KT74 for ADSB out compliance

75M20F

41 minutes ago, 75M20F said:

I can’t even get an avionics shop to quote me on the install. My plan was to go mode S until my next annual in December and have my mechanic do the ancillary work while the belly was off and the back of the panel was opened up. My ASR is due then so we’d have the altimeter static and xponder checked at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does your A&P has the equipment and knowledge to do the ads-b out connection to your KT-74? i.e. has he agreed to take this on? Most don't even have the mil std crimping tools for the avionics wiring. And if you need a firmware update for the current ads-b position source protocol you'll be out of luck without the help of a Garmin dealer - there were a lot of updates. I recall their is an optional TIS-A out connection for traffic you could get in areas served by TRACONs as well as an audio out to the audio panel?  The guys doing the Static and Transponder test are not the same guys that do wiring.  Once you have the full install cost figured out you may be surprised to see your saving eroded from what a GTX-345 would cost you which is much superior and won't need a squat switch but does require a garmin dealer install. 

Your in a difficult situation right now with avionics shops, the better/popular ones have more work than they can handle right now. I doubt they would want to install anything they didn't source unless they already had a good relationship with you. Doubt I am saying anything new though.

But if your A&P can really take this on for you in December, I'd say your plan is sound good to go with Mode S now and having him finish in time for 2020. I am just skeptical of that unless you've been able to verify this. If you need a firmware update on the 650, you have plenty of time to get that from your 650 installer between now and December.

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

There's also the time to install the airspeed switch, which should be pretty quick, and replace the cable with RG-400, which might not be and might apply to both.

I talked about my experience with the instrument shop in a previous thread.  They charged me for about 15 hours to install the KT-74 even though they used the old tray.   That sort of undoes a lot of the attempts to save money.

I dropped my plane off mid morning and took it home at 6pm. It was their first kt74 install with ads-b to a 430. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

There's also the time to install the airspeed switch, which should be pretty quick, and replace the cable with RG-400, which might not be and might apply to both.

I talked about my experience with the instrument shop in a previous thread.  They charged me for about 15 hours to install the KT-74 even though they used the old tray.   That sort of undoes a lot of the attempts to save money.

15 hours?!?!? Thats insane!  What were they doing for 10 hours of that time????  I hope you got all new connectors and wire harnesses?  Even then- how much time does it take to build an 8 pin wire harness?

My axp340 install, which included riveting in a new tray, was only 3 hours (it replaced a king kt76A) (it was installed while I waited at the shop),  The axp340 is pretty much the same xponder as the KT74 (both based on the trig design).  All it needed was one wire from the  avidyne ifd440 and the new tray.

35 minutes ago, M016576 said:

15 hours?!?!? Thats insane!  What were they doing for 10 hours of that time????  I hope you got all new connectors and wire harnesses?  Even then- how much time does it take to build an 8 pin wire harness?

My axp340 install, which included riveting in a new tray, was only 3 hours (it replaced a king kt76A) (it was installed while I waited at the shop),  The axp340 is pretty much the same xponder as the KT74 (both based on the trig design).  All it needed was one wire from the  avidyne ifd440 and the new tray.

I was unhappy to say the least :angry:.  They claimed it took closer to 40 hours overall, but they "only" charged me 15 because of their estimate.  Despite telling them ahead of time that I wanted them to use the old tray, they said they spent several hours taking apart the center console to try to detach the old tray, and eventually failed.  They went on to comment on how difficult it is to work behind the panel.

I think they made the original estimate based on the cost of a UAT installation, and once they realized the mistake, tried to stick it to me.  I think once I called them on it, they got defensive and doubled down on it.  The plane was already done so there wasn't any benefit to ferrying it some place else.  I thought about taking them to court, but enough people here suggested 15 hours was at least within the realm of possibility, so I'll just chalk it up to experience and go elsewhere in the future.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

I was unhappy to say the least :angry:.  They claimed it took closer to 40 hours overall, but they "only" charged me 15 because of their estimate.  Despite telling them ahead of time that I wanted them to use the old tray, they said they spent several hours taking apart the center console to try to detach the old tray, and eventually failed.  They went on to comment on how difficult it is to work behind the panel.

I think they made the original estimate based on the cost of a UAT installation, and once they realized the mistake, tried to stick it to me.  I think once I called them on it, they got defensive and doubled down on it.  The plane was already done so there wasn't any benefit to ferrying it some place else.  I thought about taking them to court, but enough people here suggested 15 hours was at least within the realm of possibility, so I'll just chalk it up to experience and go elsewhere in the future.

Sorry to hear that... it’s hard in GA... so much money on the line- and such limited options... I feel like pricing is opaque at best at times.

for reference- when I had my aspen installed by Chief Aircraft at grants pass- they said it took 25 hours.  I believe that.  That’s a fairly involved install.  But 40 hours for a transponder... wow. 

1 minute ago, M016576 said:

Sorry to hear that... it’s hard in GA... so much money on the line- and such limited options... I feel like pricing is opaque at best at times.

for reference- when I had my aspen installed by Chief Aircraft at grants pass- they said it took 25 hours.  I believe that.  That’s a fairly involved install.  But 40 hours for a transponder... wow. 

I was thinking of going to Chief in the future.  How was your experience with them?

4 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I was thinking of going to Chief in the future.  How was your experience with them?

Excellent.  I paid what they quoted me, the quotes were reasonable, the work was completed on time, and I’ve had no issues with the installs.

ive had the following installed by chief-

gma-340, aspen 1000 pro PFD and EI CGR-30P.

went back later for software unlocks to the Aspen and the axp340 install.

would go back again to install my new ads-b in receiver and second aspen display, but now I’m down in Phoenix.  Sadly I have yet to find a shop that seems to be as reasonable / trustworthy as chief.

Edited by M016576
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I opted for a refurbished GTX330ES and had my local A&P install it. They told me it was a pain in the ass as the KT76A tray was riveted into the panel from the factory installation. Cost me $2500 for the transponder. Waiting on the bill for the installation, connectors, coax, the antenna and the ASR guy.

Plumbed into my GTN650 I got TIS traffic to boot

This thread 'reminded' me that I need to deal with this ADSB-Out thing in the somewhat near future...

So, after reading through this thread, and a few others over the past year, I still have a few questions regarding the KT-74:

1) Does a Garmin 430W have to have a particular firmware version for position source ONLY output? (Not interested in the other stuff)

2) Is it really only a single wire from the 430W to the KT-74?  (The EE in me expects a return connection!)

3) Can anyone confirm the Peregrine STC is free?  (It seemed that way when I communicated with Pacific Coast Avionics; they said to just download from Peregrine's site.

4)  Does that mean the STC is generic?  (I thought STCs were paired with individual aircraft???)

5) Is the airspeed switch still required?

6) If it is, how much is it, and where do I buy it?

7) Can an A&P sign off on all of the above after I do the install?

Thanks!

This thread 'reminded' me that I need to deal with this ADSB-Out thing in the somewhat near future...
So, after reading through this thread, and a few others over the past year, I still have a few questions regarding the KT-74:
1) Does a Garmin 430W have to have a particular firmware version for position source ONLY output? (Not interested in the other stuff)
2) Is it really only a single wire from the 430W to the KT-74?  (The EE in me expects a return connection!)
3) Can anyone confirm the Peregrine STC is free?  (It seemed that way when I communicated with Pacific Coast Avionics; they said to just download from Peregrine's site.
4)  Does that mean the STC is generic?  (I thought STCs were paired with individual aircraft???)
5) Is the airspeed switch still required?
6) If it is, how much is it, and where do I buy it?
7) Can an A&P sign off on all of the above after I do the install?

Thanks!

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/airworthiness_directives/index.cfm/go/document.list/display/new?tab=recent&startRow=1&make=BendixKing%2FHoneywell%20International%20&model=KT74%20Mode%20S%20transponders&daysIssued=60&viewType=models

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 3:41 PM, jaylw314 said:

Come visit us as well!  We would love to shake your hand as well.  We are on the same airfield and I was the Repair Station Manager at Lasar up until last summer so I have a certain love for the Mooney's and gave a great talk at Phil's Fly-In last Spring in Paso Robles.  Hope to hear form you soon