Mooney youtube transition training video

@Yetti I've haven't experimented much with mounting go pros on the plane except for one time in a rental.  However, from all of the Youtube videos I've watched I would imagine that it could make you a safer pilot as long as you do it all prior to pre-flight and then forget about it until after landing.  The knowledge that many people could be watching the video (and nit picking as Steingar points out) may cause you to go that extra step as if there were a CFI in the plane with you.  Do we all verbally brief the abort plan before every takeoff when flying alone?  I try to verbally call out all checklist items and abort procedures as much as possible but would be lying if said I didn't slip every now and then.  I have a feeling some of these Youtube pilots force themselves to go the extra mile (even if subliminally) due to the fact that many will be watching the video.

On a side note, I'm always listing for an incorrect IFR read back but after watching hundreds of videos it never seems to happen on camera (or make the final edit) :)  .

• Like 1

Cameras running don't change my flows.  If might be possible that I will not post videos where I don't put it down on the center line, thus giving the impression that a larger majority are on the center line. 

• Like 1

I have lots of videos from my first Mooney. I loved filming everything I could. I do a lot less now, just because there's so much effort involved in the editing. I think cameras are a very useful tool and can help make one a much better pilot. They can also lie and make things look different than they are.

I can't think of a single situation where I did anything different because the camera was running. In fact, I usually forget they are there until I'm walking away from the airplane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I have lots of videos from my first Mooney. I loved filming everything I could. I do a lot less now, just because there's so much effort involved in the editing. I think cameras are a very useful tool and can help make one a much better pilot. They can also lie and make things look different than they are.

I can't think of a single situation where I did anything different because the camera was running. In fact, I usually forget they are there until I'm walking away from the airplane.

That’s a good point, I was also able to use the footage for my own personal learning. In my comment about “doing things differently” I was only referring to people who we’re knowlingly using the footage to show other people.   Again, I think of it as a pure positive if these people are making a conscious effort to be more careful when they know that others will see the footage later.

On 3/7/2019 at 6:57 PM, Davidv said:

I generally really like his videos.  Everyone makes mistakes and has some bad habits, but he seems to exemplify the kind of professionalism and consistency that others can hope to emulate.  For instance, you always see him carefully go through check lists where Bonanza Matt is often talking to the camera throughout the takeoff role.  I’m not saying Matt isn’t a good pilot but his cockiness and “perceived” carelessness is the opposite of what Josh puts on his channel. 

Having just watched Matt's "horses on the runway" video, I think it's safe to say he doesn't sync audio with action in all cases (see the last landing; his commentary down final has no correlation to what he's doing, spoken or otherwise, yet it was obviously recorded over the intercom).  Almost certainly one should take his videos as pure entertainment and edited as such.

I think that's unique to Matt's videos; None of the other pilot vloggers I've seen record commentary while airborne without also showing the action during said commentary.

None of this is intended to comment on Matt's ADM skills; I've been uncomfortable for him a few times...  Of course, I'm not IFR trained (forget certified) and have a tiny fraction of his experience, so maybe that's purely on me.

A year or two ago one of the young YouTube aviation experts admitted to having pushed his 172 into his car, which he had parked in his hangar while he was flying.  He didn’t publish the video, but I can’t help wondering if it was because he was distracted by his filming.  I guess we’ll never know, but I know filming everything would be a distraction for me, so I don’t do it.  I do enjoy some of their videos, though.
Jim

The videographer was the same Mr. Aviation101. I remember his video on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2019 at 6:59 PM, gsxrpilot said:

My thought watching the video was that I should invite him to go fly with me, and show him how to properly fly and engine manage a turbo Mooney 

Who said it best "its not what you dont know that will hurt you, its what you know that isnt so" ?

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 4:32 PM, xcrmckenna said:

What? I’m missing something because I read that at 0 bank stall speed in take off configuration is 57 knots, 0 bank stall speed in clean configuration is 63 knots. You can go slower in take off configuration than you can when you start cleaning up and not stall, Right?

So why not leave the gear and flaps down for that short period of time you are that low with no options and not have a little less chance of a spin, I want as less kinetic energy at impacts possible too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chart is an oversimplification.  The flaps contribute to the lower stall speed, but the gear out does not.  However, as others have said, gear affects performance.  So, in climb, gear up provides better Vx and Vy performance.....so for clearing obstacles and gaining altitude, gear up and flaps as appropriate.  Where the gear out situation may be more effective, is in slowing the airplane down to stall speed.  So, for an off field landing, it is easier to slow the plane to achieve stall speed with gear out.  So, to get into a small field, or treetops at stall speed, gear out may be the way to go.  To stretch the glide or ditch have the gear up.  As others have said, J bar aircraft, gear up early for no other reason than it’s much easier.  That said, many airports in our area are surrounded by trees, so I like the performance early to have more options as I run out of runway.  Would prefer a gear up on the runway, than no options as I approach the end of it.  This can likely be as controversial as LOP and flap take-offs.  Worth trying various methods with a CFI to see what works best for individual aircraft, pilots and environments.  No trees or buildings off the runway might yield a different preference.

• Like 1

The chart is an oversimplification.  The flaps contribute to the lower stall speed, but the gear out does not.  However, as others have said, gear affects performance.  So, in climb, gear up provides better Vx and Vy performance.....so for clearing obstacles and gaining altitude, gear up and flaps as appropriate.  Where the gear out situation may be more effective, is in slowing the airplane down to stall speed.  So, for an off field landing, it is easier to slow the plane to achieve stall speed with gear out.  So, to get into a small field, or treetops at stall speed, gear out may be the way to go.  To stretch the glide or ditch have the gear up.  As others have said, J bar aircraft, gear up early for no other reason than it’s much easier.  That said, many airports in our area are surrounded by trees, so I like the performance early to have more options as I run out of runway.  Would prefer a gear up on the runway, than no options as I approach the end of it.  This can likely be as controversial as LOP and flap take-offs.  Worth trying various methods with a CFI to see what works best for individual aircraft, pilots and environments.  No trees or buildings off the runway might yield a different preference.

Got ya, it started to make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk