looking for a surface mounted diode

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

Is that a blob of solder I see?Forgive my criticism but I would go back with flux and copper braid and fix that...

HA! that's not a blob..... it's a double acting structural support and heat sink to prevent future failures!!!!  I always super support my solder connections that way! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peevee said:

I guess the question is, how many hours did you spend looking for the part and how much would a used ECU from a junkyard cost?

But knowing that you did it yourself- priceless!

• Like 2

Glad to hear it worked out. Component level repair is becoming a dying art. But it is very possible even today in the age of surface mount components. Certainly some custom chips are not available, and some designs are hard to troubleshoot without documentation. But many are also very repairable. Today we have people replacing $1000 flap relay boards when the only thing wrong is a simple and available $10 relay. 

• Like 2

Joe,

got a pic of the engine that controller goes to?  (Make sure it’s running, :))

If one were to count all of the various professions represented by MSers....

We have some really interesting, and driven, people on MS!

Best regards,

-a-

20 hours ago, peevee said:

I guess the question is, how many hours did you spend looking for the part and how much would a used ECU from a junkyard cost?

He lives in North Dakota.  The junk yards are far far away

On 5/1/2019 at 1:27 PM, Dream to fly said:

This hit a cord with me but here is the finished working repair.  To those who thought it was silly, a waste of time, or dam near impossible here is the finished job.  7 minutes of total time.  It took a month to find the parts and get the parts but the repair was easy.  I understand that most people on this forum or any other forum for that matter really don't know the capabilities of the others on the site.  But I am really tired of hearing negativity towards everything.  If you feel so compelled to shoot down an idea just to add content do me a favor record yourself and play it back repeatedly.  See if it gives you pleasure. 

Aviation is a rewarding field.  So are many others, but non of the fields including rocket science is out of the grasp of anyone with the willingness to learn, read and TRY.  I believe if it has been built by man it can be fixed my man.  It might not be cost effective and that is a good argument to have, especially if other better options are available but in some cases that is not the case and that is when people like myself find it a challenge to resurrect the broken.

AS FOR THOSE THAT HELPED ME THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES!!!  This website is absolutely the best!

100_0803[1].JPG

I generally go with Schottky diodes for protection. You could've used some flux on that. I usually do surface mount work with 186 RMA flux -- usually the pen is plenty adequate. You're better off using too much flux and then washing it off afterwards because too little will make things much more difficult. 

• 1 year later...