Oil return line

Not a Mooney but thought y’all might like to see this photo.  While doing my first Annual on my ‘95 Citabria I found this little problem.  The safety wire holding the baffling together was sawing into the #4 oil return line.  Surprisingly there was very little evidence of oil leaking in the area.  I found something similar on my previous Mooney years ago so I’m always careful to look for this problem and to cover the safety wire with hose for protection. Since this was my first Annual on this airplane I expected to find a lot of issues. Other than the oil line it only had a few nits as well as needing new brakes, tires, and plugs. 

Y’all be careful out there.  Lee

6B83B514-8A8E-409A-95EF-F4FCB08E305A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a similar issue on my #1 cyl return line from a piece of baffle seal rubbing it. I got a new line from a local engine builder who said that alternatively, using a piece of rubber tubing as a sheath was an acceptable repair. Enjoy your Citabria! I have special place in my heart for the KCAB airframes as well as the 7AC and 11AC. I’ve very no time under the cowl of the 7KCAB. Was the safety wire originally part of the baffle seal? 

Edited by Shadrach

6 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I had a similar issue on my #1 cyl return line from a piece of baffle seal rubbing it. I got a new line from a local engine builder who said that alternatively, using a piece of rubber tubing as a sheath was an acceptable repair. 

I used a piece of hose over the rod where it crosses the return lines per my IA's suggestion, major pain getting it over the rod with the offsets bent in it. Ended up doing both sides, again to put a smile on my IA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RLCarter said:

I used a piece of hose over the rod where it crosses the return lines per my IA's suggestion, major pain getting it over the rod with the offsets bent in it. Ended up doing both sides, again to put a smile on my IA

It makes sense as a precaution but I’m sure was a pain. I just inspect mine whenever the cowl is off to ensure everything clear.

• Like 1