Happy Pi day!

aviatoreb

21 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Grandson took Woopie Pies to school today. 

Image may contain: food

I love it!

There is more "Pi" relative mathematical science in that arrangement than I think your grandson, or maybe even the teacher suspects, I would guess:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-packing_of_equal_spheres

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

I love it!

There is more "Pi" relative mathematical science in that arrangement than I think your grandson, or maybe even the teacher suspects, I would guess:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-packing_of_equal_spheres

Maybe Eric, otoh the teacher was impressed and reposted my daughter's FB post of the pic. Daughter Sharon studied math at MIT where she met her husband. Pi has been a favorite theme for them. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Maybe Eirc, otoh the teacher was impressed and reposted my daughter's FB post of the pic. Daughter Sharon studied math at MIT where she met her husband. Pi has been a favorite theme for them. 

Cool!

my favorite application of packing theorems comes in coding theory which is a very remote nonintuitive application at first glance.  And to bring it ... full circle... (haha) MIT has a special place in the history of information theory since that’s where the founding father Claude Shannon  was.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

Image result for pi says to i get real

You know what really bothers me?  Its my electrical engineering friends.  They think i should represent current since for some reason current is more important to them than imaginary numbers.  So since i is already used up they use j for the sqrt of negative one. ??!!

And as many on here know, but I will repeat because it is beautiful... 

Euler: exp(I theta)=cos(theta)+isin(theta) so exp(iPi)+1=0. (but those silly EE sorts say exp(jPi)+1=0)

• Like 1

I have an industrial engineering degree and now work in the electrical industry, so I know what you mean about those crazy EE's.  For instance, I learned Joule's law as P=IV (Power = Current x Voltage), but they want to use P=IE (E being electromotive force).  I don't know if they feel like they have to be different all the time or if they just like PIE. :P

30 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

I have an industrial engineering degree and now work in the electrical industry, so I know what you mean about those crazy EE's.  For instance, I learned Joule's law as P=IV (Power = Current x Voltage), but they want to use P=IE (E being electromotive force).  I don't know if they feel like they have to be different all the time or if they just like PIE. :P

I have taught Complex analysis - the class - in a variety of formats for math majors, for engineers, or also at the graduate level.  The EE's in my class always seem to groan in pain when I write i...as anything but current.

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

You know what really bothers me?  Its my electrical engineering friends.  They think i should represent current since for some reason current is more important to them than imaginary numbers.  So since i is already used up they use j for the sqrt of negative one. ??!!

And as many on here know, but I will repeat because it is beautiful... 

Euler: exp(I theta)=cos(theta)+isin(theta) so exp(iPi)+1=0. (but those silly EE sorts say exp(jPi)+1=0)

I was working with that yesterday!

On a grinder that has to match 4 different local planes to the product plane.

Some people just don't get it...

• Like 1