GFC 500 autopilot provides workload-reducing features such as auto-trim, flight director, airspeed climbs and descents, dedicated level (LVL) mode and more. Garmin Electronic Stability and Protection (ESP), underspeed and overspeed protection are also available as standard and work in the background to help pilots avoid inadvertent flight attitudes or bank angles while the pilot is hand-flying the aircraft. The addition of yaw damping (YD) minimizes yawing oscillations and helps maintain coordinated flight by keeping the slip/skid indicator centered. Additionally, G3X Touch can now serve as an attitude source for the GFC 500 autopilot, which does not require the G5 electronic flight instrument when installed with G3X Touch. The GFC 500 is available as an option for select models of the Beechcraft Bonanza, Cessna 172/182/210, Grumman AA-5, Mooney M20 and the Piper PA-28 with additional certifications in progress. 

However, you can install G5 as a backup, and you get full reversion with GFC 500.  This sounds kind of awesome.  Wonder what the battery backup time on the G3X is?  I was planning to do GFC 500 next year, but G3X 10+7 is only $15k or so.  It's really tempting to do something like 10"on the left, pair of G5 for backups, 7" on the right side.  Wonder if failover can be set up with that in mind?

18 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Not a surprise, though... The G3X Touch was the original attitude source for the experimental version of the GFC 500, before the G5 even came out. In fact, a G3X Touch and servos was all you needed. 

It seems like the G5 would still be good for a backup?

2 minutes ago, thomas1142 said:

Where is the list of airplanes that are covered?

Not sure, but we are probably included somewhere in there.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has granted Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) approval for the installation of G3X Touch in nearly 500 certified single-engine piston aircraft, which is supported by Garmin’s expansive dealer network and its award-winning aviation support team.  The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has granted Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) approval for the installation of G3X Touch in nearly 500 certified single-engine piston aircraft, which is supported by Garmin’s expansive dealer network and its award-winning aviation support team. 

6 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Eating crow...

This could destroy other companies in the gps/nav/com and pfd market. 

It's important to note that neither of the two new GPS units has any Nav/Com capability. But, I did notice that they're pretty much exactly the same size as a KLN 89B, so those million Cessnas (and others) from 1997-2003 that featured the KLN 89B with a pair of KX155s below it now have a pretty easy way to upgrade to a modern WAAS navigator and potentially ADS-B as well.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has granted Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) approval for the installation of G3X Touch in nearly 500 certified single-engine piston aircraft, which is supported by Garmin’s expansive dealer network and its award-winning aviation support team. 

Well, it says 500 aircraft, not 500 models... just saying :)

Edited by Steve W
  • Like 1

Also, while this probably doesn't matter to most of you, the G3X Touch was only certified for single-engine airplanes. That's apparently how Garmin is going to protect a market for the G500 TXi. I think there's likely enough commonality between the G500 TXi, G600 TXi, and G700 TXi that they're not worried if the 500 doesn't sell too much. In fact, I think the only difference may be the level of software testing applied to each.

1 minute ago, flyingcheesehead said:

Also, while this probably doesn't matter to most of you, the G3X Touch was only certified for single-engine airplanes. That's apparently how Garmin is going to protect a market for the G500 TXi. I think there's likely enough commonality between the G500 TXi, G600 TXi, and G700 TXi that they're not worried if the 500 doesn't sell too much. In fact, I think the only difference may be the level of software testing applied to each.

And the number of buttons, don't forget that.

37 minutes ago, flyingcheesehead said:

It's important to note that neither of the two new GPS units has any Nav/Com capability. But, I did notice that they're pretty much exactly the same size as a KLN 89B, so those million Cessnas (and others) from 1997-2003 that featured the KLN 89B with a pair of KX155s below it now have a pretty easy way to upgrade to a modern WAAS navigator and potentially ADS-B as well.

I have a feeling Garmin might expand the 175/375 into nav/com territory in the future. 

Here is an interesting graphic.  So the G3X has Nav/Com built-in.  Interested to see what it looks like with a GTN 750.  I wonder if the 750 becomes the secondary comms.

I have a call into my TXi dealer to find out if I can switch to the G3X and maybe add the GFC 500 for the same cost as the TXi hardware.

G3XTouchCertified_GDU460withGNX375.png

15 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Here is an interesting graphic.  So the G3X has Nav/Com built-in.  Interested to see what it looks like with a GTN 750.  I wonder if the 750 becomes the secondary comms.

I have a call into my TXi dealer to find out if I can switch to the G3X and maybe add the GFC 500 for the same cost as the TXi hardware.

I believe the radios are just LRUs.  It's not clear if the remote radios are part of the STC or not, but either way it's pretty cool.

I have the TXI in my panel.  I saw something coming- I actually have all the wiring done to plug and play the G3X on the right side of my panel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hypertech said:

I'm wondering if this is my FIKI solution.  If it can drive the GFC500 autopilot without a G5, then maybe this works.  Anyone have a summary of the difference in operation between a G3X and a G500txi.

Paging @Jetlag.  I suspect he has some information he can share about this.  My money is that he's been under an NDA so he may need to wait until Garmin releases him, but hoping he can share more about his GFC500 install and recent flight with the new equipment.

Edit- OKAY.. now we know he has something to share- King equipment in the classifieds.  This is going to be good...

Edited by smccray
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bryan said:

G3XTouchCertified_GDU460withGNX375.png

Interesting diagram, why would you need the GAD-29/29B if you have the GFC-500?

I just talked to my avionics. I can switch but basically have to install a GFC 500 to get all the features - which is not yet approved for the J's and K's.   They said expected May 2019 on the J's and K's - kits are avaiable for the M, R, S today. Its not yet clear how much integration it has with the old autopilots.  Going with the GFC 500 will give me flight director.

• Like 3