Fuel Selector Cover

Bought my 74 F last summer, and it's now in annual. Previous owner had floor carpet installed, and the guy did a pi$$ poor job around the selector area. He was supposed to fix it, prior to me picking up the plane, and in haste, just tacked on a little piece of carpet to fill the hole. Drove me nuts. 

So, I'm getting a buddy to make me an aluminum cover, that'll fit over the hole. 

I'll PIREP the install and take a photo once complete. Fuel Plate 1.pdf

fuel selector.JPG

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dale Logsdon said:

$21.51 for a new cover @ Plane Plastics.

P/N: K610035-501

planeplastics.com/shop/airplane/k610035-501/

Yep... and how is that going to cover the hole in my carpet? 

1 minute ago, PilotCoyote said:

I’m about to put my new carpet in...wondering whether to trim the carpet to fit around the fuel selector cover, or to screw the cover down over it...what do you think?

Just have to remember to remove the cover, before removing the carpet. The new plate will be put over the carpet, and hold it in place.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, David_H said:

Are you certain that the hole for the fuel drain should be that large?

The fuel drain pull-ring would take up that much space.... but the fuel drain pin isn't very large in diameter.

It's inset into a hole, much like the selector. So, in order for it to seat properly, the pull ring needs to be able to rotate, and lie horizontal (flat). The actual pin will be on the right hand side of the hole to allow for that. 
It's actually a 35mm dia hole. The ring is at 29mm currently. 

Edited by GLJA
added dimensions

Yeah, I seen that. It wasn't obvious if there was anything for the ring to rest on while laying flat. 

It looks as if it might be difficult to get the ring out of the large hole if it doesn't have a surface to lie flat on.

Just something to think about.... It should look really good once completed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Initial fit of the plate. 

Plan is to add a cylinder that will extend to the base of the fuel selector. This will allow for the plate to be centred, as well as have a 2mm radius for my fuel selector to insert, and seat properly. 

Stay tuned. 

AD36F22A-C6C0-4BEB-B799-6771EA816DDF.jpeg

CBB0882B-0524-4255-BCDD-68F1990B1DB1.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Here is the fuel placard, it is install below the handle.

Clarence

2A3FFE3E-B5ED-475E-A5C7-54557726142B.jpeg

Always room for improvement. This was first run. Already a couple of ideas I have for round 2. Still well below the price of a plastic cover from PP, will last longer, and looks nicer IMHO. 

• 1 month later...