acclaim s conversion

pkofman

I noticed there was an acclaim s with the following conversion for sale recently 

"Continental TSIO-550-G
310 HP (310 HP STC Conversion)"

Does anyone have any experience with this and would it be a tough sell with a non stock modification if I wanted to sell later

If you do know about it ,what are the performance /cost / benefits  vs negatives.

Thoughts ?? 

Peter

If you start with an acclaim type S,  the conversion is a modification to the governor and a remarked tach.   Earlier acclaims get the new prop as well.  All it is doing to an Acclaim  type S is spinning the propeller at 2700 RPM. This engine runs at 2700 RPM quite happily in Columbia and cirrus aircraft. As for resale, I would expect it to contribute in a small way, and if for some reason you wanted to return to stock, that would be easy.

There are no obvious negatives to doing this conversion. 

Runway performance and climb rate are definitely better, although it is not a life-changing difference. For me it is useful because I am based on a fairly short strip. 

-de

• Like 2

See if @Joe Zuffoletto is still monitoring MS...

Joe had a wonderful Acclaim with the 310hp IO550(g)...

Climbing to the FLs... The 310hp makes a lot of sense... setting FF at the high range is important for cooling...

I would jump at the chance to go turbo IO550(n), but it was not allowed for the O....

the (n) has a different cooling fin design on the cylinders...

Peter,

Look up what the Acclaim S is listing for parts...  it will probably show the (g) engine and the ‘Acclaim thin blade aluminum TopProp, running 2700 rpm)

So there isn’t anything non-standard about it... Mooney owns the STC, so a call to the factory might get you all the answers you are looking for.... except how to say know to a brand new Acclaim!   :)

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks Clarence... I was afraid somebody with more knowledge might point out something I was missing... :)

I have them already... no issues yet...

I should run them harder... to wear them out before they can crack...   I don’t see this working in my favor.

Best regards,

-a-

13 minutes ago, carusoam said:

See if @Joe Zuffoletto is still monitoring MS...

Joe had a wonderful Acclaim with the 310hp IO550(g)...

Climbing to the FLs... The 310hp makes a lot of sense... setting FF at the high range is important for cooling...

I would jump at the chance to go turbo IO550(n), but it was not allowed for the O....

the (n) has a different cooling fin design on the cylinders...

Peter,

Look up what the Acclaim S is listing for parts...  it will probably show the (g) engine and the ‘Acclaim thin blade aluminum TopProp, running 2700 rpm)

So there isn’t anything non-standard about it... Mooney owns the STC, so a call to the factory might get you all the answers you are looking for.... except how to say know to a brand new Acclaim!   :)

Best regards,

-a-

No.... is easy $$$$$!

Just now, carusoam said:

Thanks Clarence... I was afraid somebody with more knowledge might point out something I was missing... :)

I have them already... no issues yet...

Best regards,

-a-

The N cylinders on the Cirrus engine crack heads between the upper spark plug hole and the fuel injector hole at an amazing rate. I pack them in a 50 gallon drum, then take them for recycling.

Clarence 

4 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The N cylinders on the Cirrus engine crack heads between the upper spark plug hole and the fuel injector hole at an amazing rate. I pack them in a 50 gallon drum, then take them for recycling.

Clarence 

Overtorque of injector nozzels or plugs? Bad metallurgy? oh wait,,,,they are continentais....

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Overtorque of injector nozzels or plugs? Bad metallurgy? oh wait,,,,they are continentais....

Hi Mike,

The injectors are a straight thread, so over torquing should not add additional stress to the head.  Poor metallurgy and poor design are more likely.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

Hello Peter

I bought the 310 STC roughly 18 months ago for my non type S Acclaim.  The total cost was $8700 including a prop governor overhaul.  

My feelings are mixed about the conversion.  The Acclaim is a completely remarkable aircraft with 280 horsepower.  Like others have mentioned, the fuel flow is crucial.  I have seen 38+gph before.  I’ve never had problems with temperature.  I only run LOP at lower power settings like 2300 28.5”.  I see 280-310 on my CHTs.

I enjoy having the extra power punching through nasty weather quickly.  

Yes the takeoff is shorter, rate of climb better, but it was never disappointing with 280 hp.  

Best of luck on your decision.  

• Like 1

I flew my Acclaim Type S stock for 4 years before installing the 310 upgrade. I went for the upgrade because I lived in CO at the time and did a lot of mountain flying.

The improvements in takeoff and climb performance were noticeable and impressive. I was very glad I did it. Cruise settings and performance remained the same.

The mod didn't hurt me when I sold the plane as I received a full price offer for it.

Good luck! I loved my Acclaim!

• Like 2

On 3/17/2019 at 9:49 PM, carusoam said:

Max FF for the N.A. 310 is 27.2 by the STC... 30gph depending on who you talk to... 36 seems a bit high...?

But, the twin turbo engine runs a different CR than the NA one does...

Best regards,

-a 

Low compression cylinders on the TSIO are less efficient.  7.5:1 vs 8.5

Bob minnis owns the Acclaim 310 STC,  not Mooney. 

I too have mine set up for 38 GPH and no problems with temp.  Typically 29” x 2500 RPM. The cylinders stay much closer in temp at 2500 than at lower RPM,  so that’s where I run it.

With TKS, I plan approx 5% below book speed, but I’m usually 70-100 degrees LOP to keep the TIT below 1650. Some like cooler TIT, and in my plane that would require less fuel and a lower RPM. 

Edited by exM20K

Following Doc’s math...

9% of 310... 27.9 gph...

11% of 310... 34.1 gph...

For insight on the 310hp STC... a call to Bob Minnis is one of the phone calls you will remember.  Take good notes the facts come at you hard and fast... :)  have more than one piece of paper ready to go...

It is truly amazing the amount of power that can be developed by the IO550, in experimental applications...

The engine is strong like bull... keeping cylinders cool is good operations procedure... 

Look up the track record for Bob Minnis.  He has quite the resume for this engine.

Also, look up Rocket Engineering... and Midwest Mooney....

That is a bit of a history lesson...

Costs can be looked up... performance is found in shorter T/O run, and stronger climb rate...

Fuel consumption keeps the cruise speed mostly unchanged... economically speaking...

PP thoughts only...

-a-

• Like 1