Boeing Acquires ForeFlight

Bryan

4 minutes ago, Bryan said:

http://www.foreflightaboeingcompany.com/

Boeing [NYSE: BA] completed the acquisition of ForeFlight, a leading provider of innovative mobile and web-based aviation applications...

Jeppesen Foreflight.   I just hope they don't make us pay $499 a year to buy the Jeppesen Nav database...  :(  If so, I'll be moving to a different EFB.

• Like 3

How ironic!  Boeing (Jeppesen) probably laughed when they saw the first edition of Foreflight. But Foreflight and other apps like it effectively put Jeppesen out of the major paper charts business. Now they spent, I hope, a huge sum to buy them.

Yeah, but ForeFlight subscriptions just went up....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just now, xcrmckenna said:

Yeah, but ForeFlight subscriptions just went up....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avare is sounding better now, isn't it? Except for those who bought apple tablets specifically for ForeFlight . . . .

• Like 1

As someone who refuses to drink the Apple "cool aid", Sadly ForeFlight is hard pill to swallow either way.   Maybe Boeing's injection of capital will get them to finally develop for the rest of the world. (Android)

Until then, Avare, or FltPlan Go hold a nice second place.   Oh and did I mention the price?  FREE  :)

That's why I'm planning my new panel NOT around Foreflight or iPad in any way.   It's simply no future-proof.  

A change in ownership can make a great product like Foreflight unworkable within 12 months - seen it happen too often.

We're already in a tough place with Apple no longer doing the mini iPads which fit so nicely on the yoke.

4 minutes ago, pwnel said:

We're already in a tough place with Apple no longer doing the mini iPads which fit so nicely on the yoke.

Apple is coming out with a new iPad mini in just a few weeks.

This is not necessarily a bad thing for those of us that are fans of ForeFlight. In fact, we can all hope that the ForeFlight team takes over the Jep website, store front, electronic updates, etc. 

I'll certainly stay with ForeFlight as long the product stays as good as it is and the price doesn't go up.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

This is not necessarily a bad thing for those of us that are fans of ForeFlight. In fact, we can all hope that the ForeFlight team takes over the Jep website, store front, electronic updates, etc. 

In other words, have someone run it who knows how to build a decent UI.

And for Garmin/Garmin Pilot, does this change the math on which EFB can throw the most resources at their development team?;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Avare is sounding better now, isn't it? Except for those who bought apple tablets specifically for ForeFlight . . . .

Having looked at the Avare code... No, I'll stick with Garmin Pilot, at least there I don't know if it's bad or not since I can't see it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Apple is coming out with a new iPad mini in just a few weeks.

Been hearing that for over a year now, a la Bendix King . . . But in apple's case, it's all rumor, not press releases.

22 minutes ago, Hank said:

Been hearing that for over a year now, a la Bendix King . . . But in apple's case, it's all rumor, not press releases.

The difference is, Apple delivers. Expect a press release in the next three weeks with availablity the following week.

5 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The difference is, Apple delivers. Expect a press release in the next three weeks with availablity the following week.

Im not gonna say apple delivers, but it seems very likely that a new Ipad mini will be anounced. I'm samsung everything, but when It comes to flying, I love my ipad mini, and I was never a fan of the tablets samsung created.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Im not gonna say apple delivers, but it seems very likely that a new Ipad mini will be anounced. I'm samsung everything, but when It comes to flying, I love my ipad mini, and I was never a fan of the tablets samsung created. should be a great platform with the new mini.

I started with FltPlan Go since it was free and have since stuck to it because it seems to do everything I need.  Is there anything that ForeFlight offers that FltPlan Go doesn't  or is it just a better user interface that you are paying for?

9 minutes ago, DXB said:

Someone please explain to me why exactly would Boeing want Foreflight?  Or Jeppesen for that matter? How exactly does it help them with their core business of big planes and some weapons?

Jeppesen is owned by Boeing.. but Jeppesen is a aviation charts company.   Something that Foreflight handles well.