Red Mixture Control Knob

Thanks I will send him a message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralph - it can be a user produced part. My mixture knob on my 75F detonated a couple of years back. A machine shop made one up for me in aluminum. If you can find a local machine shop, heck, even a trade school that does CNC machine training might be able to produce one.

The knob you are looking for is unique to the 1974 F through the 1977 J models with the quadrant.

0ea0179aa799feb14d9bc68cbb911aca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Ralph - it can be a user produced part.

The knob you are looking for is unique to the 1974 F through the 1977 J models with the quadrant.

0ea0179aa799feb14d9bc68cbb911aca.jpg

Is it really different from what's in my 1970 C? Looks awfully similar to me . . .  

20150211_182518.thumb.jpg.2aad03a1cf75dcf9e2d45b865ca232d8.jpg

@Ralph Hall, do you know anyone with a 3D printer? @Sabremech has done amazing machining / manufacturing of other small parts under the Owner Produced rules. 

Edited by Hank

29 minutes ago, Hank said:

@Ralph Hall, do you know anyone with a 3D printer? @Sabremech has done amazing machining / manufacturing of other small parts under the Owner Produced rules. 

I was going to suggest 3D printing one.   If any of your local high schools with a robotics or similar programs has a 3D printer (which they often do), they'll probably be happy to make you one for a little sponsorship money or mentoring time.

I judge at FIRST robotics events and the teams print structural parts and all kinds of stuff for their bots.  Most of them are quite good at it, and a knob would be a pretty simple project, I'd think, if they had one to make a pattern from.   Last week I was at an event in Flagstaff and one of the teams had printed a model of the tournament field and put it on a white board to sort out strategy with alliance teams.

20190315_160042.jpg

20190315_170845.jpg

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1

Since you have one side of the knob, you could mould make a mould of that side using modelling clay and then make the new piece with 2 part epoxy. Then just drill a hole for the boss/locator to fit into on the new piece.

I'm a spraypainter and own a bodyshop. I painted my prop control knob in blue (was originally black) and the mixture control in red direct gloss 2 pack. A local bodyshop will be able to do the same for you.

• Like 1

Sime,

time to update your avatar pic... 

Wondering...What does a spray painter’s plane look like??? :)

The Mathematician, Dentist, and 747 driver amongst us have some pretty nice paint schemes...

Checkered flags all over their tails... and fancy paint and super high quality finish...

Somebody that knows paint systems has got to have something interesting... no?

Best regards,

-a-

On 3/20/2019 at 1:54 PM, carusoam said:

Sime,

time to update your avatar pic... 

Wondering...What does a spray painter’s plane look like??? :)

The Mathematician, Dentist, and 747 driver amongst us have some pretty nice paint schemes...

Checkered flags all over their tails... and fancy paint and super high quality finish...

Somebody that knows paint systems has got to have something interesting... no?

Best regards,

-a-

The paint on my 76F is a nice scheme, but I must confess I had no hand in it! This is how I purchased her. Unfortunately, at my home airport, hangar space is extremely scarce, so she reluctantly lives outside (with a canopy cover).

8042832633_8b1061fe2d_b.jpg

This photo was taken in January this year:

11841-CGJ-9e1ffc496f.jpg

• Like 3

If / When my time comes it will probably be solved with a trip to the lathe and the milling machine....  If I could get a cutter small enough, I would go with one piece just cut a slot, drill a hole, run a tap.   Paint and be done.    Unless I wanted to play with Anodizing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 7:30 PM, Ralph Hall said:

Robert Hicks thank you. I just bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please let me know how it worked.  Mine started falling apart yesterday. Super glued it back together, but likey won't last long.