Powered Tow Bars

Air Horse or whatever it is now called is offered by Tiffin Aire, Tiffin, OH. Always intrigued me, looked buildable but when this appeared on eBay I couldn’t help myself. The rest of the story is that it is a dream to pull with, but backing up the short coupled Mooney involves a very steep learning curve. I know what you’re thinking, “ why, I can see how to do that”. Uh-huh. There are a couple layers of complexity to wrap your head around. (Spoken from a farm kid who used to back up a tractor pulling a baler and two hay wagons.) Anyway, yes it’s a great way to get to the gas pump.

Oh, and I always manage to get the rubber seal tucked back into the cowl. Eventually. Thanks.

• Like 1

Something I honestly don't get. My Mooney is a tight fit in my hangar, so I've never been that interested in a power tow.  Easier to get hangar rash than if I just push in in by hand, and I can always use the exercise.

I push in my Mooney.  Now, I am easily the smallest person on this board.  I was the smallest guy at the Mooney gathering at Oshkosh (except the kids), and I can push my Mooney uphill into its hangar.  I that to be way, way easier for you big guys than me, especially because I bet you guys can see over the nose when you put your airplane away.  I can't at all.

And power tow thingies are expensive, an anathema to us CBs.

So why the profusion of power tow devices?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steingar said:

Something I honestly don't get. My Mooney is a tight fit in my hangar, so I've never been that interested in a power tow.  Easier to get hangar rash than if I just push in in by hand, and I can always use the exercise.

I push in my Mooney.  Now, I am easily the smallest person on this board.  I was the smallest guy at the Mooney gathering at Oshkosh (except the kids), and I can push my Mooney uphill into its hangar.  I that to be way, way easier for you big guys than me, especially because I bet you guys can see over the nose when you put your airplane away.  I can't at all.

Why the power devices - since CBs Mooney owners also like gadgets generally and they love the idea of a gadget that is cheaper than expected - CB's love fooling the system.

I have the "aerotow" that I found on craigslist doing a crawler search nationwide and I found one next state away, but near my brother in law - and my son happened to be there for several days - so he picked it up for me.  $300 cash.

I agree it is harder to accurately steer the airplane with a power device, but depends on how much is your uphill if you can do it.  I. am bigger than your average and I can say I was doing it by hand for years but its hard. And even harder on ice.  

I used to be a DA40 owner and they have an even bigger wingspan - 39' 6'' if I remember right and there were a few that operated out of a 40' hangar!!!  They use rails screwed into the ground to guid the wheels perfectly along a track and then a winch to pull it from behind along the rails.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aviatoreb said:

I agree it is harder to accurately steer the airplane with a power device, but depends on how much is your uphill if you can do it.  I. am bigger than your average and I can say I was doing it by hand for years but its hard. And even harder on ice. 

Most days if its icy enough to give me trouble I stay home.  Then again, where I live if its icy its either IFR (I'm VFR only) or too cold to preflight an airplane.

1 minute ago, steingar said:

Most days if its icy enough to give me trouble I stay home.  Then again, where I live if its icy its either IFR (I'm VFR only) or too cold to preflight an airplane.

Well you asked why do people....  and I said.

There are plenty plenty of days when there is some ice on the ground on the tarmac, the sky is clear and blue and gorgeous, and the runway is perfectly plowed and even the tarmac is sufficient but it is slippery to pull back on a tow bar by hand.   Or somewhere in between where yes there are clouds and it may take an IFR clearance to pop through a thin layer of 2kft ceilings to clear blue on top.  Anyway the mantra too icy to pull out the mooney too icy to fly isn't my mantra and a $300 device makes life easier and back to your question - why do Mooney owners buy such a thing when you can push it for free.  I am "big and strong" so goes the appearance so I was describing why I got one.

54 minutes ago, steingar said:

Excepting @Yetti, I am probably in the taller group of owners and have used my Power Tow since I got my plane. Why? I have had something called 2nd degree spondylolisthesis since I was 15 (~40 years), and let's just say bending over to get the right angle and "oomph" on the tow bar to go up the slope into my hangar can put me in enough pain I am unable to do much for a week.

Sucks getting old, but sucks a bit more getting old at a young age.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steingar said:

Good question. I’m 5’6” and 145 lbs. I never needed a powered tow bar until I got a hangar with a very slight uphill slope on the ramp in front and a lip between the pavement and hangar floor. It doesn’t take much of an incline to make pushing it hard to do. If my ground was level, I would have saved the money for gas.:)

There is very good low speed control with the sidewinder and I actually think it is easier to position it safely into my tight fit hangar than with the tow bar since I am standing more erect and can see better. 

Old guy I feel your pain I had(have) 4th degree spondyl and 8 surgery’s and 7 fusions I need an assist in moving my plane. I look healthy as a horse, if you need any advice or anything re your condition I can give you advice if wanted, Johns Hopkins fixed up a fair amount of damage done by other surgeons.

How does the $295 BE-3 XL hand-pull bar lock in? Anyone own this? It looks robust and is only 4lbs.

https://www.redlineaviation.com/mooney/be-3-xl-mooney-airplanes/

Look at the male end that has a spiral thingy at the end.

***Nevermind I just watched the Sidewinder YouTube video and learned that the spiral thing is a friction locking mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, tigers2007 said:

How does the $295 Sidewinder BE-3 XL hand-pull bar lock in? Anyone own this? It looks robust and is only 4lbs.

https://www.redlineaviation.com/mooney/be-3-xl-mooney-airplanes/

Look at the male end that has a spiral thingy at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as tow bars go... it is fantastic...

How it connects inside the nose wheel tow bar hole... the little handle is connected to an expansion mechanism... finger tight, it won’t slip out...

pushing back into the hangar... same problem... it can get away from nicely controlled really easy... I mounted a tow ball on the front of my tractor... plane will want to go one way... a different way than you want...

Important point.... put some weight on the front of the tractor... about one useless Gill battery weighs about right... hmmm not so uselsess after all.... :)

the weight is important for the plane to go the way you want...

A long tow bar is a good idea for pushing... a collision with the plane is only a few feet away...

Something to think about when building your own CB solution....

PP thoughts only, not nearly as mechanically inclined as I thought I was...

Best regards,

-a-

I share a hangar with 3 other airplanes with one being a monster 340a which I move very slowly.  We use an electric golf cart with a tow bar. Most Gas carts seem to lack the “inching” precision you’ll want on final into the hangar. It’s a great setup that doubles as cool airport transportation to friends on the field. It takes some getting used to, so have an experienced person (certified ground handling instructor?) give you some dual time on ground handling, this is especially true for the Mooney with its very limited nose steering range.  

If in a snowy climate in the winter, get a set of knobbies and stud with dirt bike ice screws- drive and braking wheels are most important but you’ll also want some on the front if you want to steer on glare ice. 

Edited by 81X

On 3/21/2019 at 11:02 PM, Gatlin Gun said:

Well, there's a bunch of votes for sidewinder!  Ok...thanks guys.

Take a look at mine in my gallery. If you are handy, you might consider building your own. I can build them with about $450 in parts and materials. One downside, it is not really portable.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2019 at 8:50 AM, steingar said:

I have a Sidewinder.  (I got rid of a Powertow in favor of the Sidewinder).  

When you pull by hand, you need to build a bit of momentum to get the plane moving.  That is where you can get into trouble.  The Sidewinder has enough torque, and enough

control at slow speeds, you can easily move the plane a few inches at a time, from stop to slow movememt, and also instantly stop if as needed.  It seems much safer given the degree of control  from a dead stop to motion, with excellent control.  

John Breda

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JJV7109 said:

Anyone have experience with the Best Tug B5? I know they can't get pretty expensive if you start adding on accessories. I think a base tug is around $2500 to $3000. 

https://www.besttugs.com/pages/b5-info

We have one for our Mercy Flight Organization, using it regularly on an A-36 Bonanza and a twin engine Seneca III.   It works absolutely great.  Two speed selections with a variable speed control for each speed range. 

I would highly recommend it for those finding it in their price range.  

Tom

I started on a project to design my own scooter parts. Ended up discovering that I can get my Rocket into the hangar if I taxi up to the other side of the taxiway and get a running start with the towbar since the middle of the taxiway is a little bit lower. The inertia of the plane, even moving slowly and with 105 gallons of fuel onboard, is usually enough to roll it over the tracks. More critical than weight is to make sure the tires are properly inflated. 

Hi:

‘I have a 2008 Acclaim. I opted for the sidewinder. I ordered it online from Aircraft Spruce. It came ontime but was missing parts. I am in communication with them to get the parts send to me. I can let you know how it works in few days, once I have the complete system. 

‘Thanks 

Perry

Sidewinder is great. I’ve been using mine for my Bravo for over a year and a 1/2 on a slight incline outside my hangar.  So far, I’ve only had 1 issue with a patch of clear ice, which was easily solved by throwing down a mat for traction. 

9 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

The inertia of the plane, even moving slowly and with 105 gallons of fuel onboard, is usually enough to roll it over the tracks. More critical than weight is to make sure the tires are properly inflated. 

I used a piece of 1890s wood siding off the house (got replaced with Hardi plank) for getting over the lip.   It has a nice angle on it.