Manual to electric gear conversion M20C

those kits are no longer listed but @Alan Fox or @acpartswhse may have the needed parts in their inventory. I would plan on a 1-2 weeks to do the swap because you not only have to change out mechanical parts but you also have to run new wiring and install the gear lever, relays and switches 

Brian

@ShermAv8tor

I just may know someone that will soon have everything you need to do this conversion, the switches, wiring, brackets, pushrods, actuator, emergency gear crank, everything!

I’m just waiting for a few more parts to arrive and then I’ll have everything I need to convert my F back to J bar. All my electric gear parts will be for sale soon!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

I would sell the C and get a J...you know want one. No gear or speed mods required. :-)

Then I would miss out on laughing heartily at all of the "my engine won't start when it's hot, what do I do?" threads! Me, i just open the throttle a little, push mixture all the way forward, turn the key and push . . . .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David_H said:

The first run-in you have with the gear actuator will make you a Johnson Bar believer.

The first run-in you have with your right shoulder will either make you an electric gear believer or convert you to fixed gear . . . .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank said:

The first run-in you have with your right shoulder will either make you an electric gear believer or convert you to fixed gear . . . .

I can't fault your argument Hank... not even a little bit. 

That said, if someone has the physical ability, the J Bar is the better choice IMHO.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, David_H said:

The first run-in you have with the gear actuator will make you a Johnson Bar believer.

I got bit by a stray cat in my garage which led to an infected hand. There was a 2-3 week period where I wished my plane was electric gear. :lol:

1 minute ago, David_H said:

I can't fault your argument Hank... not even a little bit. 

That said, if someone has the physical ability, the J Bar is the better choice IMHO.

Personal preference. I could probably manage the bar most days. But I enjoy keeping the gear up and flying approaches with Takeoff Flaps, using gear to initiate the descent. And I've never had to learn the Mooney Dip, and don't worry over much about obstructed departures, important since I was based for 7 years at an obstructed 3000' field.

16 minutes ago, David_H said:

What about the bent j-bars, the worn downlock blocks, the j-bars slamming up while in cruise unexpectedly, the sticky handles not engaging as your just clearing the trees...

The 'complex' in complex airplane isn't necessarily the operational procedures, I think it's more the complexity of the wear and tear/maintenance!

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Both are good systems, fellas.  We are very fortunate to have two good options and none that are really bad.

I can wholeheartedly agree with this. They are both good actuation systems.

27 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

The switch is nice, though, and has probably never or at least very rarely ever broken the bank.  

The electric gear is more expensive on a annual basis... if properly cared for. There is an AD on the Dukes actuator and those that are wise also do the same for the ITT actuator. Parts for these electric gear systems can be challenging to find. I'm currently swinging the switch instead of the J bar.

The J bar isn't difficult for me to swing now... but that could change at anytime and I can appreciate the draw to an electric gear. However, the electric gear comes with a price.

Edited by David_H
Grammar

9 hours ago, David_H said:

And what did we learn about that guy on the West coast.....     I have heard of blood being spilt by a J bar.   Never by reaching up and flipping a switch

4 minutes ago, Yetti said:

And what did we learn about that guy on the West coast.....     I have heard of blood being spilt by a J bar.   Never by reaching up and flipping a switch

People have “heard” about all kinds of things that they have never seen and have no evidence. It’s a hallmark of human existence.

9 hours ago, Hank said:

I know about that shoulder thingy:o  and I'm just getting back to flying airplanes.:)  Flying a helicopter is easier with a bummed right shoulder than flying an airplane.:D  However, even if I had electric gear it would have been very difficult or impossible to fly by myself until now.   More than the moving the Johnson bar for the manual gear it was reaching the throttle, mixture, prop and radios especially NAV/COM 2.

Knowing that I had problems reaching those items unit now my  desire to fly was tempered during that time because I knew I could not do it alone.:(

I'm still a J-bar believer and you will never get me to convert.:D

My suggestions to the OP is to find one that has already been converted or go to  late model after 69 where I think all were electric from then on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

People have “heard” about all kinds of things that they have never seen and have no evidence. It’s a hallmark of human existence.

I have 2 documented cases about "they guy on the west coast"  One more and it is a verified trend.  And I have pictures I can send to the National Enquirer.