10 year old's first flight

A buddy of mine has a son who saw the movie "Sully" and is asking a lot of questions about aviation. So I'm excited to have the chance to take him up for his first flight ever and get a youngster excited about being a pilot. I was hoping the group may have some ideas for me of how to make it extra special.

My thought is to really walk him through things like he is the pilot, like my first intro flight was done with me. But I was thinking maybe a tshirt or some small token he could take to school and show his friends? Or wondered if you guys had any ideas of what to do in the air or destinations that would be fun (I'm in the D.C. area)?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In true Sully form... flying the Hudson River would make a great second flight....! :)

It has the Statue of Liberty and the Freedom tower and a bunch of easily recognizable buildings and arenas and ball parks...

Kids like to know why aerobatic pilots like to eat bananas before the flight.... they taste the same going down, as they....

They also like to know how to avoid getting ill... where the cabin air comes from and how to adjust it...

Plan C... have ziplock bags and paper towels available...

Headsets and volume controls....

Climb until you reach smooth cool air...

Share the controls...

Have Fun!

PP thoughts only, not a CFI....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, we decided due to weather, First Flight was the way to go! Tangiers was LIFR. 

Slightly bumpy on the way there with some time through clouds which gave us a chance to mention @carusoam insight on aerobatic pilot breakfast choices. On the way back we watched the sunset through the clouds before landing back at KHEF.

It's amazing to experience that first GA flight again through the eyes and smiles of children!

• Like 6

JRam,

Now keep his spark alive.

Two places close (relatively) to us (KHEF) that I would also recommend.

KDRG, Reading PA., Mid Atlantic Air Museum and a good restaurant across the ramp.

KHKY, Hickory, NC., Small Museum and a café, both in the terminal.

As you, took a neighbor and his son, nice flight out, looked at airplanes, ate, and nice flight back.

• Like 1

My introductory flights with my grand kids were more exciting to me than my first flight - may be a bit late now for your flight, but I memorialized the entire process from walking around the plane and explaining what each component does while having them assist in the pre-flight.  Then I go to the safety brief, then its their turn to read off the checklist items as I respond.  We find a good spot to turn over the controls.  All this happens with go pros running.  The payoff is a video posted on YouTube that they can share with friends and schoolmates for proof when they get challenged. 

Hopefully it ignites the spark in their friends as well.    

• Like 2