Hangar fire today

The was a hangar fire in Barnwell SC that trashed 5 or 6 aircraft, part of the problem was the were several propane tanks and live ammo that was popping off and the fire department couldn't get in close enough to fire the fire. The was a Mooney that melted (plastics and such) and the fire never got to that hangar, just the heat 

Edited by RLCarter

You want to hear stupid. I was once on a 737 that had to turn around and go back to LAX, after a faulty fuel sensor. When they landed, and went to refuel, an oring under the wing gave way. We all had to evacuate with fuel pouring out of the wing. 

One passenger thought that this was the right time to have a cigarette, 20 yards from the wing. 

Pretty sure the captains feet didn’t touch the stairs when he bolted from the aircraft and damn near clocked the guy when he grabbed the smoke from him and tore him a new one. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, RLCarter said:

several propane tanks and live ammo that was popping off and the fire department couldn't get in close enough to fire the fire.

12 hours ago, GLJA said:

Pretty sure the captains feet didn’t touch the stairs when he bolted from the aircraft and damn near clocked the guy when he grabbed the smoke from him and tore him a new one. 

Amazing how people freak out over things they don't know about.  The propane bottles would present a big problem, but the ammo popping off wouldn't endanger anyone.  Unless the round is chambered in a firearm the bullet won't be propelled when it goes off.  The case will actually go further than the bullet and if you're more than 3 feet away, you won't even get a scratch from a direct hit.

Similarly, there is pretty much zero chance of the jet fuel igniting.  Jet fuel is NOT flammable, it is combustible.  Unless the fuel is heated or atomized it will not ignite.  The flammability of jet fuel is so often misunderstood that even my son's science teacher thought it would explode anytime there was a spark nearby.  My son insisted on proving his teacher wrong, so we "borrowed" some jet fuel from the nozzle at the airport and proceeded to make a video putting matches out in the jet fuel.  No explosion, no flame, no excitement.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, M20Doc said:

There was a hangar fire at a local airport today

Clarence

@M20Doc Are you located close to Brampton? I have a friend that bases his Cardinal there (hopefully, not one of the planes involved). We flew in to Brampton about 3 years ago to visit and spend a week touring Canada. Very nice area and airport. I was able to tour the flight school while I was there and came away very impressed.

We will be in Brampton again in June for another visit.

Jim

8 hours ago, jcovington said:

Clarence

@M20Doc Are you located close to Brampton? I have a friend that bases his Cardinal there (hopefully, not one of the planes involved). We flew in to Brampton about 3 years ago to visit and spend a week touring Canada. Very nice area and airport. I was able to tour the flight school while I was there and came away very impressed.

We will be in Brampton again in June for another visit.

Jim

Jim,

we are 25 miles southwest of Brampton at CYKF.

Clarence

19 hours ago, Marauder said:

Any idea if it was a stupid pilot trick. Like draining fuel while they had a propane or kerosene heater running. This situation is one that I really worry about. There are a number of hangar mates around me doing some questionable things.

I’m told by a client whose hangar is in the same row that someone was draining fuel from a 172 when it came into contact with a halogen work light.  Thats all it took to destroy almost 10 airplanes..

Clarence

13 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I’m told by a client whose hangar is in the same row that someone was draining fuel from a 172 when it came into contact with a halogen work light.  Thats all it took to destroy almost 10 airplanes..

Clarence

That is a bum deal. I am always worried about my hangar neighbors doing something stupid. It all started back in the 1990s when a knucklehead decided to paint his plane in his T hangar. He wrapped the entire hangar in plastic and it still got through and onto all of the surrounding planes, including mine.

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

That is a bum deal. I am always worried about my hangar neighbors doing something stupid. It all started back in the 1990s when a knucklehead decided to paint his plane in his T hangar. He wrapped the entire hangar in plastic and it still got through and onto all of the surrounding planes, including mine.

We have a hangar neighbour who we suspect of refuelling his plane with mo-gas in the hangar.  No one has caught him yet.

Clarence

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

That's sad, glad though that no-one was hurt unlike further down on the page re the two boys who died after going through the ice. 

Sadly winter claims lots of people as well.

Clarence

13 hours ago, Marauder said:

Was that at the west t’s. It happened there also, I got mist on a two yr old plane

13 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

That is so unfortunate. I have a standing halogen lamp. It puts out tremendous light and gets so hot that it will burn you if you touch the housing. Sad day.

According to the National Electrical Code, everything in an aircraft hangar within 5 feet of a fuel tank or power plant or within 18 inches of the ground must be Class 1 Div. 2  this includes portable lights.

Just having an extension cord on the floor violates the regs.

• Like 1