M20C missing in NC mountains from KDKX

triple8s

From Kathryn’s Report:

Mooney M20C, N6075Q: Accident occurred March 14, 2019 in Aiken, South Carolina

Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot reported loss of attitude indication during flight in Instrument meteorological conditions (IMC).

https://registry.faa.gov/N6075Q

@Hyett6420, the news article doesn't say much more than the plane departed Knoxville, TN, headed to Aiken, SC, and didn't arrive. SAR in Macon County, NC, is out, but the weather is poor. What blew through Alabama last night brought some tornadoes, and we were at the extreme SW end of a lengthy line of storms. The closest tornado to us fell apart 20 minutes before the weatherman said it woukd reach us, but the 10 pm lightning show was intense.

Here is the flight track. Looks like he went down right at the NC/SC state line.

Screenshot_20190315-150842.thumb.jpg.25297bd0c2e7375c881ad83e73466a72.jpg

18 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Could someone please have a go at wate and get this fixed.  They just dont want to understand they cant collect personal data, so they have blocked access to their site.  So annoying.

IMG_1260.thumb.PNG.34948558ebf4ebc3d65303c56cb1be04.PNG

Andrew -- I don't recall what Craig's username is (he owns the site), but I would reach out to him to see what his plans are for GDPR compliance. I suspect like many U.S. based sites, the GDPR requirements are going to be problematic leading to many site operators to terminate European access to avoid dealing with implementing the privacy requirements. I'm dealing with them now and GDPR requires a bit of work to ensure compliance. I'm hoping Craig has a plan so that what you encountered with the linked website won't happen to MooneySpace.

Edited by Marauder

2 minutes ago, carusoam said:

@mike_elliott Sorry, I crossed some names up in one post...

Pilot of the errant flight is Gary Huttleston... as reported...

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N6075Q

Fortunately Craig is still with us... Somebody else was looking for Craig’s assistance... :)

My apologies...

-a-

Thanks Anthony, I have reached out to Phil Jiminez who is listed as a facebook friend of Gary's to see if he may have contact info. Meanwhile, if someone knows surviving immediate family members, please let me know.

Mike

• Like 1

I get the heebie-jeebies everytime I go to Katheryns Report. Seems like there is a popular theme with many accidents lately - flying into convective weather. I'm glad the authorities located him this afternoon to begin the closure process for family and friends. RIP.

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Could someone please have a go at wate and get this fixed.  They just dont want to understand they cant collect personal data, so they have blocked access to their site.  So annoying.

Can you sign in anonymously through a function most browsers have? 

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

You get to chose what country you’re from. Theoretically, I could have used it to stream the Olympics from a Canadian IP address instead of using the limited US access. If I was someone who did that sort of thing...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Austintatious said:

man, this is terrible.  Instrument failure in IMC is very very bad.   Practice partial panel !  Or have a backup ADI.

Thoughts for the survivors.

We were all taught to practice partial panel, but sadly in an emergency it hasn't worked out well. The FAA eased up requirements a few years back and encourages a 2nd attitude indicator in place of a turn coordinator

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC91-75.pdf

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Austintatious said:

man, this is terrible.  Instrument failure in IMC is very very bad.   Practice partial panel !  Or have a backup ADI.

Thoughts for the survivors.

I have often thought about losing gyros in IMC and there is no reason with the low cost of a decent back indicators we have available today not to have a plan for when primary instruments fail. One thing I wanted to say too is I think it's insane for a person to think a cellphone or iPad 6-pak is anything more than a toy because it may be better than nothing but just barely. There is no reason not to pick up a used dynon D1  or something like that. I know they can be had for way less than 1000$ used and even buying new they are so worth it. A device that send attitude info to an iPad I dont trust much either. I think get a good backup system and also fly it under the hood in vfr with a safety pilot. Sad to lose fellow pilots.

• Like 4

I have a backup electric AI in my C and at times have briefly debated removing it to make room for another toy. Then I had a vacuum pump failure once and was soooo glad for that electric AI. With the vacuum failure the wing leveler stopped functioning and slowly drifted into a left bank around 10 degrees. Took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on. The two AIs showing something different then I looked at the vacuum pressure and it was zero. Quickly turned to the electric AI to get things back on track. Non-event after that but not sure how badly it would have gotten without a backup AI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking over the FlightAware data it is clear there was a control issue going on. Pretty significant heading changes and some altitude and airspeed anomalies. If the cause was a failed AI, it is indeed sad if no backup AI was available to the pilot.

0b6bf7138708f2c4d3dc861533f26710.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

@mooniac58 for Craig...

of course... @mike_elliott to bring Mike in on the thread...

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/03/mooney-m20c-n6075q-fatal-accident.html

Best regards,

-a-

He is having this issue at wate.com not Mooneyspace.  The forum software we use (IPBoard) is GDPR compliant.  The key thing is that if you delete your account all data is wiped from our servers.

• Like 3