HSI

Releew

My HSI suddenly stopped movement.  Upon landing, I reset to the correct compass heading and locked to the caged position.  The gyro is running in the avionics bay, but the Autopilot is not following the heading bug or NAV.  Pressing the NAV button put the aircraft in a continuous 360 SRT.  It will hold altitude.  The HSI does follow the compass and seems to be accurate to magnetic heading after I reset it.

Any input would be appreciated.

Rick

1 hour ago, Releew said:

My HSI suddenly stopped movement.  Upon landing, I reset to the correct compass heading and locked to the caged position.  The gyro is running in the avionics bay, but the Autopilot is not following the heading bug or NAV.  Pressing the NAV button put the aircraft in a continuous 360 SRT.  It will hold altitude.  The HSI does follow the compass and seems to be accurate to magnetic heading after I reset it.

Any input would be appreciated.

Rick

Does the HSI work independently of the autopilot?  

From the description, I'm guessing you have a KCS 55A compass system with KI 525A HSI and KG 102A remote gyro driving a KFC 150 or KFC 200 or KAP 150 autopilot.

It sounds like either a broken wire or other issue with the HDG output from the KI 525A to the autopilot. I had a similar problem with an Aspen EFD 1000  ACU driving  a KAP 150 and it turned out to be a broken wire at the connector to the KC 191 computer. Steve Chapman at Autopilots Central told me that heading problems are almost never a computer issue.

• Like 2