Considering a Mooney M20C Need advice

I currently have 400 hours. I am a rookie pilot. My wife and I own a 1963 Cessna 172. We have flown it from coast to coast and into Mexico a few times. But we are tired of doing it at 105 Knots Lol. I am using my plane now to do my instrument training as I have a decent panel and GPS. I am almost done and ready to test. I am seriously considering selling my 172 soon after I get my instrument rating. I am 5’07 and my wife is 5’02. We don’t have kids and 90% of the time it’s just us. I have never even sat in a Mooney. I have only flew Cessna (170, 172, and 182). I am considering to look for a M20C. I would love to hear advice. How hard will the transition be for me coming from a 172 to a Mooney? What do I look for when buying one to ensure I am not getting one that needs expensive maintenance? I don’t know anything about a Mooney other than every owner you meet loves their Mooney. They are fast and sip on gas. We live in Montana. The Aiport it would be based at is 3500 MSL. Would that be an issue? 

Having obtained my instrument rating in a 172, I can tell you that transitioning to the Mooney should not be a problem as long as you obtain some instrument instruction in it, even after you earn your IFR in the Cessna.  The control movements are smaller than the 172, and of course you are going faster.  You also have a retractable landing gear and controllable prop to manage.  Budget about 10 hours of general instruction and at least a couple hours of instrument training in the Mooney.  Welcome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d hardly consider a 400 hour pilot, completing IFR training to be a “rookie”. I bought my M20F just as I completed my PPL, which was done in a C172. 

Transition isn’t difficult at all. Just need to keep an eye on speeds, and keep them in check and you’re fine. 

I fly out of a 2800’ strip with no issues. I’ll be down a KBZN in July if you’re in the area. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome aboard, Chacorta!

If you like the Cs... You are going to love the M20C.  :)

Look for things like Transition Training with a Mooney Specific CFII...

It can be a cover everything in a couple of days... a day around the pattern, a day doing cross country type work,  add in some E procedures, and then all the instrument related things...

If you are buying a plane in TX and delivering it home... the delivery flight can be used as part of the IFR X-country Training...

After a few days, you will have touched on all things Mooney... it isn’t difficult, no secret handshakes... just different enough you would rather be introduced, than to find it all on your own... 

The biggest surprise I got going from going C to shining M20C.... during the taxi... I found that there is no both position on the fuel tank selector valve... that middle zone is essentially off....   :) things got quieter than normal about 100 yds later...

The second biggest surprise of the day... acceleration similar to a sports car... and a climb rate twice Brand C...

The Other notes made...

• Pilot height... everyone fits... even the Yetti. Some people alter seat cushions for preference... there are also height adjustable seats in some Mooneys...
  • Pilot weight... you left that out, so there isn’t going to be a problem here either...
  • Runway length, that could be a challenge... what are you going to do with all the excess?
  • Ensuring the quality of the bird you select... look up PPI by an independent mechanic...

A Pre-purchase inspection, by somebody that has not been maintaining the bird already... done by somebody that is knowledgeable of Mooneys and specific things to look for...  same thing if you are buying Brand B or P.

I learned a lot about transitioning and ownership of an M20C by talking with a guy named David... at All American Aircraft... in the late 90s... a decade later I was flying with David in an M20R...

You have come to the right place...

Welcome to the Mooney class of 2019!

Enjoy the hunt...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

We love our M20-C, and had no problem flying into and out of KCOD with a week's luggage for us plus three bags from friends traveling with us in a 172.

Oh, I got my PPL in 172s, and bought my Mooney five weeks later. The transition isn't difficult (or many of us wouldn't be flying Mooneys now), it's just a little different. Two big things: 1) everythung happens quicker at 140-145 knots than at 105; 2) when it comes time to land, speed is important! Mooneys are fast because they are slick; point the nose down and the speed will increase fast.

Welcome, and happy hunting!

1 hour ago, Chacorta said:

I currently have 400 hours. I am a rookie pilot. 

I transitioned to the C 4 years ago with <100 hrs- of course I was already God’s gift to aviation at that point, so your excess humility may impede your progress  in comparison ;)

Lots of good advice to help you avoid a bad purchase - read the old threads

The C will put a huge smile on your face - and a nice one might cost you less than a nice 172

Also consider doing your IR in the C - one less thing to relearn in a new plane

One thing regarding anatomy.  You and your wife are not likely long legged people.  I am 5'10 with a 30" inseam and I fly with the seat in the full forward or in the second seat detent most of the time unless I really feel like stretching out.  Depending on how you're proportioned, you may be more comfortable with peddle extensions.

I live in Utah at 4500 feet, and fly extensively in the west.  I would recommend looking at an E/F rather than the C.   The C can be flown well here, but the fuel injection and 20 extra hp are nice to have on very hot summer days.  It helps with take-off and clearing high mountain ranges. The ease of leaning at higher altitudes is also a benefit of fuel injection.  I owned a C for several years, but when it came time to replace it, I knew I wanted at least an E.  We decided with younger children at the time the F was the best fit.  Now that the kids are grown, I would think an E would fit our mission profile well.

Everyone has covered it well, don't sell yourself short 400 + hours is the perfect time to move on up.  Your insurance will want 10 hours with an instructor, but that is the norm, and will fly by (yes pun intended) I am 6'4" and still fit into my "C".  I love my "C" and wouldn't trade it for any other plane (maybe a J).  My only advise, if you can spend a bit more on the purchase price, you will be better off than buy a 35k plane thinking you can upgrade it less expensively than buying one that is done.  Love the manual gear. Love the manual flaps.  They don't fail,as long as you don't forget.

You should Go-Pro your first time at the controls with your CFI. Everything moves so fast and I was a mile behind the aircraft. Then you get used to it and one day fly with someone that has a turbine single. Then you go back to your plane and are reminded how slow the Mooney is (versus the turbine). Going from the Mooney to a 172 is like going from a Honda Shadow to a Honda Spree. I’m still mesmerized watching the cockpit window GoPro’s of the light jets landing at short fields. Everything goes so fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ChacortaWelcome.  I'm a new member of the Mooney Class of 2019 thanks to the Mooneyspace community.  I've only flown a C and enjoy it immensely thanks to the manual flaps and J-bar gear. I have far less hours than you and can say it was an easy transition.  Take the first ride and join in--you won't regret it!

Edited by Brian E.

We old Mooney guys remember our C and E models fondly.  I flew mine all over the USA and have many great memories.   

I had 300 TT, all in Cessnas, when I bought my E.  For the first few hours I needed about 800’ to take off but 6000’ to land:  Good thing my home base runway was 7000’ long.  Eventually I learned speed control.  

My Mooney transition CFII had 7,000 hours of Mooney time and his tutorials were invaluable. 

I have flown the C and E into South Lake Tahoe and Truckee with density altitudes above 8,000 feet.   The planes don’t exhibit much desire to leap off the runway up there but can be safely flown fairly high.  

Buy a good one and have fun.  

• Like 2

I went from a Cessna 170 to a Mooney M20B at 275 hours.  It was an easy transition for me.  The Mooney is faster but I think it slows down easily.  It is much more comfortable in turbulence - it wiggles instead of jars.  The deck angle on climb was the hardest thing for me to get use to.  I had to get use to climbing out of the airport and not being able to see what was ahead of me.  I don't notice it anymore.  I do from time to time forget to put the gear up though :-)

• Like 1

I am a 240h PPL with IR now finishing my commercial training and also looking for a nice M20C in SoCal area as my very first airplane (for me and my family of a wife and 2 kids). I had a chance to fly a J model from CA to TX recently and that is when I fall in love with these birds. I am sure C is a little different but still faster than a C172 or a cherokee. Should climb better too!