PowerTow With Mooney Adapter

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

The downside of the single wheel drive is traction on wet or snow covered ramps.

they sell chains I believe. I don't have a set, or a chain, or whatever you call it for one tire, so I'm not sure how beneficial they are

9 minutes ago, Marauder said:

They sell an electric version for 2.6 AMU.

Ummmm... yeah...

I was wondering if someone makes a bolt on thing that is essentially an electric with built in battery for like $250 as an add on and not nesc meant for aviation obviously.

36 minutes ago, peevee said:

they sell chains I believe. I don't have a set, or a chain, or whatever you call it for one tire, so I'm not sure how beneficial they are

The chains do help on ice and snow covered tarmacs. Not as much on wet. A nice sticky, soft rubber tire would be perfect.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

The chains do help on ice and snow covered tarmacs. Not as much on wet. A nice sticky, soft rubber tire would be perfect.

yeah they suck if it's wet. our hangar faces north and is always icy or snowy and our plane is a heavy pig so you really have to bear down on it if there's a little wetness or it'll just skid all over. Doesn't help we're pushing a 38' wingspan into a basically 40' door either, heh. If you lean on the handlebar with all your weight it helps a lot in the wet. I need to get a set of chains.

Edited by peevee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Ummmm... yeah...

I was wondering if someone makes a bolt on thing that is essentially an electric with built in battery for like $250 as an add on and not nesc meant for aviation obviously.

I'd have to pull the engine and see how the drive is set up, I bet you could use a high torque motor like a winch and make it work, the electric version looks like a furnace fan motor mounted shaft down on the deck. There's always a way. I bet it uses a different gearbox though

edit: wonder if a golf cart motor would work

Edited by peevee
  • Like 1

The company used to make a wired electric model.  If you have power in the hangar (I didn’t) and don’t have to go too far, it seems to me to be the best possible configuration: no batteries to charge and replace and no engine to maintain.  Maybe the company can send you the spec for the electric motor.

that said... I’ve owned a model 35ez for more than 20 years, changed the oil once or twice, and it just works.  The trans is getting a little vague and the tire is tired, but it just keeps going.

-de

• Like 1

When repowering my tug...

I used these guys...

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/searchresults.html?&search=*&filter=CategoryLevel0_fq:"Categories"&filter=CategoryLevel1_fq:"Engines"&rows=20&start=0

Many small engines use the same mounting bolt lay-outs...

Selecting shafts size and location is going to be important...

Best regards,

-a-

On 3/18/2019 at 10:32 AM, Marauder said:

The one I bought is a 35 EZ. The predecessor to the 40 EZ. Other than a larger engine, they are essentially the same.

The gas powered ones are pretty powerful. The one I bought certainly has more power than needed to move an F model. I suspect they put a bigger engine on it for heavier airplanes.

I have an original Lug Bug (two wheel drive). It moves the plane at half of the speed of this 35 EZ. The downside of the single wheel drive is traction on wet or snow covered ramps.

1fb8d20b5c54b1eb8770bb09310c7ce9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s a lot nicer looking than mine. Mine looks like a 25 year old lawn mower

• Like 1