Boeing Acquires ForeFlight

Boeing Acquires ForeFlight
Combined offerings will provide customers across the aviation industry with enhanced digital services

CHICAGO, March 6, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] completed the acquisition of ForeFlight, a leading provider of innovative mobile and web-based aviation applications.

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2019-03-06-Boeing-Acquires-ForeFlight?fbclid=IwAR0kV323YpIUxQKW8zS3WZf5qhGOGdsNsrBH1vItNQAgdJPX2m44jOh99t8

N sure what this means if anything for those that use Foreflight.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  On the one hand, ForeFlight surely crushed Jeppesen’s subscription service for GA pilots (I know I dropped my CA only service the month I subscribed to FF), on the other it’s not as if there are no competitors out there.  My guess is prices will go up but added functionality via integration with Jeppesen that will make it reasonable.  We’ll see, I guess.

49 minutes ago, RobertE said:

ForeFlight surely crushed Jeppesen’s subscription service for GA pilots 

I think that the arrival of digital plates doomed Jepp's paper business for non-professional pilots. I subscribed to Reader Plates way back in the days when NOS charts were first available for free download. For 9 bucks a month, I saved untold hours of time filing those absurd Jepp updates, not to mention lugging leather binders around on every trip. I strongly preferred the Jepp chart format, but at a fraction of the cost and a vanishing fraction of the time, I switched to government plates on an ebook and never looked back. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 11:39 AM, 201er said:

Good thing I use wingx :D

I really really wish WingX would support Garmin ADS-B. They have said for years that Garmin won't open their platform, and won't play nice with third party app developers. But meanwhile both FF and FltPlanGo got Garmin ADS-B support. (Of course, it's possible that the FltPlan acquisition was in the works when support was added.)

Anyway, I'd love to see a legit alternative to FF and GP, and I keep hoping that WingX can be that alternative. But I want an option that talks to a GTX, so FltPlanGo has been my go-to CB option. 

ForeFlight has been expensive for years, and getting more expensive all the time. So for all you CB's out there, nothing changes. It's still too expensive for you.

But as a fan of ForeFlight (and yes I've tried the others, I have a lifetime subscription for FlyQ), I'm not worried about this acquisition. In fact, I'm hopeful that maybe ForeFlight will take over the Jeppessen website and downloads to bring them into the 21st century.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Fred₂O said:

There is an identically titled thread to this one in the forum "General Mooney Talk".  They started within six minutes of each other.

Two identical posts in the same thread.  They occurred within less than 5 minutes of each other, but I don't think this needs a separate forum.

Yes, in the same thread.....read the TWO posts above mine....just saying 

I see the same thing. There is a slight difference in each post. He starts out one with FYI and one one he spell “six” and the other uses the number 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

ForeFlight has been expensive for years, and getting more expensive all the time. So for all you CB's out there, nothing changes. It's still too expensive for you.

But as a fan of ForeFlight (and yes I've tried the others, I have a lifetime subscription for FlyQ), I'm not worried about this acquisition. In fact, I'm hopeful that maybe ForeFlight will take over the Jeppessen website and downloads to bring them into the 21st century.

That’s a big hope!  Sadly, I think it might go the other way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M016576 said:

That’s a big hope!  Sadly, I think it might go the other way.

There are now 37 different versions of Foreflight and you have to call them with your credit card to get a download code for the proper version and the prices aren't posted and the descriptions are vague about what's included.

Edited by Steve W
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Steve W said:

There are now 37 different versions of Foreflight and you have to call them with your credit card to get a download code for the proper version and the prices aren't posted and the descriptions are vague about what's included.

I'm happy to help you with it if you're confused.

There are three plans, three regions for maps, and the Jep option. I've been a customer for five years and have never talked to anyone on the phone. Because all the prices ARE posted on the website. Just check the boxes for what you need and the subscription updates. It couldn't be easier.

Maybe you can find a 12 year old hanging around. I'm sure they could help. :blink: