Time spent......

Thanks everyone!It is a great feeling. Today I was going to go file and fly my first IFR flight on my ticket but I just relaxed all day. My instructor Mike Radomsky and I took a tour of the North Las Vegas control tower, and puttered around the airport. Mike has a beautiful SR22, we did some cleaning on it and buffed the windscreen on my plane trying to get a few scratches out.

Yesterday Mike let me fly his plane left seat after passing the check ride. It’s not my Mooney but it was fun to fly! Thursday looks like good enough weather to get home. N201NU has been in Vegas since January 26th. Hopefully the freezing level will start to rise and I’ll be getting in a cloud layer soon. But till then I’ll use a safety pilot and foggles to stay proficient...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Thanks everyone!It is a great feeling. Today I was going to go file and fly my first IFR flight on my ticket but I just relaxed all day. My instructor Mike Radomsky and I took a tour of the North Las Vegas control tower, and puttered around the airport. Mike has a beautiful SR22, we did some cleaning on it and buffed the windscreen on my plane trying to get a few scratches out.

Yesterday Mike let me fly his plane left seat after passing the check ride. It’s not my Mooney but it was fun to fly! Thursday looks like good enough weather to get home. N201NU has been in Vegas since January 26th. Hopefully the freezing level will start to rise and I’ll be getting in a cloud layer soon. But till then I’ll use a safety pilot and foggles to stay proficient...

During the summer, make your way out to Newport or Astoria, they'll often have the marine layer for much of the morning.  The main problem is that Seattle Center doesn't allow for multiple approaches to Newport--they want you to land full stop each time and refile.  I haven't found that written down anywhere, but that's what they'll tell you.

If we have valley fog in the Willamette Valley, of course, you can get approaches all over the place, but that' doesn't happen too much during the summer.

• Like 1

During the summer, make your way out to Newport or Astoria, they'll often have the marine layer for much of the morning.  The main problem is that Seattle Center doesn't allow for multiple approaches to Newport--they want you to land full stop each time and refile.  I haven't found that written down anywhere, but that's what they'll tell you.
If we have valley fog in the Willamette Valley, of course, you can get approaches all over the place, but that' doesn't happen too much during the summer.

Good call. We need to meet up soon.

Well done young man, its an awesome feeling isn't it and it DOES make you a better pilot..  you are SO lucky you did not have to do the EASA one......  https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Aeroplanes/Competency-based-instrument-rating/
Have a look at the requirements for the full course!!!!  Yep thats what we have to do, 18 months of study at least before we get near a damn plane.
Your flight test looked so simple, no NDB holds, DME arcs or anything complicated.  Love it.
a little video of me "trying" to tech someone a DME arc.

Now that looks like fun, this was my first demonstrated holds and second DME arc on the third day of IR training.

05203f4c68b9eb88b0d62e9b0c8d6a8f.jpg

• Like 1

05203f4c68b9eb88b0d62e9b0c8d6a8f.jpg

I don’t know why the text wasn’t added to the pic, this was my third day of IR training first demonstrated holds and second arc I did. During the test the maneuvers we did in route steep turns, timed turns and recovery from unusual attitudes didn’t show up. They were from Bullhead back to North Las Vegas, you can see the slight deviation to the left in the pics@Thinwing posted. But you can see the tear drop entry procedure turn on the second approach into Kingman. The first approach was the GPS Z RWY 21 the missed approach and hold was at the IAF for the GPS Y RWY21 approach. Then I got vectors to final on to the final for the VOR RWY 34 approach into bullhead.

The flight time was 3 hrs long. The pros to that I had a lot of time to set up for things it felt like real world flying. The cons it gave the DPE 3 hours to find out everything thing I knew and didn’t know about Instrument flying. I felt more spent from the constant questions and him putting me in scenarios than the actual flying.

thats pretty damn good, what was helping you fly so accurately in the hold?  they are not normally that accurate as wind buggers everything up.

I was doing that by hand. There was little wind, and the timing came out to just about 2 seconds each leg. I had the timer and cross referenced the hold on the IFD.

I don’t have a DME so I had to use the IFD gps distance set to OBS function and followed it around turn ten twist ten.

5cad8f6f099995e3358b1a7d26f5b105.jpg

Congrats on this major accomplishment!  I need to do the same this year.

I used Kings ground school and shepherds test prep for the written. I watched the kings program through and through three times taking their pre tests before they give you the endorsement. I scored an 88% on it and was surprised at the questions I missed. But like@Gsxrpilot says that’s just 18% of showing off:)

In reality I had been prepping for the IR years ago when I bought the plane. I found a safety pilot to eat up most of the simulated hours and 90% of all the flights in the plane were cross country. I learned to hand fly the plane so all the instrument maneuvers holding alt, heading, and set up was pretty easy when I started flying under the hood. I’m far from smart but I took to IR flying pretty well and had the endorsement from my instructor after 42.6 hours of simulated time.

If you can I would start flying with a safety pilot before you started training with an instructor, it will save money and you’ll be a little ahead of the curve. If you have any questions feel free to send them my way.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

YOU are next on this journey i believe if you have not already done so.  subtle hint.

I have heard these rumors...

I moved to a new airport/hangar in January and there is a very active group of pilots in the hangars around me. Great folks. Going to start getting in some simulated time with some of them hopefully over the summer. I still want to put a GPS in the panel before jumping into the training with a CFII. Right now I just have the one Nav with a VOR and GS which is doable, but not preferable. Second radio is Com only.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

If you can I would start flying with a safety pilot before you started training with an instructor

That's interesting.  I was told by my CFI that I should first get some training with a CFII so I know the instrument scan and basics.  Then go do a bunch of flying with a safety pilot before finish up with the CFII.  When you did your initial flying with a safety pilot, was it someone who was instrument rated that could make sure you using proper scans, etc. even though they weren't a CFII?

I also do 90% cross country trips and exclusively hand fly my plane (no autopilot or wing leveler).  I don't have a certified GPS in the plane, just dual nav/coms, one with glide slope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

That's interesting.  I was told by my CFI that I should first get some training with a CFII so I know the instrument scan and basics.  Then go do a bunch of flying with a safety pilot before finish up with the CFII.  When you did your initial flying with a safety pilot, was it someone who was instrument rated that could make sure you using proper scans, etc. even though they weren't a CFII?

I also do 90% cross country trips and exclusively hand fly my plane (no autopilot or wing leveler).  I don't have a certified GPS in the plane, just dual nav/coms, one with glide slope.

My idea would be an Instrument rated safety pilot and go fly some approaches without the foggles. Just learn the procedures, or watch how it's done. You can get comfortable with the radio calls, intercepting the approach, and flying the missed. If this stuff is easy for you, it will help when you have to do it "under the hood."

I'd want a CFII to teach me the proper scan.

• Like 1

Rob Machado has videos free on YouTube to teach you a good visual scan. Along with other places on the internet. And you can practice the scans as you fly VFR too. Every time you look down at the panel tell yourself to do the inverted V, next time you look down check your engine gauges, and so on. As I’m sure you already do, but might not thought of it as training for when you have a hood on.

If you need that initial training then I’m not saying don’t start it with a CFII. But if you are proficient in your flying adding the hood doesn’t have to be daunting.

Don’t plan an hour flight for your first time using it. Try fifteen minutes at a time. The key is to know your limit then pull back from it. Prepare yourself ahead of time, seriously practice the instrument scan prior to the flight. And understand what each instrument means if it’s moving and what you have to do to make the instrument do what YOU want it to do. Set a goal of holding your altitude at first and work into altitude and heading. Then altitude and a turn, then a climb and turn. And so on.

Me personally I do t do the normal instrument scan training “the V scan”. I don’t focus much more on the AI than the other instruments. It made flying partial panel super easy. In my plane I have multiple places to get my track, the desired track if I have a flight plane loaded. So I verify what I’m doing multiple places. When they cover up the AI as most of the time that’s the failed instrument it didn’t bother me. I still hold straight and level, turns and timed turns were easy, climbs and so on. The ironic thing I installed the G5 thinking I would never end up losing it...

It worked for me, but maybe not everyone. If you have the ability to fly cross country’s without an auto pilot I’m sure you could start spending time under the hood before you pay for a CFII.

My safety pilot got his instrument 20/30 years ago and isn’t current but still better than not being an IR Rated pilot. But any hood time is good time. My requirements for a safety pilot though wouldn’t be at least an IR pilot, it is just a Rated pilot that I trust. They should be able to tell you from looking out the window if you are climbing or defending and just give you that verbal info.

Any chance you are in the Oregon area?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

I don't know if that's necessary, but it's certainly not a bad idea.  If you learn well from reading, are good at self-assessment, and have a friend who has an IR or a CFII to get feedback and debriefs from afterwards, I think you can learn plenty with simulated instrument flight before ever flying with a CFII.

The big risk is the possibility of picking up bad habits at the beginning and then having to unlearn them.

• Like 1

Charles,
You got me wondering now.  I only let instrument rated pilots like [mention=11970]gsxrpilot[/mention]  get stick time in my Lancair.  Looks like you might have just earned your chance!!
Tom

Well I didn’t want to say anything but that was my personal minimums when I started my training!!!;) To be good enough to fly that beast... Hope your hand continues to get better and we get to see you soon!!!

• Like 1