Pitch Trim Question

I have to admit I'm not very adept at using the search feature to find what I'm looking for, so if this is covered elsewhere, please point me in the right direction.

Lately I've noticed that our electric pitch trim moves much slower than it used to in the nose up direction.  And we've noted that it takes quite a bit more effort to trim nose up manually than it does to trim nose down.  I realize that trimming nose up requires lifting the tail section while trimming nose down is assisted my gravity, but is there some mechanism built in that is supposed to make nose up/down forces closer to the same?  That is, springs or something that helps support the tail weight and help lift the tail?  If so, what do I need to look at?

Or is our trim servo just getting ready to give up the ghost?

Expect cleaning the trim mechanism from nose to tail is in order...

The grease that is used turns into rocks over time...

Might be the chain and gearbox under the floor boards near the pilot seat... or could be the gearbox in the tail....

Up and down, the forces should be easily fluid like....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

If you tried to search... trim grease and rocks...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Trim grease rocks&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

• 3 weeks later...

Although I agree with Carusoam, I’ve found that special attention to the rear jack screw assembly is usually the culprit, when she gets stiff or starts to catch. Also, it doesn’t like wholesale changes to landing configuration at higher speeds. In other words, I find it more difficult to add a lot of nose up when setting up to land until the ship gets a little slower.

On a normal landing, also (unrelated) me likes the gear speed to be at the top of the white arc (about 120mph indicated) easier on those doors than the screaming speeds posted in the poh. Not an instructor...just my personal observation after 500+ landings in a mooney.

grease is a dirt magnet 

• Like 1