SMO based Arrow owner seeks familarization flight in M20K

bcbender10

Hi Mooney K and Rocket owners,

I'm seriously considering purchasing an M20K Rocket to upgrade from my current, well-equipped 1976 Arrow II. I'm new to the Mooney community, but have loved the look, speed, and efficiency of Mooney's since the 80s. I'm a PPL pilot with an instrument rating, about 530hrs TT and 330 hrs in an Arrow.  If you're in the SoCal area and would like to share your experiences as an owner (I'm all ears) and a familiarization flight, please reply in the comments. 

Thanks!

-Brian

Sounds like you have a great background for the transition and I bet you will love a k whichever you go for!  I don’t have any experience to share regarding SoCal though.... other than opinions from my era as an alumnae from a little NorCal school - UC Berkeley.

Edited by aviatoreb

Welcome aboard, Brian.

MSers love their Ks...

They love them even more with pressure controllers, intercoolers, and composite props...

The most loved, get special names like 252, Encore, and Rocket...

The latest versions are the most refined...

TKS is icing on the cake... or anti  icing on the cake... :)

Enjoy the hunt!

Best regards,

-a-

• 5 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 8:11 PM, bcbender10 said:

To close the loop on this thread... I'm the proud new owner of a 1998 Encore! Hoping to get checked out this weekend. Can't wait to get in the air... Thanks for your suggestions!

Without pictures, it didn't happen B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcbender10 said:

Paul Kortopates. Fortunately, I live somewhat near him here in SoCal. Can't wait to fly later this week.

Excellent choice.  Paul got me instrument current after more than a decade of not flying -- he has the patience of a saint.  You'll enjoy your transition training, I promise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:11 PM, bcbender10 said:

To close the loop on this thread... I'm the proud new owner of a 1998 Encore! Hoping to get checked out this weekend. Can't wait to get in the air... Thanks for your suggestions!

Woo-hooo!! Encore is a hell of a machine!

Enjoy flying, and absorb as much as you can from Paul. I highly recommend joining MAPA [www.mooneypilots.com] and attending a PPP soon [Pilot Proficiency Program]. I figured my transition trainer taught me how to fly my Mooney, the PPP a couple of months later taught me how to fly it right.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 10:11 PM, bcbender10 said:

Sweet!  No personal experience in an Encore, but I've heard it's a great model.  You'll never look back at the arrow.

• 1 month later...