Rental Mooney

JimB

I am trying to arrange my schedule, a CFI's schedule and the weather to pick up my new aircraft that is a 3 hours drive away. This obviously isn't going all that well. Was supposed to go over today but the weather didn't cooperate and doesn't look all that good for the foreseeable future. So i was thinking about trying to find a rental M20F or J located in a better weather location, fly in and get some instruction for a day or two. I have searched the site and not a lot on this. If I search "rental" I get car rentals and rentals vs owning. Anyone know of a rental Mooney somewhere in some better weather may be south or west? Thanks

14 minutes ago, Hank said:

Hmmmm . . . . The search for the ever-elusive unicorn continues . . . . Good luck!! Let us know if you find one, it may be useful for other buyers. 

Isn't that the truth! Just thought I would try. Unfortunately all the ones I can find are not in any better weather location than I am and most of the old links in previous threads are dead or the club doesn't have the aircraft anymore. 

There is a unicorn to be rented in NJ...

But that is about an 11 hour drive away from you... :)

Consider building a Mooney flying club in your area....  this helps with fly-ins, and plane deliveries for maintenance and things like that...

If you are getting the usual Transition Training... does that person have a Mooney?

You are going to be Spending some money....  get the most training out each dollar that you spend....

The one way car rental is probably the CB way of doing it...  if something goes awry... you can always use the rental car to get back home...

I did a BFR with a local CFI in a rented C172... and picked up my plane 100nm away at the same time.... he was getting paid while building time... I just wanted to get my plane....  that worked out pretty well... three birds with one stone... :)

PP ideas that come to mind...

Best regards,

-a-

9 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Out of pure curiosity I wonder what they charge.  

Not difficult to find out; it's on their web site: "The wet hobbs rate for this aircraft is $285 an hour, the advanced purchase discount will make it $271 an hour."

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 3:29 PM, JimB said:

I am trying to arrange my schedule, a CFI's schedule and the weather to pick up my new aircraft that is a 3 hours drive away. This obviously isn't going all that well. Was supposed to go over today but the weather didn't cooperate and doesn't look all that good for the foreseeable future. So i was thinking about trying to find a rental M20F or J located in a better weather location, fly in and get some instruction for a day or two. I have searched the site and not a lot on this. If I search "rental" I get car rentals and rentals vs owning. Anyone know of a rental Mooney somewhere in some better weather may be south or west? Thanks

https://www.coastalskies.com/

This flying club in the Houston area has a nicely equipped F model that seems reasonable priced. Not sure if you need to join the club for that price or not. Probably do.  

The rate for this F model is okay. 

https://www.coastalskies.com/

$165/hr for their F model is a steal compared to the overall actual cost of my D.

“If it flies, floats, or fornicates, then it’s cheaper to rent...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

$165/hr for their F model is a steal compared to the overall actual cost of my D.

“If it flies, floats, or fornicates, then it’s cheaper to rent...”

Most likely need to join the flying club and pay the dues if I were to guess. 

If only I had a club nearby... with a Mooney... Maybe I’ll start one? Breaking down the hours flown compared to the overall costs I think I have paid over $800/hr. That’s my own fault. Hopefully that’ll drop this year with active use.

2 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

If only I had a club nearby... with a Mooney... Maybe I’ll start one? Breaking down the hours flown compared to the overall costs I think I have paid over $800/hr. That’s my own fault. Hopefully that’ll drop this year with active use.

Many on this site extol the virtues of NOT 'doing the math'  :):)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mcstealth said:

Many on this site extol the virtues of NOT 'doing the math'  :):)

LOL. In a leaseback or club environment the closest to math one should consider is (a) it might help defray some costs and (b) will it actually cost me more?

That's especially true with the "unusual" airplane. The point was brought home to me by a Turbo 182 RG. It was available for rental and transition training. "Training" meant 100 hour inspections and, as a HP rental, insurance cost more. Then, as the "unusual" airplane in the fleet (even in a fleet of normally-aspirated straight legged 172 and 182s), it was rarely rented. The owner called me one day to say he was taking it offline. "It's costing me more and all I am getting is a tired airplane." 

(He called me because he saw I was one of those who rented it for longer trips and offered me a private rental)

• Like 1

Three flying clubs I'm aware of that have a mooney/Moonies

Des Moines, Iowa (DSMFC) - probably has the best lineup of single engine planes of any flying club I've seen 2 M20Js, an A36 and a Toga. 

Charlottesville VA (monticello, F model)

Chapel Hill NC (Wings of Carolina, Js)

I'm wondering if all of these old aircraft keep potential new pilots away from flying. Looking at the sites given here reveal mostly old, crusty 172's and Cherokees. Paying $135/hr for a 1970's vintage 172 with original panel and a portable Garmin pasted into the panel with an Air Gizmo mount is not exactly a welcome mat for new flyers in the 21st Century.