KFC 200 trim servo

The trim servo in my 78 J needs to be rebuilt again, just had it done and it lasted about 5 hours before it started slipping again....

My question is can I fly the plane without the servo installed? Placard the electric trim inop, and fly with the trim wheel? It took 4 weeks last time, and I have a flight review coming up soon

36 minutes ago, marky_24 said:

The trim servo in my 78 J needs to be rebuilt again, just had it done and it lasted about 5 hours before it started slipping again....

My question is can I fly the plane without the servo installed? Placard the electric trim inop, and fly with the trim wheel? It took 4 weeks last time, and I have a flight review coming up soon

Talk to @Bob Weber

He specializes in consulting with people on these older autopilots. 

Have you checked the trim manually? It’s common for the Mooney trim system to get stiff. Also, check the carrier bearing where the trim servo attaches to the trim torque tube. It’s supposed to be lubed every year, but is frequently overlooked. If the servo really has gone bad again, it should be under warranty from the rebuild. 

To make the plane flyable without the servo you’d need to remove the chain from the torque tube and have A&P do appropriate paperwork.

Skip

Have you checked the trim manually? It’s common for the Mooney trim system to get stiff. Also, check the carrier bearing where the trim servo attaches to the trim torque tube. It’s supposed to be lubed every year, but is frequently overlooked. If the servo really has gone bad again, it should be under warranty from the rebuild. 
To make the plane flyable without the servo you’d need to remove the chain from the torque tube and have A&P do appropriate paperwork.
Skip
Good points here, the bearing on my 231 hadn't been lubed in quite a while when I got it. That made a huge difference in how the electric trim worked.