Just Showing Off

bob865

Flew down to Fort Lauderdale to pick up my girl from Edison at Wet Wingologists East after getting her tanks resealsed.  Before I left, she got parked in front of the FBO buildings and trees and I thought she was looking particularly good and had a nice background.  So I just wanted to share. 

20190305_105424.jpg

20190305_105734.jpg

20190305_105747.jpg

20190305_105804.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Way to go, Bob!

That pic is warming up the 6” of snow we have around here.

Thanks for sharing that...

Got any details to share on your WetWingologist experience?

Edison typically gets good reviews from his customers...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

Nice pics Bob and a nice looking Mooney you have. Probably just a coincidence but the 2nd photo of your Mooney parked beside the Aerostar is rather appropriate as Aerostars were manufactured by Mooney at Kerrville under license for a short time.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the kind words guys.  I spent all my time since that post flying. It was 6 hrs from Florida to my home base in South Carolina.  To share some about the trip and the wet wingologists.  I couldn't be happier with his work.  He used all stainless fasteners replacing them when he did the work.  he also refinished the wing walk so it looks brand new also. My only disappoinment and I'm stretching to come up with this is the bill was higher than I expected by about $200, but with how good it all looks, I didn't see it as a problem.  He did do some extra work I authorized while he was in there that ran the bill up.  The brackets that hold the sump valves were severly corroded. That expalains why I had replaced the valves twice and still saw the same leaks.  Now not a drop is leaking and no more light fuel smell in the cabin.  Be ready for some expensive gas though, FXE prices were almost $7/gal and you have to fill up to test the tanks.  Pictures are below.  It's kinda cool now, when you pull the fule caps it all nice and clean so when the sun hits the fuel and tank it has an awesome blue glow.

To answer another question that was asked, mine is a 75.  Fun fact, mine is 21-1179 and the last E even built was 21-1180 and it's in canada.  So I have the last E model produced in the US.

The pink is the original sealant.  In some of the pictures I think I can even see the cracks.  The next are the corroded mounts for the sump drains I mentined earlier and the black is the finished work.

Oh...one more thing he mentioned.  If you have wet tanks, it's best to keep them full, especially if you tie down instead of hangaring.  Keeping the sealant wet helps keep it from drying and cracking. 

20190221_154300(1)[1].jpg

20190221_154216[1].jpg

20190222_085929[1].jpg

20190222_085941[1].jpg

20190222_085948[1].jpg

20190228_070113[1].jpg

20190228_070125[1].jpg

20190228_163035[1].jpg

I now have a question for you guys.....

I found a cheap 360 degree camera and used it for the first time.  It's cool, but now I've got two maintenance concerns I wouldn't have know about othewise.

1. When the gear comes up, it looks like something is protruding from the wheel well.  I can't tell what it could be.  Any thoughts?
  2. At around 3:05 I level off and close the cowl flaps.  The don't close as far as I was expecting.  Is that their normal "closed" position?

24 minutes ago, bob865 said:

I found a cheap 360 degree camera and used it for the first time.  It's cool, but now I've got two maintenance concerns I wouldn't have know about othewise.

1. When the gear comes up, it looks like something is protruding from the wheel well.  I can't tell what it could be.  Any thoughts?
  2. At around 3:05 I level off and close the cowl flaps.  The don't close as far as I was expecting.  Is that their normal "closed" position?
  1. Those are the brake calipers hanging down. Now you know why the brake reversal STC is so popular. I also need to get it . . . I think it's from LASAR, and priced right.
  2. Search Mooneyspace for threads about adjusting cowl flaps. Lots of us gave measurements for how our flaps operate, and there are also suggested openings to set against. I don't recall details, because the cowl flaps on my C are fixed.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bob865 said:

OK, until I watched your video, I never considered such a thing.   Now I'm thinking that having a cheap 360-degree camera to abuse by slamming it through the atmosphere at high speed would be Really Cool.    What did you get?   How did you mount it?

Hi Bob,

I just picked up my plane from Wet Wingologists on the 28th. It was more expensive than he quoted but that’s expected with a 44 year old airplane. I left mine at Banyan cause I had to fly to VNY for work on the 1st. Good luck with the new seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, 75M20F said:

Hi Bob,

I just picked up my plane from Wet Wingologists on the 28th. It was more expensive than he quoted but that’s expected with a 44 year old airplane. I left mine at Banyan cause I had to fly to VNY for work on the 1st. Good luck with the new seal.

Mine was more expensive too by about $600, but the following extra work was required:  

Stripping was made four days more difficult by the fact that someone had tried using spray paint to seal leaking tanks (I'm not kidding).  There was paint in between two layers of polysulfide sealant.  That plus, 1 ea. new left-hand fuel strainer and 2 ea. replacement fittings for sump drain installation.   All in all for the extra work, the additional $600 seemed quite reasonable to me.

4 hours ago, Hank said:
  1. Those are the brake calipers hanging down. Now you know why the brake reversal STC is so popular. I also need to get it . . . I think it's from LASAR, and priced right.
  2. Search Mooneyspace for threads about adjusting cowl flaps. Lots of us gave measurements for how our flaps operate, and there are also suggested openings to set against. I don't recall details, because the cowl flaps on my C are fixed.

That's exactly what I was looking for.  I feel better now.  Thanks!! :D

3 hours ago, Fred₂O said:

OK, until I watched your video, I never considered such a thing.   Now I'm thinking that having a cheap 360-degree camera to abuse by slamming it through the atmosphere at high speed would be Really Cool.    What did you get?   How did you mount it?

It's a 360Fly camera I found it on a discount site, meh.com, for around $40 or $50.  I remember seeing it at REI a few years ago when it was new for around $500.  Way too rich for my blood, but $40 was right in my price range.  The mount is on my tie down under the right wing with my CB mount I made with some fender washers, eye bolt, and nut and bolt.  Checking on the maintenance of my plane isn't why I bought it, but it sure was a nice side effect.

• Thanks 1

Mine was $2000 over. Both sump drains were shot. I needed over 120 nut plates at $5.25 each from all the different times multiple mechanics tried to reseal the tanks. Add to that having my fuel senders overhauled added another six hundred to the total. We needed to hire an a&p to hook them up for another $600. It was an expensive annual this year.

8 hours ago, Hank said:

So I looked at my calipers closer today and I’m really wondering how they stick out like that video?  They seem sandwiched between the wheel and gear door, parallel to the gear door.  How do they end up hanging down like that video?

1 hour ago, 75M20F said:

Mine was $2000 over. Both sump drains were shot. I needed over 120 nut plates at $5.25 each from all the different times multiple mechanics tried to reseal the tanks. Add to that having my fuel senders overhauled added another six hundred to the total. We needed to hire an a&p to hook them up for another $600. It was an expensive annual this year.

Ouch.   Good thing to be done with.

3 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

So I looked at my calipers closer today and I’m really wondering how they stick out like that video?  They seem sandwiched between the wheel and gear door, parallel to the gear door.  How do they end up hanging down like that video?

Yours may already be rotated. Looking at your plane in the ground, are the brakes sticking out toward the wingtips [the factory way] or toward the fuselage [rotated]? 

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

Yours may already be rotated. Looking at your plane in the ground, are the brakes sticking out toward the wingtips [the factory way] or toward the fuselage [rotated]? 

Towards the wingtip.  Sandwich between the wheel and the gear door.

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Towards the wingtip.  Sandwich between the wheel and the gear door.

The "rotation" describes where it mounts on the wheel axle.  If your calipers are mounted low and forward of the axle, they've been modified.  If they are mounted above and to the rear of the axle, they are original.

I did this mod to both of my M20Cs but it makes little (if any) difference in speed.  It is inexpensive and it makes brake maintenance a snap, but if you get a flat tire you'll damage your caliper.  

18 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

The "rotation" describes where it mounts on the wheel axle.  If your calipers are mounted low and forward of the axle, they've been modified.  If they are mounted above and to the rear of the axle, they are original.

I did this mod to both of my M20Cs but it makes little (if any) difference in speed.  It is inexpensive and it makes brake maintenance a snap, but if you get a flat tire you'll damage your caliper.  

Thanks, that made sense.  They are original.  They are behind the axle.  I just can’t get through my mind how they stick out like the video showed.  They are inside the gear doors (between the door and the tire) and the gear doors come up relatively flush.  I’d think that would force the brakes up into the gear well. 

10 hours ago, 75M20F said:

Hi Bob,

Not sure if anyone welcomed you to the forum. Don’t see if it happened. 

Welcome, and please stick around for awhile.

Please post a hello on the General page and give us some cliff notes about yourself

welcome again

9 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

They are inside the gear doors (between the door and the tire) and the gear doors come up relatively flush.  I’d think that would force the brakes up into the gear well. 

Remember, the gear doors don't end up in the same place relative to the gear when it is retracted.  The pivot point for the gear and the pivot point for the doors are different, the doors end up higher along the the gear leg when retracted, that may be why you see more of the brake.

Ron

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marcopolo said:

Remember, the gear doors don't end up in the same place relative to the gear when it is retracted.  The pivot point for the gear and the pivot point for the doors are different, the doors end up higher along the the gear leg when retracted, that may be why you see more of the brake.

Ron

Ahhh, thanks!  That’s what I wasn’t getting!  Awesome!  And all on a thread I stole from tank resealing!

• Haha 1