PowerTow With Mooney Adapter

19 minutes ago, pvollmar said:

I paid $600 a couple of years ago for this tow, used. Would like to get $300, picked up at Lancaster, PA (LNS). Here's the manufacturer's webpage:

PowerTow 40EZ

And here are a couple of pictures:

http://www.pcvsoftware.net/N5617Q/DSCF0188.JPG

http://www.pcvsoftware.net/N5617Q/DSCF0189.JPG

Good deal!  I would buy it if I didn't already have this very same item.  They are good...snatch it up folks before someone else does!

I paid $600 a couple of years ago for this tow, used. Would like to get $300, picked up at Lancaster, PA (LNS). Here's the manufacturer's webpage:
PowerTow 40EZ
And here are a couple of pictures:
http://www.pcvsoftware.net/N5617Q/DSCF0188.JPG
http://www.pcvsoftware.net/N5617Q/DSCF0189.JPG

I’ll take it if it is in running condition. I’m based at N57 and will drive out to Lancaster to pick it up. Any issues with the transmission?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

22 hours ago, Marauder said:

I’ll take it if it is in running condition. I’m based at N57 and will drive out to Lancaster to pick it up. Any issues with the transmission?

No issues that I know of. I've only used it a few times. You can test drive it before you pay for it.

No issues that I know of. I've only used it a few times. You can test drive it before you pay for it.

PM me your contact information and we can work out the meet location and time. I’ll be the big ugly in the F350 Diesel.

11 hours ago, Marauder said:

PM me your contact information and we can work out the meet location and time. I’ll be the big ugly in the F350 Diesel.

Just strap it to the roof of the F, it wont create too much drag

On 3/12/2019 at 4:22 PM, Marauder said:

even if it doesn't run, a new carb is like less than $15 and a few minutes to install. A gummed up carb is the most common issue I've seen with the two we've had, next are broken cables from the lock handle to the "jaws" that grab the nose, that's $3 of parts at home depot to fix. I've never seen drive/gear/transmission issues and the briggs engines are pretty solid, though that one doesn't look like a briggs, might be newer than ours. Even in non running condition that's a steal IMO.

Edited by peevee

4 hours ago, peevee said:

I've never seen drive/gear/transmission issues and the briggs engines are pretty solid, though that one doesn't look like a briggs, might be newer than ours. Even in non running condition that's a steal IMO.

Looks like a Tecumseh.

• Like 1

I just replaced the whole engine with a new electric start version, added a battery and a toggle switch with 'start/on/off'.  Was less than $300 IIRC.  When i find another 'non-working' Power Tow, I'll replace the engine with one of the lawnmower engines that has a lithium battery and a pushbutton on the motor itself.  A little more money, but less effort in the conversion.

The transmissions are pretty bullet proof.  Get the proper replacement belt, the first time I tried I got an 'equivalent' part number but it was too 'sticky'.  The green belts are designed for clutch action.

Don

even if it doesn't run, a new carb is like less than $15 and a few minutes to install. A gummed up carb is the most common issue I've seen with the two we've had, next are broken cables from the lock handle to the "jaws" that grab the nose, that's $3 of parts at home depot to fix. I've never seen drive/gear/transmission issues and the briggs engines are pretty solid, though that one doesn't look like a briggs, might be newer than ours. Even in non running condition that's a steal IMO.

I already own one of these units and the weak link is the transmission. You’re right that popping a new carburetor, heck, even putting a new engine on it would be easy. Finding a replacement for the transmission on it is a different story.

7d5b5b80faa28ab208629cda1f6f0100.jpg

They are not hard to find, but expensive at $499:

Quicksilver Transmission Model 3500

That’s the marked up version Powertow sells. I should have said “affordable” replacement. It is actually the transmission off of a snowblower. Fortunately it can be repaired through parts but I haven’t found new ones other than what Powertow sells.

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Don, why did you post this?

Oh, thread creep.  If you can get a power tow for $300, there is not much that can't be fixed.  This is a link to a complete new engine with a lithium battery starter that could be used on a power tow. No messing around with changing carb's etc. mentioned above.   Aerodon

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Aerodon said:

Oh, thread creep.  If you can get a power tow for $300, there is not much that can't be fixed.  This is a link to a complete new engine with a lithium battery starter that could be used on a power tow. No messing around with changing carb's etc. mentioned above.   Aerodon

That's interesting.

Does there exist a bolt on electric motor as well?

15 hours ago, Aerodon said:

Changing a carb is two nuts and a fuel line. If you think that is more work than replacing an engine I don't know what to tell you 

Edited by peevee

2 hours ago, peevee said:

Changing a carb is two nuts and a fuel line. If you think that is more work than replacing an engine I don't know what to tell you 

I have a non-working engine with a new carb for you. With older partners in the group, at some point it becomes more about ease of use.

I've seen a battery powered Power Tow.  Nothing more than a 12v DC motor with an on / off switch using the smaller clutch and gearbox system.  

Aerodon

SOLD. I bought it. It wasn’t running when I picked it up but was able to get it running this afternoon. Gummy bears removed.

Kind of sad transfer of ownership. C owner selling all of his stuff and getting out of aviation. Not that much older than me.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I in fact have a battery powered one. Still haven't figured out how to use it though

The one I bought is a 35 EZ. The predecessor to the 40 EZ. Other than a larger engine, they are essentially the same.

The gas powered ones are pretty powerful. The one I bought certainly has more power than needed to move an F model. I suspect they put a bigger engine on it for heavier airplanes.

I have an original Lug Bug (two wheel drive). It moves the plane at half of the speed of this 35 EZ. The downside of the single wheel drive is traction on wet or snow covered ramps.

1fb8d20b5c54b1eb8770bb09310c7ce9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro