QT HALO Headset - SOLD

I purchased a Quiet Technologies HALO headset at Oshkosh last summer thinking it would become my primary headset.  It doesn't seem to play nice with my old radios, so I've decided to part with it.  I probably should have done this a long time ago, but with all the great reviews I really wanted to try every style of earplug and have my wife do the same.  I also didn't feel right mentioning it for sale on the other headset threads before I had made my donation.

It's practically new.  We both tried the same set of yellow foam earplugs and I tried the black ones once, but all the rest are unused.  It was the mic that didn't work well with my radios.  If you need pictures let me know, but I think everyone knows what this is.

Since I regularly use all 4 seats and only have 4 headsets, I'd like to see if anyone is interested in trading an older ANR headset for it.  The only ANR headset I've been able to try out has worked beautifully, so that's the direction I'd like to go.  Make me an offer!

If I don't have an acceptable trade worked out by 3/7/19, I'll sell it for cash.  Full disclosure, I already have one offer to buy it for cash, but if that falls through, I'll go down the list.

Funny thing about the microphone....

If it gets turned 90 degrees... it will not pick up the voice... having it hidden in the foam... it can be a challenge to know it is pointing the wrong direction...

Pull the foam off to see where it is pointing... twist to aim... then put the foam back on...

I have an old David Clark, hardly used but very aged, not ANR, If you want to trade even for the ‘broken’ Halo?  :)

Good luck with the trade...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Just curious, what was the issue and how old are the radios?  I was having an issues where I'd almost have to yell into the mic to get the audio panel to pick up my voice before dummy me realized the squelch switch on the GMA340 was set to high.  Once I adjusted that, all is good.  It was irritating until I figured it out though. 

The GMA340 is "new" to me, so I'm having some growing pains after using PS Engineering stuff for a really long time.... ;)

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by flight2000

That's the exact problem I'm having.  I have to yell into the mic in order for it to pick up my voice.  The problem is when I adjust the squelch so that the HALO picks up easily, then the other headsets are picking up the ambient noise in the plane.  The HALO works great if I'm the only one in the plane, and I'm sure it would work fine if all occupants had HALO's.  This same problem was experienced by another MS'er and went away when he purchased a new plane.

I suppose I could use "airplane math" and use the HALO's as an excuse to justify new avionics or a new plane!

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Funny thing about the microphone....

If it gets turned 90 degrees... it will not pick up the voice... having it hidden in the foam... it can be a challenge to know it is pointing the wrong direction...

Pull the foam off to see where it is pointing... twist to aim... then put the foam back on...

I have an old David Clark, hardly used but very aged, not ANR, If you want to trade even for the ‘broken’ Halo?  :)

Good luck with the trade...

Best regards,

-a-

Not sure about other headsets, but with the Halo's you can check without removing the foam. If you squeeze the mic a little you can feel the flat sides, just make sure one of the flat sides is facing your mouth.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Not sure about other headsets, but with the Halo's you can check without removing the foam. If you squeeze the mic a little you can feel the flat sides, just make sure one of the flat sides is facing your mouth.

It also has to be the correct flat side.  One flat side has small round holes (that's the side that picks up your voice), while the other side has longer slits in it (that side will not pick up your voice).  I like the light feel on my head and not having it squeezed on long trips, I really wanted these to work out.

29 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

It also has to be the correct flat side.  One flat side has small round holes (that's the side that picks up your voice), while the other side has longer slits in it (that side will not pick up your voice).  I like the light feel on my head and not having it squeezed on long trips, I really wanted these to work out.

I purchased my Halos from someone who, like you, just didn't like them. I almost gave up them myself until the black tips became available. 

2 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

Thanks, I didn't know that. I guess I've been lucky to have the correct flat side going the right direction, if I ever have a mic problem I will try to remember this.

5 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

That's the exact problem I'm having.  I have to yell into the mic in order for it to pick up my voice.  The problem is when I adjust the squelch so that the HALO picks up easily, then the other headsets are picking up the ambient noise in the plane.  The HALO works great if I'm the only one in the plane, and I'm sure it would work fine if all occupants had HALO's.  This same problem was experienced by another MS'er and went away when he purchased a new plane.

I suppose I could use "airplane math" and use the HALO's as an excuse to justify new avionics or a new plane!

Oh, that's an interesting thought/problem set.  Haven't had any back seaters in the "new" plane yet, so this could be a problem with the GMA340.  Never had that issue with the PS audio panels I've had in the past, so I may be doing some swapping around if mine acts that way as well.  Will know more once I test out that in the near future.  Thanks for the info! 

Brian

@skydvrboy you don't need a new plane... well we all actually need new airplanes... but if you'll replace your audio panel with one from PS Engineering... such as the PMA450b... I'm sure any Halo issues will be gone, the sound quality will be improved across the board. Any electronic noise will also be eliminated. I never thought a good audio panel could make such a difference in the cockpit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also - there are two types of halos sold.  One for GA and the other for hot mic jet cockpits that have much less noise and intercoms that are always on.  Those have some sort of a different impedeence mic explained on the halo faq on their website.  It could be you have the incorrect mic setup.  I’d give Phil a call and he may be able to set them straight.   

I just got my Halos and am still in the trial stage.  In the bag of foam tips are some black, domed ear plugs.  I tried one on my right ear and could not get any audio.  There are no straws inserted in the earplug so I attached them directly to the soft plastic tube.  Has anyone figured out how to make the black tips work.  these are a little different from earlier black tips that used to be sold on Halo's site.  Let me now if you have figured these out. 

@skydvrboy If you’re wanting to try in the ear headsets, have you looked at Clarify Aloft headsets?  I have Bose A20 and a Clarity Aloft Classic Headset and found that I prefer the Clarity Aloft for the same you reasons you mentioned - I don’t get the head clamp feeling after an hour in the air.  I found the Clarify Aloft to be very well built and I have not had an issue using it in multiple aircraft / helicopters (with adapter) with different audio panels.  They are great!

1 hour ago, FoxMike said:

I just got my Halos and am still in the trial stage.  In the bag of foam tips are some black, domed ear plugs.  I tried one on my right ear and could not get any audio.  There are no straws inserted in the earplug so I attached them directly to the soft plastic tube.  Has anyone figured out how to make the black tips work.  these are a little different from earlier black tips that used to be sold on Halo's site.  Let me now if you have figured these out. 

Expect that there is a hole that goes all the way though the ear plug... no hole... no sound... get new plug...

if listening to the end of the tube with no plug in it... there should be sound and ambient noise.... put a plug on it that works...

Its the high tech that makes them work...

It’s pretty low tech stuff that gets in the way that makes them not work...  

Fortunately, the low tech issues are pretty easy to find...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I stumbled upon this thread and it caused me to get my non-favorite Halos back out. What a difference it makes to know that the mic needs to be directional! I’m not sure how I missed this in the instructions, but I’m so glad that I still had the Halos after I read this thread. They are now my go to headset - easily. My passengers can now wear the DC 13.4’s.

#ThanksMooneySpace

• Like 4