Powered Tow Bars

Ok...I know this is beneath most of you and this forum, so apologies in advance...  

Any recommended power tow bars?  I'm looking at the Sidewinder and the Robotow but I'm open to others...  I just don't wanna pull the trigger (pun intended) without some pre-buy feedback.

Thoughts on ease of use and power????

Thoughts...

put the word sidewinder in the search box... push enter...

The sidewinder is great, but expensive...

There is plenty of discussion that you will find, using the search...

Same for the robotow and others...

The discussions get into the detail... ice and snow, uphill both ways, 1/4 mile times... wet surfaces or drive mechanisms...

Life is better with one... especially when the tanks are full...

Not required for an M20C with empty tanks...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I got a Sidewinder and really like it. It’s small and really well-built. Battery lasts a reasonable time between charges and I can throw it in the baggage compartment if I think I’m going to need it at the destination.

Skip

I’d take one of those ones that put friction on the nose wheel verse my bulky powertow 35 any day except for when it’s very icy. With chains the powertow is unstoppable. It gets a lot of traction too when the surface is bone dry with its wide tire. Convenience? The handheld ones are so much nicer than a powertow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, BD...

Before the Doc notices.... the rubber flap/seal belongs tucked up into the cowl... (I think)

done properly, the airflow is funneled into the dog house... not tucked properly, the rubber might fold down redirecting some of the airflow...

Now I wonder what Jim tows his lawnmower with...?

PP thoughts only, not trying to be a PIA...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

Sidewinder works great.... as long as it's dry and no ice. Any snow and it's virtually useless. 

Cold.... Below -10 C, make sure you have the battery somewhere warm, as it won't operate. I now take it home with me, charge it there, and (hopefully remember) to bring it back with me, then take in the aircraft to prevent from getting cold. 

Aside from those two issues, it's awesome. I have a slight incline to the hangar, with 3 other planes in it. Really makes it easier to stop and make sure you aren't hitting something else, rather than trying to get enough momentum to push it into the hangar... or strap your 7 year old to the tail tie down with a rope and tell her to PULL!!!

7 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

If you wanted to use these to take your plane down to the fuel pump, say 500’, are the electric ones capable of that much range?

Tom

The Sidewinder will easily do 500' on a well-charged battery...speaking from experience.

I have the Robotow. Works fine (probably similar to sidewinder). In snow and ice it will not work for long. (friction wheel ices up). Battery lasts a long time. Plenty of power. I have to ease the switch on or the nose gear looks like it will fold up into the wheel well.

Brian

6 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I've had both the Robotow and the Redline Sidewinder. They both work but the Sidewinder is definitely the one to get - plenty of power, well made, portable.

(Don't ever consider a Minimax. Search "minimax" on this forum to see why.)

I bought a minimax at Oshkosh last year for my bad back it was to heavy and returned it with no issues, I sold my Key ez 40 and now have a nose dragger electric. When I can find a sidewinder I’ll try it. Most of these tows are difficult for those with damaged backs.

8 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

If you wanted to use these to take your plane down to the fuel pump, say 500’, are the electric ones capable of that much range?

Tom

For 500 feet I think I would just fire the plane up and taxi it down to the pump. Seems like a long trip to have to deal with most any type of tow. 

8 hours ago, pwnel said:

+1 on Sidewinder. Made that decision very quickly first time I had to push the 231 with full tanks into the hanger!  

Can see how it might struggle in snow/ice though.

Yea, that's why I'm asking...  There's a little slope where i hanger her, and i think i popped a blood vessel.  Hate paying the money for a powered tow bar, but hate paying medical bills more! :P

Edited by Gatlin Gun