New panel ideas (1980 M20K)

39 minutes ago, m20kmooney said:

I don’t think so! With Dynon you have to use all of their components. And in doing so you'd be close to txi dollars. It may make sense for planes with simple panels that don’t have an autopilot for example. 

No way you will be at TXI costs.  That is a ridiculous statement.

1 hour ago, John Car said:

No way you will be at TXI costs.  That is a ridiculous statement.

I don’t think so! A Dynon with STC is around $18K. You have to use their components such autopilot, servos, adsb, transponder, etc. 

In contrast a 10” G500 txi msrp is $16K. Closer to 12K street price.

Dynon is for simple panels that don’t have an autopilot, etc. 

Do your math.

Edited by m20kmooney

10 minutes ago, m20kmooney said:

I don’t think so! A Dynon with STC is around $18K. You have to use their components such autopilot, servos, adsb, transponder, etc. 

In contrast a 10” G500 txi msrp is $16K. Closer to 12K street price.

Dynon is for simple panels that don’t have an autopilot, etc. 

Do your math.

For simple panels??   LOL  does this look like a simple panel?  http://www.dynoncertified.com/

3 hours ago, John Car said:

For simple panels??   LOL  does this look like a simple panel?  http://www.dynoncertified.com/

Yes, the Dynon is more appropriate when upgrading simple panels. Panels that don’t have an autopilot or a mode S, or ads-b, etc. They give you everything but you do have to use their components.

Edited by m20kmooney

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:18 AM, airbuspilot2436 said:

I'd like to get a new panel installed on my M20K here in Switzerland. Right now it has two 430W's, a EDM700, GMX200, and Sandel EHSI. I'd like to install a G5, an EDM930 (instead of the 700) and a GTN750. 

Has anybody done this? Or has better ideas to clean up the panel? Pictures of the panel are below.

IMG_7969.JPG

I'm in the middle of a similar process.  Had an even more obsolete panel (no IFR GPS, BK 525 HSI, etc.) My first change was to dump the busted COM1, NAV2, VFR GPS, and ADF in favor of a GTN 650 along with an audio panel and intercom upgrade to a GMA-350c.  (I really wish I'd have spent the extra for the 750 because it is making my future upgrade planning harder.)  Next big upgrade was GTX-345 for ADS-B compliance, with a 406 ELT and a Flightstream 210.  The upgrade after that was to remove most of the original engine instruments in favor of a CGR-30 combo.  I've got a KFC-200 that's flakey, so it'll be the next thing to go, in favor of a GFC 500.  The vacuum system will go with it.  My other original NAV just failed as well, and I'm trying to decide what to do.  All my GPS connections are currently in use, and the wiring for the GPS feed to the 406 ELT is in place and just disconnected because I haven't got an output to feed it.  I could go the megabuck option and get the GTN750 I want anyway, but the G5 can only handle one nav input so I'd have a 650 sitting there connected to a KI-203 with no ILS.  I could upgrade that to a GI 106b, but that kind of hurts price-wise and if Garmin ever allows the G5 to be hooked to a second NAV source in certified installations (they do in experimental, it's an STC restriction for... reasons.) I'd probably just want it hooked into the G5's and the secondary display would get yanked.  Alternately I could just get a GNC 255, plug it into my KI-203, and have it mostly as a second radio.  At some point I'll want to cut a new panel because the one I've got has been modified so many times it looks like a patchwork quilt.  I suppose a vertical card compass would be nice since I need to have a compass anyway and the one I've got is completely useless.  I just need another $50k or so and I could really get everything in the panel just the way I want it.  And then start finding other upgrades to spend money on.

• Like 3

I'm in the middle of a similar process.  Had an even more obsolete panel (no IFR GPS, BK 525 HSI, etc.) My first change was to dump the busted COM1, NAV2, VFR GPS, and ADF in favor of a GTN 650 along with an audio panel and intercom upgrade to a GMA-350c.  (I really wish I'd have spent the extra for the 750 because it is making my future upgrade planning harder.)  Next big upgrade was GTX-345 for ADS-B compliance, with a 406 ELT and a Flightstream 210.  The upgrade after that was to remove most of the original engine instruments in favor of a CGR-30 combo.  I've got a KFC-200 that's flakey, so it'll be the next thing to go, in favor of a GFC 500.  The vacuum system will go with it.  My other original NAV just failed as well, and I'm trying to decide what to do.  All my GPS connections are currently in use, and the wiring for the GPS feed to the 406 ELT is in place and just disconnected because I haven't got an output to feed it.  I could go the megabuck option and get the GTN750 I want anyway, but the G5 can only handle one nav input so I'd have a 650 sitting there connected to a KI-203 with no ILS.  I could upgrade that to a GI 106b, but that kind of hurts price-wise and if Garmin ever allows the G5 to be hooked to a second NAV source in certified installations (they do in experimental, it's an STC restriction for... reasons.) I'd probably just want it hooked into the G5's and the secondary display would get yanked.  Alternately I could just get a GNC 255, plug it into my KI-203, and have it mostly as a second radio.  At some point I'll want to cut a new panel because the one I've got has been modified so many times it looks like a patchwork quilt.  I suppose a vertical card compass would be nice since I need to have a compass anyway and the one I've got is completely useless.  I just need another $50k or so and I could really get everything in the panel just the way I want it.  And then start finding other upgrades to spend money on.

Easy to see how easy this can get out of control, isn’t it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

And gramin have deliberately designed it this way, the same as IBM and every other major software vendor in the past, it is a VERY daft thing to do as all your eggs are in one basket.  Having open source solutions is far better, but then what would i know, ive only been a CIO for 30 years, amd this is all software not aviionics.

Open standards and interfaces, anyway.  They could keep all the source closed but if all the avionics manufacturers were required to use a common communication protocol (CANBUS or something?) and completely document all data packets, it should be sufficient to allow any manufacturer to build their stuff to interoperate with any other manufacturer's stuff without requiring direct collaboration.  That would be pretty great from a consumer standpoint.  I'd still end up buying all Garmin stuff, but I'd feel a lot better about what happens in 10 years when someone else comes out with a really nice, newer EFIS that I'd really like to upgrade to without replacing the entire GFC 500.

• Like 2