Breaking News: Stopping duplicate threads.

I got really confused this morning because it seemed that the "Boeing Acquires Foreflight" thread  had changed since I last read it on Wednesday, and my reply was gone.   Digging in, I found two identically titled "Boeing Acquires ForeFlight" threads, one in "General Mooney Talk", and one in "Miscellaneous Aviation Talk", that were started within 6 minutes of each other.   When two users read breaking news at the same time and decide to post it, it is not surprising that duplicate threads arise.   The thread they decide to post that it depends on where they think it belongs.  But, if we had  "Breaking News" thread, then the second one to post a duplicate thread would be given a warning that such a thread already exists.    This could trigger a fun game of "where's Waldo's news" and create an information race- making MS the most up-to-date aviation forum in existence!

I suggest MS needs a "Breaking News" thread to put current events in one place, and minimize duplicate threads due to different interpretations of which forum breaking news topics belong.

Thanks.

I agree that this can sometimes be annoying. That said, it's a little tough to ask someone to do this work for free. Setting up a team of volunteers to moderate something as simple as this just makes the environment unnecessarily complex. There are other forums that have tried this without success.

I wouldn't want his forum to enter into an unrecoverable spin like other aviation forums have. The members involved in MS seems to keep things fairly well regulated IMHO. I wouldn't advocate adding additional complexity to it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, David_H said:

I agree that this can sometimes be annoying. That said, it's a little tough to ask someone to do this work for free. Setting up a team of volunteers to moderate something as simple as this just makes the environment unnecessarily complex. There are other forums that have tried this without success.

I wouldn't want his forum to enter into an unrecoverable spin like other aviation forums have. The members involved in MS seems to keep things fairly well regulated IMHO. I wouldn't advocate adding additional complexity to it.

"Free" is an optional interpretation.   I donate, don't you? 

Anything to not see advertisements for  @Marauder's ladies.

Aren't Marauder's ladies one of the main attractions?
Hmm... an idea: A 12 month MS Marauder calendar.

Not enough paper to print it on and not enough gigabytes to do an online calendar. You’ll just need to enjoy those limited opportunities when they present themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/13/2019 at 7:46 AM, Hyett6420 said:

Only if we can also have one for Hyetts men, for us and the ladies. ;)  

Thanks for the kind offer, but my need to not see Marauder's 400 lb girlfriends in bikinis is exceeded only by my need to not see 400 lb men in speedos . . .  :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 10:31 PM, HRM said:

Thanks. Now I will not be able to unsee that. Where are the moderators! Jee-zus.

They're all on other boards in the interwebs. We'un's here don't need no steenkin' moderators!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2