Annual time!

For the last couple of years, my Mx found some metal in the filter, so we were following the situation with oil changes every 25hrs, as per Lycoming's recommandations.

This year, we found bigger chunks :

CGJDP.MTL2_zpszil2gjyp.jpg

So the inspection got a little deeper and as suspected, camshaft to #1:

CGJDP.CAM2_zpssr1ubhvw.jpg

1450hrs on a  factory new IO360A1A from 1975, no other symptoms whatsoever but I was expecting it. One of my friend, who owns a flight school, says I should only change the camshaft and followers and continue flying my 50hrs/yr til it dies. My Mx suggest I should go for a complete overhaul, thus keeping the value of the bird. I must say that I tend to agree with my Mx and have started looking at the options. Open to comments and suggestions!

I dealt with this. Ended up overhauling at Jewell in Kennett, MO in March 2018. 13.5K USD all in including removal and reinstallation of engine (o-360, your io would be a bit more), I flew it over to them. 200 hours later, filter has been clear so far (knock on wood).

I considered doing just the cam+lifters, cost would have been about 8K. I decided to go with a full overhaul.

Edited by AlexLev
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, drapo said:

For the last couple of years, my Mx found some metal in the filter, so we were following the situation with oil changes every 25hrs, as per Lycoming's recommandations.

This year, we found bigger chunks :

CGJDP.MTL2_zpszil2gjyp.jpg

So the inspection got a little deeper and as suspected, camshaft to #1:

CGJDP.CAM2_zpssr1ubhvw.jpg

1450hrs on a  factory new IO360A1A from 1975, no other symptoms whatsoever but I was expecting it. One of my friend, who owns a flight school, says I should only change the camshaft and followers and continue flying my 50hrs/yr til it dies. My Mx suggest I should go for a complete overhaul, thus keeping the value of the bird. I must say that I tend to agree with my Mx and have started looking at the options. Open to comments and suggestions!

When it's been almost 45 years, I suspect anything that makes you split the case should probably be an overhaul irrespective of aircraft value considerations.  I wouldn't skimp on accessories, engine mounts, and control cable replacement if everything is of the same age. 

1 hour ago, AlexLev said:

I dealt with this. Ended up overhauling at Jewell in Kennett, MO in March 2018. 13.5K USD all in including removal and reinstallation of engine (o-360, your io would be a bit more), I flew it over to them. 200 hours later, filter has been clear so far (knock on wood).

I considered doing just the cam+lifters, cost would have been about 8K. I decided to go with a full overhaul.

I'm leaning towards the full overhaul also. That price for a full OH is low, well relatively low since I could get a few small block Chevys for that price :wacko:

12 minutes ago, 67 m20F chump said:

Wow that’s a inexpensive overhaul.  I had the same problem on my last plane and did the overhaul.  The while your there stuff starts to add up.  Your going to do motor mounts, exhaust, hoses...while your there right?

Yes, went through the «While we're there...» dance during the house renovations 10 years ago :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Cam and lifters are in already the mix.

This is what I would do JMHO

1. crank have it checked for cracks and have it polished, possibly balanced depending on cost
  2. main bearings - any sign of wear replace them.  Other than from cold starts there should be little wear on them.
  3. rod bearings same thing but they can be replaced without splitting the engine.
  4. Have the case inspected for cracks, and bore alignment checked.
  5. accessory case new oil pump gears all others checked for wear
  6. cylinders - hone and inspect valve guides, valves and seats for cracks or burning.  (maybe send out for IRAN?)
  7. rings and pistons clean and check for wear. (if you really want to spend money have these balanced with the crank)
  8. mechanical fuel pump change with new due to location and difficulty in changing
  9. remaining accessories I would put back on and only IRAN those that are necessary such as mags.
  10. put it all back together
  11. control cables are much easier to do now with the engine is off than later.

Since you are in Canada how close are you to your mandatory prop overhaul?

Unfortunately it adds up quickly.

1964-M20E, thanks for the tips, cables will be replaced  and I used your list to ask a few questions to the potential candidates. ArtVandelay(when I write this, I still see George Costanza running out of the bathroom and yelling:lol:), for sure I'm looking at these too! The prop was due this fall, so it will get overhauled, engine mount and shocks are being taken care of, but alternator and starter are fairly new ( +/-150hrs).

After a few phone calls, I had to discard Penn Yan, customs fees, paperwork and delays were too much. Two didn't reply yet!  I contacted a local engine rebuilder who had cylinder assemblies in stock and was willing to look at a few options with me to save some $$$. So I went with these guys, AeroAtelier from Lac-à-la-tortue, Québec, well known shop north of the border.