Aspen e5

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Kris -- ever found out who owned your plane? I reached out to the guy who I think owned it, but he hasn't responded. He is getting up there in years and may not remember me.

It's in for annual...let me look at the logs.  Sorry this slipped off my radar

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The AV-30 is now certified. I'm planning to replace my standby vacuum gyro with one (in conjunction with removing the vacuum system entirely and swapping to electric speedbrakes). I'm not going to bother with another OAT probe just to get TAS and DALT on it. And I may not connect the GPS right now either, haven't decided yet. 

https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/

Edited by James Fulginiti

41 minutes ago, James Fulginiti said:

The AV-30 is now certified. I'm planning to replace my standby vacuum gyro with one (in conjunction with removing the vacuum system entirely and swapping to electric speedbrakes). I'm not going to bother with another OAT probe just to get TAS and DALT on it. And I may not connect the GPS right now either, haven't decided yet. 

https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/

I don't think the AV-30 STC covers use as a backup (unless it's changed - I recall emailing the company a while back while they were working on the STC, and I got a firm NO in response).  It's kinda infuriating since it has a decent backup battery and can be used as primary.

47 minutes ago, DXB said:

I don't think the AV-30 STC covers use as a backup (unless it's changed - I recall emailing the company a while back while they were working on the STC, and I got a firm NO in response).  It's kinda infuriating since it has a decent backup battery and can be used as primary.

I believe the G5 was initially verboten from backing up e.g. a G1000 and the limitation was later removed. IOW, there might be hope.

Technically, we don't even need a backup correct? So what's the logic in allowing it to be used as a primary but not a backup? I have an Aspen as primary.

The FAQ states:

Can the AV-30 replace my mechanical AI / Direction Indicator / Turn Coordinator?
The AV-30-C is approved as a stand-alone attitude indicator, directional gyro (dual unit installation), slip-skid indicator, and as the required backup in an EFIS installation.

If the installation configuration leaves no instruments that require a vacuum source, the vacuum pump system may be removed from the aircraft via a 337 field alteration process. The procedure for removal of the vacuum system is aircraft specific and beyond the scope of the  AV-30-C Installation and STC approval.

Perhaps a typo or unintentional omission, but the Approved Model List does NOT show the M20K... so need to contact them.

Edited by James Fulginiti

I emailed uAvionix...

Two questions:

First, I noticed on the AML, all Mooney models are shown except the M20K. Is this intentional or simply an unintended omission/typo?
Second, can the AV-30-C be used as a standby/backup Attitude Indicator to my Aspen EFD 1000?

The response:
The FAA limited us in the certification and the M20K has some s/n that are rated above 25,000 ft. I doubt that you fly at those levels, but because the TCDS limits it there that is why it wasn't on the first AML. We hope to expand it to include the M20K in the future. The AV-30-C is a certified backup indicator, but it is dependant on the STC of the Aspen whether they would allow the AV-30-C to be used as a backup indicator. I am sure if you call them they might have an answer for you.

On 3/7/2019 at 10:12 AM, Kris_Adams said:

The Aspen rep was at our airport yesterday and I got to see the e5 for the first time.  I have to say I was very impressed with how crisp and bright the display was.  It was very nice and looks so much nicer than a pair of g5s that were being installed.  I didn't realize that wind and TAS was not part of the e5 but requires the Pro to get it.   My real desire would be the e5 with HSI and SVT.  Of course that basically requires the Pro with an additional upgrade.

Costs:  5amu for the e5, 1amu for the analog converter to interface my CIIB autopilot and 3amu for the box to drive my autopilot without my attitude indicator.  So a base system (leaving my legacy attitude indicator) would be 6amu plus install (maybe a 0.5 amu discount btw).

Any way I look at this, I'm basically signing up for around 20amu over the next year or two by the time I'm done.

The box sure looked nice though!

I know of a shop that has one on the shelf and ready to go. When his AP crapped out before install, it just made sense to do a full panel instead.  The original owner went full Garmin glass instead with the big G autopilot.  I suspect it could be had at a very good price, not to mention it’s not too far from you. PM me if you want the shops info. 

The challenge with the AV30... it is attached at the hip with the AV20...

The AV20 is a pretty powerful device, but it fell down on one key attribute...

The sensor free AOAi that gave false indications...

Compare that to the BK AI that gave false attitude as a primary device... :(

This is in the category of nice, but wouldn’t want to be the first MSer to own one...

Use extreme caution when reading the install documents... there is no such thing as accidental omission... it either applies, or it doesn’t...  it is tough to design and build an instrument... getting the docs correct shouldn’t be part of the challenge...

To find the latest list, the internet works like magic for updating these things... :)

When it comes to flight envelopes... if a single instrument starts to limit how high you can fly... expect that you would want to put a placard next to it...

Having an instrument problem at FL250 would be a drag...  fighting O2 issues and faulty instruments at the same time would suck.

There is a lot of testing required for an instrument to be considered qualified for back-up duty with each primary display... there are certain limitations that are hard to avoid...

Make sure this device is qualified for your exact display... nothing would stink more than to find out after you have everything installed...

Digital and color do not necessarily mean better... their errors are really impressive... they can give false indications and look perfect while doing it...

There are no perfect manufacturers... Even big G has an airspeed issue reported on their similarly skilled device... it was reading airspeed when the pitot cover was in place... really odd. A zero on the indicator would have been an appropriate warning...

Continue to keep both eyes open when looking into these fancy color screens... no one is perfect...

PP thoughts only, about stuff that can be read around here.... not a instrument guru...

Best regards,

-a-

On 3/7/2019 at 7:57 AM, Kris_Adams said:

I love that it can drive both Nav heads.  I think I'd pull both of mine out if I do the Aspen unless someone else thinks differently.  I've also replaced my slaved dg already and I think it might be in need of replacement soon (this is where I like the G5 with HSI).  Not to turn this into e5 vs g5 but the e5 looks great while the g5 looks like a pair of old portable garmin GPS's mounted in a plane.  Still haven't made up my mind 100%.

Hold up, if memory serves me correctly., the Aspen E5 cannot display 2 Navs at this time.  It can display info for a GPS and a Nav but not 2 Navs.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

Hold up, if memory serves me correctly., the Aspen E5 cannot display 2 Navs at this time.  It can display info for a GPS and a Nav but not 2 Navs.  

That was one of the issues I discussed with my installer. You'd have to go MAX to do that. Keeping the GI106A was the only logical solution because I really had no need for the HSI of a AV30 or G5 and spending money didn't make sense. Installing a toggle between the two was also discussed. But, you'd still only get one source at a time.

27 minutes ago, Unit74 said:

That was one of the issues I discussed with my installer. You'd have to go MAX to do that. Keeping the GI106A was the only logical solution because I really had no need for the HSI of a AV30 or G5 and spending money didn't make sense. Installing a toggle between the two was also discussed. But, you'd still only get one source at a time.

You are correct and if anyone is interested, I have a special on some Aspens going on.  Contact me if interested.