Aileron Rigging

Hi All,

I've got a '66 C 3231 and am rerigging it from the beginning.

I've been comparing the 1981 and 1966 service manual section 6-3 and there's a sizeable discrepancy.

In 1966: "Adjust control tubes in wing so that the center of the most outboard hole in the outboard bell crank is 4 39/64 [really?] from the spar web. This is 4.61 inches, which is where mine was.

In 1981: "... so that the center of the outboard bolt (K) figure 6-2 is 4.3 inches from spar web (M)...." Letter M is not listed in figure 6-2 but rather in a later figure for the elevator, but the spar web is pretty straightforward.

My mechanic had another version of the service manual where the letters correlated correctly and also listed this dimension as 4.3. Unfortunately I don't know the revision at the moment.

We set it to 4.3 but had to take off the rod end nut on the pilot side to accomplish the goal, but this could be because the holes for the bolts was drilled wrong. Hard to say.

Has anyone else come cross this and found clarification?

I also have a 66 C model and personally would stick to what the 66 maintenance manual calls for. Its entirely possible that later manuals may have some typos as newer models were being produced and the wrong information could have made it into a later revision. 

Just my .02 as an A&P/IA.

David

• Like 2

Hey David,

Thanks for your input and agree with you. We also looked at everything again with fresh eyes and the '81 service manual doesn't have my serial listed on the front, so this gives further confirmation it's probably not for me.

We set it back to 4 39/64 and are slowly getting it back in rig. Looks like we did this one on hard.

Glad you’re getting it worked out.  Why would your maintainer use anything other than the manual for your model year?  Mooney didn’t build any C models in 1981.

Clarence

Clarence,

We've got Mooney Maintenance and Service Manuals Part Numbers 104 and 106. 104 was last revised in '75 and from what I can tell the 106 was last revised in '81.

Part 104 is for M20C '62-'67 and 106 is '69-75

We grabbed the one with the latest revision date and it happened to be the wrong 'part' number. Everything else aside from that one detail was the same and the photos in the part 106 were very helpful since the part 104 is mostly a just a bulleted list.