Carbon Monoxide PPM?

AlexLev

3 hours ago, m20kmooney said:

These seem relatively inexpensive and can be disposable. I wonder how they work and how long they last.

https://www.bestreviews.guide/carbon-monoxide-detector-for-car

I only glanced at a few, and can't comment on them in general.  The one I looked at in detail doesn't give CO concentrations.  It alarms at 100ppm, which is a bit higher than I'd like.

Edited by neilpilot

I doubt stingy that individual readings from these devices in the single or low double digit range are in anyway meaningful.  Just another gadget shooting numbers at you making you unnecessarily nervous.  The only time I'd trust a single reading is if it set off the alarm or explained my discomfort.

What such  devices do is allow us to see trends.  If I see CO2 levels rising constantly I'll start thinking about exhaust leaks, for example.  But I'm not going to worry about low levels of CO2, it isn't even what those things were built to detect.

7 hours ago, m20kmooney said:

These seem relatively inexpensive and can be disposable. I wonder how they work and how long they last.

https://www.bestreviews.guide/carbon-monoxide-detector-for-car

A few years ago I bought some of those and gave most away as gifts.   I think they're marginally useful, better than nothing, but not nearly as good as having a decent monitor with a numerical display.

For those seeking an update: The next saga in this story. In short, the 6PPM did accurately display a small crack in muffler and allowed me to catch it early. I think the key is that it came on when heat was on, and off when heat came off.

Edited by AlexLev
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2019 at 6:57 PM, Jim Peace said:

These detectors are great....they always are within a few numbers of each other......I have one to check the checker...anyone have a carbon dioxide detector?  is it needed?

IMG_0405.jpeg

I had a carbon dioxide detector but it kept alarming as I got to altitude and started belching from all the beer I drank waiting to be #1 for departure. Had to get rid of it.

There actually are portable detectors that measure SpO2 and CO in the blood but in my opinion they have absolutely NO use in aviation since you can measure the environment much more precisely and inexpensively.

• Like 1

For those not familiar....

CO is bad... part of exhaust fumes that gets generated when excess O2 is not available...

CO2 is naturally exhaled, or in beer... not particularly good for you, but doesn’t lock onto your red blood cells blocking O2 like CO does...

When not paying attention to this particular detail... MSers start to load up on the humor... :)

If you are buying a sensor... the CO one is the one you want...

Get one that is aviation specific...

Get one that everyone else has... this way if there is a failure mode...  you can find out about it before you have first hand experience.

PP thoughts only, not a sensor salesguy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1