Map Pocket

I'm currently using a Tupperware container in either the passenger seat or the passenger side floor to hold Checklists and Sectionals in an electric gear M20F. If something doesn't make it in the Tupperware container, it's certain to end up in the back floor where it can't be reached when needed.

Does anyone have a good solution for a Map Pocket? Maybe something like the attached photo could be used with hook-and-loop fasteners? I haven't been able to find anything like this yet.

2111205879_ScreenShot2019-03-02at3_56_34PM.thumb.png.e3d01e311a2696ffcf15ea5d362ea6ea.png

I keep sectionals / enroutes between the seats, and stack approach plates sideways on the floor below the throttle quadrant. 

My flight bag lives on the right back seat, shoulder strap over the headrest. It's still reachable but won't bounce around in turbulence. 

I generally don't like to keep anything between the seats due to the gear position indicator in the floor.

I check both the in-dash gear-down light as well as the floor gear position indicator during my GUMPS checks. It was the floor gear-down indicator that likely kept me from having a gear-up landing on a night-flight just a couple months back due to a weak gear motor tripping the breaker.

1 hour ago, David_H said:

I generally don't like to keep anything between the seats due to the gear position indicator in the floor.

I check both the in-dash gear-down light as well as the floor gear position indicator during my GUMPS checks. It was the floor gear-down indicator that likely kept me from having a gear-up landing on a night-flight just a couple months back due to a weak gear motor tripping the breaker.

By the time I land, plates have been used and relocated to the floor behind the passenger seat. My floor gear indicator is almost touching the center pedestal, leaving two feet of floor space between it and the back seat. I store lots of stuff there, including lunch and beverages  (which used to go behind the sectionals and in front of my Flight Guide :( ).

I'm currently using a Tupperware container in either the passenger seat or the passenger side floor to hold Checklists and Sectionals in an electric gear M20F. If something doesn't make it in the Tupperware container, it's certain to end up in the back floor where it can't be reached when needed.
Does anyone have a good solution for a Map Pocket? Maybe something like the attached photo could be used with hook-and-loop fasteners? I haven't been able to find anything like this yet.
2111205879_ScreenShot2019-03-02at3_56_34PM.thumb.png.e3d01e311a2696ffcf15ea5d362ea6ea.png

Bruce Jaeger installed a number of pockets in my F when we did my interior. Maybe something like this will work.

30b0c72b6034efe61bb2c5e03dc5c27c.jpg

He used interior car fasteners. Maybe you can use these to attach them through the cardboard backed sidewalls.

fbac0f3251b4ccf73aa22e3bd8267071.jpg

ab58bb55a3b6e6ed643a36d81de60077.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

People still use sectionals?! Wow, that’s cool.  I’d recommend finding room for one iPad and keeping my phone in my pocket.  Load foreflight on both.  $100 basic subscription will cost less in the long run than keeping current maps and it does so much more!  Honestly, an iPad is an awesome space saver in our small Mooney cockpits.

I use and Ipad as well... but also like to keep backup sectionals within reach due to experiencing Ipad overheating in the past. Its nice to be able to quickly get frequencies from a paper sectional if needed.

More importantly, it would be nice to keep checklists in one spot. I use flow checks while in the air... but use checklists while on the ground.

Edited by David_H

I would think that an automobile seat storage setup that hangs on the back of the passenger seat would work well, but I haven’t tried it. I’m putting my interior together now and stupidly chose not to pay to have pockets sewn into the panels...so I’m searching for a good solution also.

Something like this? Car seat organizers

you have to sew straps on if you don’t have a headrest.

As far as charts go, I never fly without a paper chart, even when I’ve got iPad , phone and moving map (which I don’t have in the Mooney).

Edited by PilotCoyote
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

People still use sectionals?! Wow, that’s cool.  I’d recommend finding room for one iPad and keeping my phone in my pocket.  Load foreflight on both.  $100 basic subscription will cost less in the long run than keeping current maps and it does so much more!  Honestly, an iPad is an awesome space saver in our small Mooney cockpits.

I find a tablet is only good for looking about 30 nm ahead, otherwise there is far too much zooming out, scrolling around, zooming in to read the writing (nope, that's not it), and repeating. I also haven't drunk the apple koolaid, although I use an iphone for work and used to have an ipad mini. Personally, Samsung devices fit my brain better, and (free) Avare EFB is on both of them. But no, I would never trust any EFB on any device for primary navigation--it's either certified panel mount or eyes out the window against a map (paper or electronic). The pretty lines on an EFB just aren't accurate . . . . or they would be certified.

Part of the trouble with apple is they don't put GPS on wifi-only models, and they charge about 8X the going rate for more memory. I bought two 32GB cards for $35 two years ago and put one each in my Samsung Galaxy tablet and phone, which would have cost $200 extra to buy installed in apple devices. To say nothing of upgrading the tablet to cellular tomget the GPS chip ($400 more).

So yes, I carry paper sectionals in the air, but find the EFBs to be very handy for preflight planning, especially on those multi-sectional trips. Sure  makes it easier! And I must admit, the georeferenced approach plates are nice, as is automatic switching to georeferenced airport diagrams at unfamiliar, larger airports.

Ain't no way I'd go back to folding paper charts in an airplane.  I have a large tablet on a knee pad and a smaller one on the yoke.   Using both together provides both redundancy and a lot of flexibility, e.g., the approach plates go on the yoke while the map is still up on the knee.   I find this far, far easier than charts, and I can zoom an EFB to read lettering that I would fumble with on a paper chart.

Plus my paper charts didn't work to tap on the airport to get more info or tap on a region to get winds aloft or wx or whatever.   I've tried it before and it didn't work.   Maybe the batteries were dead but I couldn't figure out how to change them.

• Like 3

I have old sectionals I keep around for planning purposes, to get the big picture. On board I have 2 iDevices and a Garmin Aera...not to mention my panel mounted GPS. If I get hit with a EMP I will think back to this thread.
I’m curious, do IFR pilots here still get the approach plates in book form?

Tom

For my O...

1) Checklist pocket... is the one on the left wall next to my knee...

It also holds the mini pilot guides/references for GPSi...

2) IPad holds everything else, including copies of my paper checklists...

3) iPhone is ready to stand in, in the event of iPad failure...

4) in the event of Tom’s EMP event... I have the last paper versions in the back somewhere...

The older I get, the more technology driven I become...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

I use an EFB, so I am no help when it comes to charts.  However, I laminated my checklists and they live tucked in the plastic trim just above the window.  I circled it in the picture below.  It keeps it in easy reach.

checklist holder.jpg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I have old sectionals I keep around for planning purposes, to get the big picture. On board I have 2 iDevices and a Garmin Aera...not to mention my panel mounted GPS. If I get hit with a EMP I will think back to this thread.

Tom

Nope!

• Like 2

there are pockets in the base and back of both front seats, does your mooney not have these ?

also, there is a chart clip on the pilot side wall to hold checklist.

I keep 1 extremely out of date sectional and  an approach plate for my home airport, just in case.

between having 2 tablets and a phone all running Garmin pilot:

Samsung s8+

Samsung s2 tab 8inch,

Samsung s3,

also unlike apple they all have internal gps for when the gdl 393d isn't working.

there is absolutely no way i'd be trying to fiddle with some paper chart If there is another option. 

7 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Tom

Only at work...since I’m required by regulation to carry them and we don’t have a digital alternative (yet).  They are free though- so I don’t mind.

in the mooney, I’m all digital (iPad and an iPhone, both running FlyQ EFB).

I haven't had a paper chart or plate in the five years I've owned an airplane. I also don't carry W&B, POH, or Avionics manuals. It's all on the iPad and backed up on the iPhone. 

It's not difficult to manage battery life, heat, or any other issues that people complain about with EFB's. It just takes an awareness and proper usage.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

t's not difficult to manage battery life, heat, or any other issues that people complain about with EFB's. It just takes an awareness and proper usage.

I agree.  I have flown with iPads for the past 7 years.  For the first 5 it was the iPad 2.  I have had it in some of the worst places on the planet it include locations were it was up to 130 F inside the cockpit.  I have never had a single one shut down due to heat, and I always carry a battery pack back-up just in case.  

• Like 1

Redundancy. Current moving maps, IFR or "Sectional", and approach plates are on the GTN, the 696 and Garmin Pilot on the Ipad and the phone. 

Like KP, I stow the laminated check list overhead along with a small pad of paper and a 6 slot pen holder. For scribbling clearances and route changes.  

IMG_20180720_104754102_HDR.jpg