Recommended Posts

Let Pi Fly!

Happy Pi day everyone!

Prof EB

IMG_2206.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

Happy pi day... all day long! :)

STEM thoughts only, not a mathematician.

best regards,

-a-

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, carusoam said:

STEM thoughts only, not a mathematician.

-a-

That was really funny specializing your usual disavowing expertise statement.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Grandson took Woopie Pies to school today. 

Image may contain: food

I love it!

There is more "Pi" relative mathematical science in that arrangement than I think your grandson, or maybe even the teacher suspects, I would guess:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-packing_of_equal_spheres

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My granddaughter was born at 3:14 on 3/14 so her middle name is Pi.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

My granddaughter was born at 3:14 on 3/14 so her middle name is Pi.

That is such a great middle name!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

I love it!

There is more "Pi" relative mathematical science in that arrangement than I think your grandson, or maybe even the teacher suspects, I would guess:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-packing_of_equal_spheres

Maybe Eric, otoh the teacher was impressed and reposted my daughter's FB post of the pic. Daughter Sharon studied math at MIT where she met her husband. Pi has been a favorite theme for them. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Maybe Eirc, otoh the teacher was impressed and reposted my daughter's FB post of the pic. Daughter Sharon studied math at MIT where she met her husband. Pi has been a favorite theme for them. 

Cool!

my favorite application of packing theorems comes in coding theory which is a very remote nonintuitive application at first glance.  And to bring it ... full circle... (haha) MIT has a special place in the history of information theory since that’s where the founding father Claude Shannon  was.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In celebration of Pi(e) Day, we did this tonight:

20190314_181518.thumb.jpg.86f8ec9450ccc0a6ca9f58c182ba2c32.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am surrounded by engineers.....  all day long

www.osisoft.com  Our software is called PI

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

Image result for pi says to i get real

You know what really bothers me?  Its my electrical engineering friends.  They think i should represent current since for some reason current is more important to them than imaginary numbers.  So since i is already used up they use j for the sqrt of negative one. ??!!

And as many on here know, but I will repeat because it is beautiful... 

Euler: exp(I theta)=cos(theta)+isin(theta) so exp(iPi)+1=0. (but those silly EE sorts say exp(jPi)+1=0)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an industrial engineering degree and now work in the electrical industry, so I know what you mean about those crazy EE's.  For instance, I learned Joule's law as P=IV (Power = Current x Voltage), but they want to use P=IE (E being electromotive force).  I don't know if they feel like they have to be different all the time or if they just like PIE. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

I have an industrial engineering degree and now work in the electrical industry, so I know what you mean about those crazy EE's.  For instance, I learned Joule's law as P=IV (Power = Current x Voltage), but they want to use P=IE (E being electromotive force).  I don't know if they feel like they have to be different all the time or if they just like PIE. :P

I have taught Complex analysis - the class - in a variety of formats for math majors, for engineers, or also at the graduate level.  The EE's in my class always seem to groan in pain when I write i...as anything but current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

You know what really bothers me?  Its my electrical engineering friends.  They think i should represent current since for some reason current is more important to them than imaginary numbers.  So since i is already used up they use j for the sqrt of negative one. ??!!

And as many on here know, but I will repeat because it is beautiful... 

Euler: exp(I theta)=cos(theta)+isin(theta) so exp(iPi)+1=0. (but those silly EE sorts say exp(jPi)+1=0)

I was working with that yesterday!

On a grinder that has to match 4 different local planes to the product plane.

Some people just don't get it...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Some people just don't get it...

You and I get it.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pi day sucked.  I was sick.  What really sux is the Ides of March is better.  I'll do my aviating tomorrow if the wx cooperates.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.