Three G5's??

Any reason you couldn't install 3 G5s? 

One of these days I'm going to redo the right side of my panel. Pulling all the factory engine instruments and going with a full digital monitor.  At the same time, pull the ancient Narco radio and install something like an SL30 or GNC255.  That requires a new indicator.  Instead of an analog indicator, is there any limiting factor that would preclude using another G5 for the indicator??

10 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Any reason you couldn't install 3 G5s? 

One of these days I'm going to redo the right side of my panel. Pulling all the factory engine instruments and going with a full digital monitor.  At the same time, pull the ancient Narco radio and install something like an SL30 or GNC255.  That requires a new indicator.  Instead of an analog indicator, is there any limiting factor that would preclude using another G5 for the indicator??

They’re like potato chips - you can’t have just one.

• Like 1

I think the only limitation is the G5 can't be used for both the primary AI and the backup (TC replacement).  So you are thinking one G5 as the AI, one G5 as the #1 Nav HSI, and another G5 as the #2 nav HSI correct?

Sounds pretty sweet to me.

Sounds like a good idea. 

A G5 is “only” about twice as expensive as a new GI-106 Omni indicator and many times more useful.  

I was going to replace the copilot side six pack with a single G5 that is 30 pounds (!) lighter & more reliable than those six round instruments (including their associated remote boxes).  

In the event I’m doing the upgrade using an L3 ESI500 as the G5 isn’t approved for my airframe. 

8 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

There is some talk of adding 2 sources capability to G5, they already have it on the experimental side. 

Yes, it seems to be just STC approval and paperwork.

Just found the install manual:

J51 Pin Descriptions

Pin

Pin Name

I/O

CAN-H

I/O

CAN-L

I/O

UNIT ID

In

RS-232 RX 1

In

RS-232 TX 1

Out

SIGNAL GROUND

--

AIRCRAFT POWER 1

In

AIRCRAFT POWER 2

In

POWER GROUND

--

A.1.5 Unit ID

The G5 detects its assigned unit type at startup by checking the UNIT ID pin. This pin can be strapped into the following configurations. A maximum of two G5 units may be used in a single installation.

Unit ID Configurations

Unit ID

Comment

G5 #1

Pin 3 No Connection

G5 #2

Ground pin 3

Of course, that is if they are connected together.  You could have two independent systems.  One system with 2 G5's connected with a GPS navigator, and a second system that uses the G5 built in GPS receiver connected to the SL30/GNC255.

That would actually give you better redundancy since loss of the GPS navigator would not impact the 3rd G5.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

Of course, that is if they are connected together.  You could have two independent systems.  One system with 2 G5's connected with a GPS navigator, and a second system that uses the G5 built in GPS receiver connected to the SL30/GNC255.

That would actually give you better redundancy since loss of the GPS navigator would not impact the 3rd G5.

I think that would require another external waas antenna although if it was considered a second hsi install you might not need to. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

True.  If they were two different systems you would also likely want a second GMU-11 and you wouldn't get any failover though that may not be important at the point of having three.

I recently bought an SL30 and have ordered a G5/GMU11 to use as my #2 nav indicator and as a backup ATT indicator. No GPS input.  I'll keep my 256/525/KFC150 for now, until ready to upgrade to a 500Txi.

I have not fully researched it yet, easier to do with the install manual in front of me and the equipment wired up on the bench.

1) I don't recall seeing settings fro 3 G5's in the setup, but maybe when you plug the third one in?

2) I was planning on relying on the internal GPS, they work pretty well under the glare shield, even a metal one.  If I'm using the serial in/out for the SL30, no ability to have a serial GPS in.  I just hope it keeps working as an HSI if it loses GPS signal.

A good used MD200 is $1600  a G5/GMU11 is 2550.  So for an extra grand, you get something new, a second HSI, a backup AH and an upgrade path.

Aerodon

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Sounds like a good idea. 

A G5 is “only” about twice as expensive as a new GI-106 Omni indicator and many times more useful.  

I was going to replace the copilot side six pack with a single G5 that is 30 pounds (!) lighter & more reliable than those six round instruments (including their associated remote boxes).  

In the event I’m doing the upgrade using an L3 ESI500 as the G5 isn’t approved for my airframe. 

In theory (seen discussion on beechtalk) you could buy the non certified HSI.  It's the same part number.  And I already have the STC.  It's not by serial number.  All you're paying for extra is the STC and I already have it.  

Even if that's not true, and you pay regular price, a 2nd digital HSI that can revert to a 3rd AI seems like a bargain.

• Like 5

Curious if two G5’s are connected and both set on AI mode if they can simultaneously show the localizer and GS?

Shouldn’t be a problem. That’s what my backup does but rather than G5s, it’s a G500 with the L3 LSI-500 backup which like 2 plus G5’s or a mini aspen. Anyway both primary and backup can display the same or different Nav guidance how ever selected individually.
Even though the G5 only supports a single Nav source, that’s not a big issue either. My LSI also has that limitation so I have a separate panel switch to enable selecting Nav from either my GTN750 or GTN650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I recently bought an SL30 and have ordered a G5/GMU11 to use as my #2 nav indicator and as a backup ATT indicator. No GPS input.  I'll keep my 256/525/KFC150 for now, until ready to upgrade to a 500Txi.
I have not fully researched it yet, easier to do with the install manual in front of me and the equipment wired up on the bench.
1) I don't recall seeing settings fro 3 G5's in the setup, but maybe when you plug the third one in?
2) I was planning on relying on the internal GPS, they work pretty well under the glare shield, even a metal one.  If I'm using the serial in/out for the SL30, no ability to have a serial GPS in.  I just hope it keeps working as an HSI if it loses GPS signal.
A good used MD200 is $1600  a G5/GMU11 is 2550.  So for an extra grand, you get something new, a second HSI, a backup AH and an upgrade path.
Aerodon

Is the GMU required, if using G5 solely as an indicator, not connected to an AP?

Tom

3 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Is the GMU required, if using G5 solely as an indicator, not connected to an AP?

Tom

Without the GMU the HSI will only display track, not heading.  May not be too big of deal though since you wouldn't be using it to fly assigned headings, only to fly an approach.

The Sandel needed a magnetometer and gyro to display heading.  If that failed, the SN3308 would use 'track' for its heading.  Identical except for crosswind.

But I am looking at it as a building block to an eventual GFC500 installation.

Don

If my thinking is correct, a track only solution would actually make the HSI behave like it does in the 757/767.  On those planes, track was always at the top of the compass rose.  A heading marker would be off to the side showing your actual heading.

By doing it that way, if you drive over until the course is centered, then turn to put the course arrow at the top of the case, you'll be tracking along the course with the wind drift killed.  Actually pretty slick for tracking a course.

If my thinking is correct, a track only solution would actually make the HSI behave like it does in the 757/767.  On those planes, track was always at the top of the compass rose.  A heading marker would be off to the side showing your actual heading.
By doing it that way, if you drive over until the course is centered, then turn to put the course arrow at the top of the case, you'll be tracking along the course with the wind drift killed.  Actually pretty slick for tracking a course.

But you already have a magenta ground track triangle directly below the heading digits in HSI mode. So with the magnetometer you’ll have both magnetic heading and ground track displayed to help you make your TRK match your DTK. You’ll probably still want both.

7 hours ago, kortopates said:

But you already have a magenta ground track triangle directly below the heading digits in HSI mode. So with the magnetometer you’ll have both magnetic heading and ground track displayed to help you make your TRK match your DTK. You’ll probably still want both.

On the Boeing product there was a marker on the inside of the compass rose for the heading.  The heading bug was on the outside of the compass rose.  Turn until they line up and you are on the assigned heading.  So you can have both either way.  It's just a matter of which you like more.

With track up, on downwind you can set the course to runway heading.  If you turn until it is straight up/down you'll be on a wind drift corrected heading to maintain your spacing.

I grew to like the Boeing display.  It would be nice if it was user selectable.

• Like 1

I asked this over on beechtalk as well. Garmin responded and said that the GMU11 is required per the STC.  They suggest colocating them, 6" apart.  Someone else reinforced that you likely can buy the "non" certified, because the STC is already installed.  Garmin will likely never say that, but it makes sense to me. I'll have to see what my IA thinks