Powered Tow Bars

On 3/22/2019 at 7:50 AM, steingar said:

Something I honestly don't get. My Mooney is a tight fit in my hangar, so I've never been that interested in a power tow.  Easier to get hangar rash than if I just push in in by hand, and I can always use the exercise.

I push in my Mooney.  Now, I am easily the smallest person on this board.  I was the smallest guy at the Mooney gathering at Oshkosh (except the kids), and I can push my Mooney uphill into its hangar.  I that to be way, way easier for you big guys than me, especially because I bet you guys can see over the nose when you put your airplane away.  I can't at all.

And power tow thingies are expensive, an anathema to us CBs.

So why the profusion of power tow devices?

I have  nose picker electric that I picked up used.  It's nice when its 100+ outside and the sun is blazing.   --I honestly just don't feel like pushing the plane anywhere under those conditions, especially after a long flight. My hangar is also slightly up hill too.   Without the power tow, I would be tempted to get the plane rolling, and push it up the slight incline (which I have done on occasion).  When I'm hot, tired, and ready to be done; pushing the plane up an incline at a fast pace is a recipe for a mistake and a case of hangar rash.  --That said, I have painted stripes on the hangar floor for guides and stops that help avoid dings.   

I couldn't help but build my own version.  I couldn't believe a cordless drill would actually haul the mooney with any authority.  I have a 1/4" ft slope just out side my door and this contraption pulls it out no sweat.  I built 4 while I was at it.  Uses a modified 12v China Freight winch driving a chain with mini bike components. No, Unfortunately, it doesn't fly inverted.  

1021171511a.jpg

• Like 1

I couldn't help but build my own version.  I couldn't believe a cordless drill would actually haul the mooney with any authority.  I have a 1/4" ft slope just out side my door and this contraption pulls it out no sweat.  I built 4 while I was at it.  Uses a modified 12v China Freight winch driving a chain with mini bike components. No, Unfortunately, it doesn't fly inverted.  
1021171511a.thumb.jpg.47eb422488272014130c158f4fcee3ce.jpg

9c996f665719e60767495ef01d7a1853.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mike20papa said:

1021171511a.jpg

How are you getting tension on the nosewheel?

I've got a Sidewinder as well and I like it, so that's +23 or something like that. But to the other Sidewinder users I have a question. Any tricks on keeping the expansion mechanism that goes into the nose gear from getting stuck? I almost freaked out the first time I used it, because I had tightened the mechanism and then I couldn't get the thing out.  Finally with some careful pushing and prodding it came out, but since then I just don't use the expander.  Also, how do you keep the friction mechanism from abrading off the nose wheel rubber? 

4 hours ago, chrisk said:

I have  nose picker electric that I picked up used.  It's nice when its 100+ outside and the sun is blazing.   --I honestly just don't feel like pushing the plane anywhere under those conditions, especially after a long flight. My hangar is also slightly up hill too.   Without the power tow, I would be tempted to get the plane rolling, and push it up the slight incline (which I have done on occasion).  When I'm hot, tired, and ready to be done; pushing the plane up an incline at a fast pace is a recipe for a mistake and a case of hangar rash.  --That said, I have painted stripes on the hangar floor for guides and stops that help avoid dings.   

I think the most tired I've ever been was after flying back from Oshkosh last year at 11.5K feet the whole way.  Boy was I drained, and yes it was hot.  But still, little ol' me pushed the airplane back into the hangar.  Glutton for punishment I guess.

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Note the black pipe passed through the nose gear...

Those hangar fairies rival the ones living at Redbird near Dallas... (Don M’s)

Best regards,

-a-

It is truly amazing how close our designs are, without any collaboration.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

Any tricks on keeping the expansion mechanism that goes into the nose gear from getting stuck? 

I find a little silicone spray takes care of this. Also, it’s not necessary to tighten it very tight. 

I looked at what contortions you had to go through to connect different tugs to the nose gear.  After watching a neighbor crawl under his plane to connect a battery powered drill tug, I choose to go with the electric ez tug.  It connects and disconnects to the nose gear while I stand at the controls, no bending down and fitting a friction wheel to the nose gear.  I tried a castering or turntable electric tug of unknown brand and found it too sloppy to accurately park the plane.  The battery will move the plane for about thirty minutes of full speed driving which is about ten times what I use it for.  Can't speak of traction on ice.  So in summary, look at how each tug needs to be attached and figure on doing that in the dark and the rain.  Frankly kneeling on the ramp is not something I want to do.   

My ez -35 was pretty well done moving a Baron for years...ez sold me the parts to mod it to an ez-40 ,than engine finally failed ...jacks small engines had a 6.5 Briggs and Stratton old stock on shelf for  90 bucks.Since it was an elec start I did the mods for starter controls...best tug I’ve owned so far

• Like 2

My ez -35 was pretty well done moving a Baron for years...ez sold me the parts to mod it to an ez-40 ,than engine finally failed ...jacks small engines had a 6.5 Briggs and Stratton old stock on shelf for  90 bucks.Since it was an elec start I did the mods for starter controls...best tug I’ve owned so far

6C33B39C-0567-4F77-B3D3-5A8F048EE7DE.png

• Like 1