EMERGENCY GEAR EXTENTION COVER

Peter T

My ‘93 J came without an emergency gear extension cover. I would like to know how it is secured in place. Does it just snap in place over the handle? Does anyone have a photo handy of what it looks like when in place? What are the pros and cons of having it replaced? I am trying to decide if I want or need it.

Peter

If memory serves, it is held on with a couple of small screws. If it were me, I would want to install one. The chance of getting grease on stuff is there, and if open, the chance of something small getting onto the chain or down in the hole would bother me. I don't have a photo of it.

8 minutes ago, Peter T said:

If I had to use the emergency gear extention in flight, I’m not sure if I would want to have to find a screwdriver to remove some screws before I could use it.

I was assuming it's screwed in on one end but flips up freely with one hand, dunno. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vno said:

I know this is old but....

IMG_7184.jpg

IMG_7185.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

Brian

Thanks Brian. That is basically what mine looks like. I thought that there might be a cover for that whole thing so that the red release lever did not get knocked around accidentally.

Peter

What would be better than a cover for that thing?

Some un-Knowing person accidently releases that thing at least once a year in the Mooney world... just by stepping on it, getting in and out of the back seat...

While watching they don’t bump their head... it is tough to multi-task and not accidently kick the release ‘handle’.

So if you have an idea on how to better protect it...

Post it here...!

A nice, clear, thermoformed box probably would work well...

A proper piece of Tupperware might accidently fit nicely...

Best regards,

-a-

The issue with this thing- and I’m bet I’m not the only one that this has happened to-

if a passenger accidentally kicks the flap, and releases the top metal part when they get in- your landing gear won’t retract.

if your gear does not retract when you put the handle up, check that the emergency gear handle latch is secured and in the locked down position.