Shock wave

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

These are beautiful photos, the one taken side on is fascinating as well.  

This has ALWAYS intrigued me.....When a plane travels supersonic is the boom continuous or only at the moment it goes supersonic.  Ie if all the planes in the world today were travelling at supersonic speed, would there be a continuous boom every time one went over my house for example, regardless of whether it was passing the sound barrier or had already past it and was going supersonic.

2nd question, when is Mooney bringing out a supersonic M20J :)  

Answer to Question number 1: The shock wave travels too - so that boom travels past your house.

Answer to Question number 2: there will never be a supersonic M20J, but maybe an M20SS will have some jatos and go very fast.  Unless Elon Musk brings an M20J into space like he did one of his cars. https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/elon-musk-car-in-space-tesla-roadster-spacex-falcon-heavy-rocket-launch-video-photos

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

These are beautiful photos, the one taken side on is fascinating as well.  

This has ALWAYS intrigued me.....When a plane travels supersonic is the boom continuous or only at the moment it goes supersonic.  Ie if all the planes in the world today were travelling at supersonic speed, would there be a continuous boom every time one went over my house for example, regardless of whether it was passing the sound barrier or had already past it and was going supersonic.

2nd question, when is Mooney bringing out a supersonic M20J :)  

The boom travels behind the aircraft- think of it like the wake on a boat... except that the “boom” is a cone in shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1