Mooney youtube transition training video

Here are two- don't often see Mooney specific videos.  

I definitely don't agree with some of the tips - i.e. the wait until you're past the end of the runway to pull the gear up (performance robbed and honestly you have a gear transit time of 8 seconds in the event of an engine failure).  I wish the CFI would be a bit quieter and let the PIC-to-be be the PIC in order to start integrating the various new-to-you Mooney'isms.  The left seater seems like a swell guy (hope he's on Mooneyspace).  I'm sure the preflight planning and decision making doesn't come through on an edited video in a couple of icing encounters in an unprotected plane.  Not much expertise with regard to engine management comes through on that video- that's probably the most important part of transitioning to a turbo.  Don't agree with the chop the power to reach gear warning and gear speed prior to gear down.  Makes no sense.  Plane has speedbrakes and is not that slippery if the decent is planned.  The new owner desperately needs an engine monitor ;-).  Not sure a long cross country with a single landing at the end of a flight complicated by icing is the best knowledge transfer method- getting a feel for the aircraft in it's flight /landing characteristics first would be a preferable approach.

Anyway I'd be interested to hear the group member's thoughts. 

Brad

• Like 3

Josh's video production skills are on par with some of the best in the business, he's come a long way from his first video several years ago.  If his instructing skills evolve along the same curve as his production skills, and I don't doubt for a second that they will, then I would not be concerned with where he ends up.  We need some more folks for the right seat of these marvelous machines, I would not hesitate to put Josh over there with myself, or any of my family / friends while learning to fly the Mooney. 

Ron

• Like 4

I enjoy watching his videos and absolutely loved the scenery of the cross country trip they recently completed together, it brought back some really good memories for me and makes me want to plan another cross country trip.

His camera work and editing is really great.  He is becoming a great pilot and narrator as he matures and gains experience. While he may not be a fit in a group of old grumpy pilots, mark my words, he is one of the connections to bringing younger pilots to our flock, let’s encourage him!

• Like 7

Josh got his instrument and commercial in a 201. He has about ten videos flying in it N217RW. It came up for sale a few years ago. I looked at it but it needed a lot of TLC.

I’m in the camp of raise the gear after there is no more available runway. Your stall speed is lower with the gear down and close to the ground I want to get as slow as I can before I land in an emergency and crash. Also the 10mph difference in stall speed with the gear up vs down could put you in a spin real fast if you don’t nose the plane over immediately after loosing an engine. I like the added buffer. Just me though.

In the second video of this series Josh talks about spending time at his home airport to give the new owner a much more extensive transition training than just straight and level flight. It’s coming in video three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in the camp of raise the gear after there is no more available runway. Your stall speed is lower with the gear down and close to the ground I want to get as slow as I can before I land in an emergency and crash. Also the 10mph difference in stall speed with the gear up vs down could put you in a spin real fast if you don’t nose the plane over immediately after loosing an engine. I like the added buffer. Just me though.

You keep saying gear, I think you mean flaps.

Tom

Yeah, I don't know, there's something about him that rubs me the wrong way.  I'm not sure what it is, maybe I'm just prejudiced against millennials or something, since it's not like I can really point out anything he says or does that is unlikeable.

Actually, I do remember I was annoyed when I first saw his videos that he titled his channel "Aviation101" when he was not, in fact, a CFI at the time, but maybe I'm just nit-picking...

How do you know, cause POH has them lumped together:
83bd9b1e5afa93410b45e99a31f1819d.jpg

Tom

What? I’m missing something because I read that at 0 bank stall speed in take off configuration is 57 knots, 0 bank stall speed in clean configuration is 63 knots. You can go slower in take off configuration than you can when you start cleaning up and not stall, Right?

So why not leave the gear and flaps down for that short period of time you are that low with no options and not have a little less chance of a spin, I want as less kinetic energy at impacts possible too.

Of course, coming from a J-bar M20C, I learned to stow the gear immediately after breaking ground. Now with an electric gear 252, I still do the same. Once breaking ground, the number one thing contributing to my safety is altitude. I wan't to get to pattern altitude as soon as possible and it certainly climbs better with the gear put away.

• Like 7

From a Mooney safety pilot.   Off the ground, gear up, fly it off, then nose down just a tad to gain speed.   Then gain altitude.   It will get you up higher faster in case you need it.    Keeping the gear down keeps you slower and lower.

Running the check list in a two person scenario makes you reliant on a second person.   Reviewing the person as they do the lists helps them catch things and then offering advise on creating a flow.   

Skipped the first 9 minutes

• Like 3

Josh Flowers, the CFI, is a good friend of ours here in the Austin, TX area and many of us have flown with him. In fact we can say we all knew him way back when he was just learning to fly. He's a pretty low time CFI, but a CFI none the less and does have plenty of Mooney time. My thought watching the video was that I should invite him to go fly with me, and show him how to properly fly and engine manage a turbo Mooney ;)

But he does have a great YouTube channel and his video editing skills are legit. He's got a huge following of young aspiring pilots who follow his channel. And that's positive for all of us.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Of course, coming from a J-bar M20C, I learned to stow the gear immediately after breaking ground. Now with an electric gear 252, I still do the same. Once breaking ground, the number one thing contributing to my safety is altitude. I wan't to get to pattern altitude as soon as possible and it certainly climbs better with the gear put away.

The way I see it, if I have my gear up early and have a engine failure on takeoff,  I'll gain more altitude but I might land with the gear up.  This might cost me more money but might save my life.

If I have my gear up late and have an engine failure on takeoff, I'll gain less altitude but I might land with the gear down.  This might save me money but might kill me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

What? I’m missing something because I read that at 0 bank stall speed in take off configuration is 57 knots, 0 bank stall speed in clean configuration is 63 knots. You can go slower in take off configuration than you can when you start cleaning up and not stall, Right?

So why not leave the gear and flaps down for that short period of time you are that low with no options and not have a little less chance of a spin, I want as less kinetic energy at impacts possible too.

You guys and your fancy, modern planes! In level flight, thendifference between clean and Gear Down / Flaps 15° is a whopping 3mph. But I've proven (accidentally!) that trying to climb with Gear Down is pretty poor, just 200-300 fpm. Raising the gear added ~500 fpm and made me feel much better.

Screenshot_20180817-182416.thumb.jpg.a17825baeaeb4440e8abafba9a5065ed.jpg

I rotate at 70 mph [75 if heavy], and once I determine I'm climbing and verify positive rate on the ol' IVSI, it's Gear Up time. After those 5 seconds I'm often passing through 80mph, and I hold around 85mph if there are obstacles to clear, otherwise I continue accelerating to Vy. Getting altitude quick is the point, because altitude is life insurance! 

• Like 1

I generally really like his videos.  Everyone makes mistakes and has some bad habits, but he seems to exemplify the kind of professionalism and consistency that others can hope to emulate.  For instance, you always see him carefully go through check lists where Bonanza Matt is often talking to the camera throughout the takeoff role.  I’m not saying Matt isn’t a good pilot but his cockiness and “perceived” carelessness is the opposite of what Josh puts on his channel. 

• Like 2

I generally really like his videos.  Everyone makes mistakes and has some bad habits, but he seems to exemplify the kind of professionalism and consistency that others can hope to emulate.  For instance, you always see him carefully go through check lists where Bonanza Matt is often talking to the camera throughout the takeoff role.  I’m not saying Matt isn’t a good pilot but his cockiness and “perceived” carelessness is the opposite of what Josh puts on his channel. 

I was really disappointing in Matts last flight he posted. He has way more experienced than I do so his minimums and go no go situations are different than mine. But he was taking off into known IMC at night, had an alternator failure on take off and continued on after it came back on. He ended up turning around due to lightning and unforcasted weather. But I would have been back on the ground right after that happened. He might have dual alternators, but he also says he’s been having this issue for a long time and keep thinking they got it fixed. At some point the real problem with his electrical problem is going to stay broken.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, steingar said:

One big reason I’ll never carry an active camera aboard my ship is no matter what I do, someone will find a nit to pick with it.

Personally, I think a turbo Mooney a bit of a waste in Florida.

It’s not where you start, but where you go!  

Hopefully he will join MS or start posting his own videos so we can see where he ends up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

I was really disappointing in Matts last flight he posted. He has way more experienced than I do so his minimums and go no go situations are different than mine. But he was taking off into known IMC at night, had an alternator failure on take off and continued on after it came back on. He ended up turning around due to lightning and unforcasted weather. But I would have been back on the ground right after that happened. He might have dual alternators, but he also says he’s been having this issue for a long time and keep thinking they got it fixed. At some point the real problem with his electrical problem is going to stay broken.

Single engine, IFR, weather, at night - not for me, regardless of my experience.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, steingar said:

One big reason I’ll never carry an active camera aboard my ship is no matter what I do, someone will find a nit to pick with it.

No one says you have to post the videos for anyone else to see. I do plenty where I use them to pick nits about myself and, hopefully, improve.

Positive rate vs no remaining runway? A pure technique issue which mostly makes me snore. The biggest problem I see is pilots who treat no "no remaining runway" as meaning "over the numbers at the other end."

Personally, I'm not in a big rush to do much of anything during takeoff.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

No one says you have to post the videos for anyone else to see. I do plenty where I use them to pick nits about myself and, hopefully, improve.

Positive rate vs no remaining runway? A pure technique issue which mostly makes me snore. The biggest problem I see is pilots who treat no "no remaining runway" as meaning "over the numbers at the other end."

Personally, I'm not in a big rush to do much of anything during takeoff.

Agreed, my home airport runway is a little over 3k ft.  By the time I get in the air and start a climb at the speed I’m going, there is no way I could put it down on the runway even if I still saw a decent amount of pavement below me.  I find this at most airports I fly out of as well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, steingar said:

Personally, I think a turbo Mooney a bit of a waste in Florida.

It's a lot of work what he is doing with all the cameras and then all the editing.     I approach flying with as much precision as I can muster.    Watching and picking nits is part of the learning experience. Just like reading NTSB accident reports.   Getting people to learn software and computers and then make it useful to them has been part of my whole career it carries over to airplanes pretty good.  The whole reason I learned to fly was I enjoyed learning what all the knobs and buttons do.    Bringing them all together on each flight makes it still fun.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 2