buying advise

south

No expert on Mooneys of this vintage but to me the kind of recent damage history described and the lack of an IRAN on the most recent event it would have to be a way more significant reduction off whatever market value is than 3 or 4 grand. I would pass on it, but then again I wouldn’t buy any aircraft with any significant damage history.

This is the weirdest “i’m Buying a Mooney...”  thread we have...

Honesty is good...

Knowing you are inexperienced is good...

But making up how to go about the plane buying process has the high risk of getting unbelievably expensive quickly...

1) If it is written in the plane’s sales info, with the price... the seller fully disclosed it already... how do you expect to ask for a lower price?

2) If you find something that isn’t disclosed in the sales ad... this is a target for negotiation.... (machine sales 101 type of detail)

3) Buying a 50 year old machine without seeing it is just nuts.

4) Following Ken’s guidance of successfully buying a plane is great... when you are on your tenth Or twentieth plane, as Ken has...  Ken’s planes are typically top notch, high end of the spectrum.... way lower on the risk spectrum...

5) Buying a first plane has some financial risk... if something goes wrong, what are you going to do? Can you afford the usual first year challenges?

6) Some people buying their first plane are far enough along in life, the overall risk is minimal....  others, a stuck valve and cylinder replacement took a month to cover.... a corroded cam takes being ready for an OH...

7) What are you going to do when you get there, and something on the plane isn’t like you expected?  It’s too late for negotiation at this point...

8) The toughest part of buying an airplane 1000 miles away... it’s a 1000 miles away... and it costs more money to do it properly...

9) Not doing it properly, means added risk... 

10) committing to having a PPI done on a plane without discussing what you want with the mechanic can be expensive... there is no standard for a PPI, and you may want to stop it at various steps along the way...

11) I bought a local plane the first time... it was very worn out... it took seeing it first hand to know what I was getting....

12) I bought a plane 1000 miles a way that was in great condition, represented by a top notch sales organization... everything in the sales ad was pretty much as expected... it only took seeing it to know the ad had everything truthfully represented.... to standards that everyone is familiar with...

13) having a plane fail a PPI gets expensive quickly... seeing it first can keep this from happening...

14) if this is the first plane you have intended to buy, and you haven’t seen it... take your vacation budget and spend it visiting the area where the plane is... :) I used to combine work trips with other machine related visits...

15) you can always put an offer in, without any reasons behind it... I have this much, will you take it?

16) You probably weren’t thinking with this much detail... buying used machinery can be a full time job...

17) If nothing else, you know what a PPI is and how to use it... This is the best protection your wallet can get...

PP thoughts only, but had some experience buying and selling new and used machines.... there really is a process that works... And mistakes people make all the time...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

21 hours ago, south said:

No adsb, 2 gear ups landings in last 10 years, latest included a prop strike, engine wasn’t OH, but was inspected and cleared, waiting on answer about fuel tanks.

Get it out of your mind and forget it! Keep looking. There are other planes out there without such serious baggage.

On the subject of traveling to see an airplane for purchase or not... In this case, for someone without any Mooney experience, I'd still want to see the airplane, but only after getting someone local with Mooney experience/expertise to put eyes on it. If everything checks out, and all systems are "go". Then as a very last step before putting down a deposit to buy on the plane, I'd hop a flight to go see it.

2 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

On the subject of traveling to see an airplane for purchase or not... In this case, for someone without any Mooney experience, I'd still want to see the airplane, but only after getting someone local with Mooney experience/expertise to put eyes on it. If everything checks out, and all systems are "go". Then as a very last step before putting down a deposit to buy on the plane, I'd hop a flight to go see it.

second, this,  make sure everything is good before becoming emotionally involved by going to "see" the plane.

I'd be concerned about the lack of adsb, it's becoming something of a pain to get avionics work.  

Also consider annualling the plane instead of just a prebuy,  yes more expensive but far cheaper than getting a bad plane

So you guys know I had a prop strike in my aircraft.  I wanted to do the overhaul, but just didn't have the money to put in it.  So Signature Engines tore it apart, inspected, replaced the crankshaft and put it back together.  From the sounds of it you guys think I should just hang it up and stop flying it, but I've put around 100 hours on it with no trouble whatsoever.

If I have to sell it in the near future (a distinct possibility) I might discount it somewhat, but not much.

Just now, steingar said:

So you guys know I had a prop strike in my aircraft.  I wanted to do the overhaul, but just didn't have the money to put in it.  So Signature Engines tore it apart, inspected, replaced the crankshaft and put it back together.  From the sounds of it you guys think I should just hang it up and stop flying it, but I've put around 100 hours on it with no trouble whatsoever.

If I have to sell it in the near future (a distinct possibility) I might discount it somewhat, but not much.

Not at all... the fact that they pulled out your crank, inspected it and then replaced it, makes it a much safer airplane.

The one in question here, just had the crank hub dialed to see that it's not bent. It could be cracked. But because the case wasn't opened and the crank inspected, no one can know.

I'd be happy to fly behind your engine, the one in question in this thread, absolutely not.

• Like 4