Ferry permit question

• 2 years later...

New procedure to obtain a ferry permit. It’s AWC and it’s an FAA online application. As for the mention of prop strikes I struck out with all the lawyered up Lycoming SBs . I thought that was what the permit was suppose to help us with. Now looking at adding lots of time to the repairs. Any other guys got any experience.  AWC has to be done on google chrome. iPad will not work.

1 hour ago, hoot777 said:

New procedure to obtain a ferry permit. It’s AWC and it’s an FAA online application. As for the mention of prop strikes I struck out with all the lawyered up Lycoming SBs . I thought that was what the permit was suppose to help us with. Now looking at adding lots of time to the repairs. Any other guys got any experience.  AWC has to be done on google chrome. iPad will not work.

Hoot,

Got any more details to share?

Prop strikes come with a chance of hidden cracks in the crank shaft… crack propagation can lead to prop separation in flight…. Hence the challenge of nobody wanting to approve what can’t be easily inspected…. 

For prop related questions… we have a guy for that.

@Cody Stallings  aka prop guy.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Hoot,

Got any more details to share?

Prop strikes come with a chance of hidden cracks in the crank shaft… crack propagation can lead to prop separation in flight…. Hence the challenge of nobody wanting to approve what can’t be easily inspected…. 

For prop related questions… we have a guy for that.

@Cody Stallings  aka prop guy.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony , Cranks that are not bent , do not break from ground strikes...They do NOT break unless there is a metalurgical defect..... That being said , I thought you need an &P to sign off on a Ferry permit ... and ALL ads must be complied with 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The prop strike AD is the sticking point. I have heard- I want name  names - not out to not put anyone under the bus - that the ferry permit varies by region and some well known shops do ferries regularly. In my research there have been a few failures after 150 to 200 hours of operation when the inspection was not complied with. Any info from the group would be interesting. My research was all internet based so not sure of the accuracy. It would be nice to have some specific guidance to ferry after the strike if it can be done safely. Without it your stuck complying in your hanger - mines miles away from my mechanic.

7 minutes ago, hoot777 said:

The prop strike AD is the sticking point. I have heard- I want name  names - not out to not put anyone under the bus - that the ferry permit varies by region and some well known shops do ferries regularly. In my research there have been a few failures after 150 to 200 hours of operation when the inspection was not complied with. Any info from the group would be interesting. My research was all internet based so not sure of the accuracy. It would be nice to have some specific guidance to ferry after the strike if it can be done safely. Without it your stuck complying in your hanger - mines miles away from my mechanic.

That's where insurance comes in. Let them figure it out. I'm sure they've handled many of these. 

If you have questions about the ferry permit call the FSDO and talk about it. You will need a mechanic to certify that the airplane is airworthy for flight. Moving an airplane for maintenance is a legitimate reason for a ferry permit.

If you just drop a ferry permit on them without any notice, they are not going to make it a priority especially if it is full of errors. If you talk to them first, they will tell you what to put in the permit and will be expecting it.

• Like 1

Hoot,

You are getting plenty of advice…

From reliable resources here…

Notice the most detail comes from mechanics with this experience…

Do you have a mechanic to help you out with this challenge?

Need help finding one where the plane is?

Best regards,

-a-

I believe the AD isn’t for the crankshaft itself but rather requires replacement of the crankshaft gear and attaching hardware after a prop strike. You have to look at the wording in the AD. Sometimes ADs include a provision for issuing a Special Flight Permit, but if not, I don’t believe the FSDO can issue one.