Seat Latch Failure

DonMuncy

This is a good idea.  However, I would encourage everybody to look at their seat rail holes and clean out the FOD.  I have read about this in previous posts and should know better.  However, after way too many years of ownership and annuals I never took it serious enough....assuming my rails were clean because the seat always latched “nicely”.  Today, I decided to clean them and was seriously surprised by how much impacted dirt was in each hole.  It took some time to clean it all out and It kind of bothered me to realize how much more pin engagement there now is.  In some holes I had very minimal engagement.  I used a drill bit, turned by hand, and a vacuum to do the job. 

• Like 6

On 3/13/2019 at 9:56 AM, M20Doc said:

For those without Don’s skill set, or hanger fairies, this might work.  I believe that Cessna and Mooney seat track profiles are the same.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/pspages/saftstop.php?clickkey=11451

Clarence

I ordered a set of these.  

1. The cut-out is too narrow for the Mooney rail.

2. Even if you were to file the cut-out wider to make it fit,  if it were place behind the seat, when you loosened it to intentionally slide the seat back to get out, 

it would shorten the seat's travel by about 2" due to the cotter pin placed in the rear part of the inboard rail to keep the seat from sliding off the tracks.

3. I thought of a block with a spring loaded pin that could be placed on the rail and behind the rgt front leg/roller, which would drop a pin into the next hole

independently of the seat locking mechanism but there is not much room there and the trim wheel also blocks access.  I am also thinking of a small clamp like

arrangement with jaws machined/filed so they grab the rail from each side and are machined/filed so the fit the contour of the rail and apply even pressure so as not to damage 

the rail.

Is there anyone out there that has a 3D printer that could make a pair of jaws in high density plastic or similar material that would not screw-up the rails?

John Breda